Windows 10: Have I ruined my environment variables some how? Most programs launch with errors or dont...

Discus and support Have I ruined my environment variables some how? Most programs launch with errors or dont... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Okay so I'm going to try and keep this as coherent as possible, but basically my computer has been acting incredibly strange. For example I'll launch a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dom_301, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Dom_301 Win User

Have I ruined my environment variables some how? Most programs launch with errors or dont...

Okay so I'm going to try and keep this as coherent as possible, but basically my computer has been acting incredibly strange. For example I'll launch a program like minecraft through the official minecraft launcher and it won't be able to find my java installation even though I specifically set the directory to the java installation. I tried launching minecraft through a third party launcher and it worked completely fine. Another Issue I get is with league of legends. Every other time I launch it I will have to reinstall it because if will repeatedly crash and the crash logs are empty. If I reinstal it, it'll work fine. Then on steam I get issues with another game where I launch it and I get some error saying "adobe air is not found" and I have to reinstall that game to fix it as well, even though It just breaks and I will have to keep re-installing it. An issue that happens more freqeuntly is not being able to launch any windows service programs without running as admin. (task manager, group policy editor, services, registry editor) I thought this might've been an Issue with my registry so I scanned it with CC Cleaner and another software and repaired all detected errors, but all the issues above still occur. To add more to the insanity I also factory reset the drive where I have windows installed, it TEMPORARILY fixed the problem until 30 minutes after where all the issues listed above started happening again. I can't entirely remember when these things started happening but I think It might've been when I installed malwarebytes and it detected hundreds of false positives for various programs including windows files as well. (anti-cheats for games and other non malicious files) I have no idea what step to take next. I thought about wiping all of my drives but I really really am hoping there is a better solution as my other drive has hundreds of gigabytes of data that I really cant afford to lose right now. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

I THINK THE CAUSE OF THIS MAY BE MY SYSTEM ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES, I ADDED PYTHON TO THE PATH BUT AM NOT SURE IF THAT IS WHAT IS CAUSING IT.

:)

Dom_301, Aug 21, 2019
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

3. Searching environment variable in list

I'm using a command that gives me a list of environment variables. When searching in the list, I want to find all environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL; using the following command all that is occurring is all the environment variables are being listed instead of those environment variables with the word
    EXTERNAL ?

findstr /c "EXTERNAL"

StraightWorld, Aug 21, 2019
  4. Bree Win User

Have I ruined my environment variables some how? Most programs launch with errors or dont...

System environment variable won't stick

Yes, there's an OK button for each step.

Have I ruined my environment variables some how? Most programs launch with errors or dont... [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Have I ruined my environment variables some how? Most programs launch with errors or dont... - Similar Threads - ruined environment variables

2. environment variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  3. environment variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    environment variables: Cant get the modal window when editing my system variables from the environment variables areai get this windowand i want this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/07d24fc8-345d-4062-8169-3fa9bb16a049
  4. environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    environment variables: I have accidentally deleted all environment variables and now can't reset PC, sound problems and having errors withsoftware installations and running of other apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/3412f031-f141-4fb5-858c-009dd5639860
  5. environment variables

environment variables: Hi, another question from a noob. I see in my PC environment variables at the bottom of the list a sole entry called ZES_ENABLE SYSMAN 1 .I am a sole PC home windows 10 user who only really games a lot. Should this be here, i can only find entries for this in the...
  6. Environment Variables

Environment Variables: I am unable to add USER Variable in windows environment variable setting. Not asking for Path variables in system variables. Help will be appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/0d063cb8-ccde-465d-8b8b-d5c1ea880c78
  7. environment variable

environment variable: What would happen when we deleted all the environment variable system directory. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variable/723a4cb6-5baf-4907-a56b-614f35d77da5
  8. windows environment variable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows environment variable: I have deleted all thing and every thing from windows environment variable that's why I faces problem in running programe than how can I setup environment variable again?...
  9. how to reset environment variables

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to reset environment variables: when I am trying to execute commands in cmp it through error like it is not recognized as internal or external command,operable program or batch file. even though i am done modifications in path....
  10. Environment Variables

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Environment Variables: what will happen if i accidentally delete one of those environment variables without realizing it ? and how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/environment-variables/fedbdf36-ce8e-4861-a775-1dc62dd1c67e