Windows 10: have external monitor - need to split screen to show one on monitor and one on laptop

Discus and support have external monitor - need to split screen to show one on monitor and one on laptop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have attached a monitor to my laptop. I want to be able to move certain files to the monitor to view while continuing on the laptop with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ajax88, Oct 17, 2019.

1. ajax88 Win User

have external monitor - need to split screen to show one on monitor and one on laptop

I have attached a monitor to my laptop. I want to be able to move certain files to the monitor to view while continuing on the

laptop with a different file.

right now i see the same thing on both monitors.

:)

ajax88, Oct 17, 2019
  2. Cbowers3 Win User

Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Oct 17, 2019
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

4. have external monitor - need to split screen to show one on monitor and one on laptop

Applications Not Opening on my External Monitor

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Win 10. I have a Samsung external monitor attached via HDMI.

My background display and task bar DO appear on the external monitor, but when I open applications such as Outlook, Google Chrome, etc., they open on the laptop screen NOT on my external monitor.

I have shutdown both the laptop and external monitor and rebooted. The external monitor is listed in Device listing. I have the display setup for Extended Desktop and when I select Identify, it shows me 1 as the laptop and 2 as the external monitor.
    I have unplugged both ends of the HDMI cable.

How do I get apps to open on my external monitor? Thanks for any assistance. Cheryl

CherylVernon1, Oct 17, 2019
Thema:

have external monitor - need to split screen to show one on monitor and one on laptop

1. have external monitor - need to split screen to show one on monitor and one on laptop - Similar Threads - external monitor need

2. Dual Monitors showing up as one monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitors showing up as one monitor: I just got a vga port splitterfor the first time and connected my two monitors who both support vga and windows does detect two monitors but when i tried to identify which one is which in the display section of the windows settings they both show up as one. Please look at the...
  3. Dual Monitors showing up as one monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitors showing up as one monitor: I just got a vga port splitterfor the first time and connected my two monitors who both support vga and windows does detect two monitors but when i tried to identify which one is which in the display section of the windows settings they both show up as one. Please look at the...
  4. Dual Monitors showing up as one monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Split monitors

Split monitors: HOW do I correct my display monitors as they show 1/2. And not separate. 1. And. 2... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/split-monitors/c6f4b6b3-3794-4f26-8df5-ef7318611748
  6. Split monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Split monitors: HOW do I correct my display monitors as they show 1/2. And not separate. 1. And. 2... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/split-monitors/c6f4b6b3-3794-4f26-8df5-ef7318611748
  7. Two monitors showing up as one.

Two monitors showing up as one.: I have a 3 monitor setup on my surface go laptop one screen is connected via xbox casting and the other two are connected via the dodocool 7 in one usb c hub i have a vga and a hdmi connected they all show different thing except for the usbc hub they show the smae thing in...
  8. Two monitors showing up as one.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two monitors showing up as one.: I have a 3 monitor setup on my surface go laptop one screen is connected via xbox casting and the other two are connected via the dodocool 7 in one usb c hub i have a vga and a hdmi connected they all show different thing except for the usbc hub they show the smae thing in...
  9. Split one screen in to 4

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Split one screen in to 4: Is it possible to split my screen in to 4 "virtual screen" I watch a lot of soccer and would like to watch 4 games at the same time in fullscreen but i dont know how i would do that submitted by /u/halojeppe [link] [comments]...
  10. Two external monitors on one laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two external monitors on one laptop: Hi all! I am using my laptop for work and have been using an external monitor with it as well. I would like to add an additional. I have two ports, a VGA and an HDMI but windows will only allow me to output to one. Is there any way for me to "output" one screen but have my...