Windows 10: Have I upgraded to the wrong version?

Discus and support Have I upgraded to the wrong version? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, I've just bought a new laptop: a Lenovo Z51, Windows 8.1, 8GB RAM. I've immediately upgraded it to Windows 10. I had a few problems on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jedzi, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Jedzi Win User

Have I upgraded to the wrong version?

Hi there,

I've just bought a new laptop: a Lenovo Z51, Windows 8.1, 8GB RAM. I've immediately upgraded it to Windows 10.

I had a few problems on the way, but I thought I'd finally got there. (One thing I haven't sorted is activation, but I'll contact the company I bought it from tomorrow).

However I've just noticed that in the Computer Properties it says:
    System Type: 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    That suggests to me that I've downloaded the wrong version. So my first question is: have I messed-up?

Secondly, if I have, once I've finished sobbing, my understanding is that my only options are:
    1. Live with it, but then it will be slower and won't be able to use all of the RAM.
    2. Do a clean install, making sure that I download the right version.

Am I right?

Regards,

:)

Jedzi, Aug 29, 2015

2. Seem to have upgraded to the wrong edition of windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

I would like to let you know that there is no way to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise.

In this situation I suggest you to rollback to Windows 8.1 pro and then use the update channel to upgrade to Windows 10. Alternatively you may also use the ISO file to upgrade to Windows 10.

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature:
    How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised August 17th, 2016

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool: Windows 10 herunterladen

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Seem to have upgraded to the wrong edition of windows 10

Thank you for your reply,

I actually didn't mean to upgrade to enterprise, I'm not actually sure how that happened. Unfortunately the option to go back to an earlier build isn't there under the recovery options for some reason? I still have the windows 8 Pro disc. Could I installed
    using the disc? Then update to windows 8.1 and then install Windows 10 using the media creation tool. Would all my apps and files stay installed on my computer or wll they be deleted if I install windows 8 pro.

Thank you so much for your help.

Below is a pic showing the options I get under recovery.

Have I upgraded to the wrong version? [​IMG]

dfatSalmon, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

If you "just bought it", I'm going to guess your quickest option (unless you've already loaded gobs of user data and other programs on it) is going to be reverting to the factory restore, confirming your factory Win 8.1 is activated, and THEN re-upgrading to Win 10 with the correct 64-bit edition of Win 10.

Not sure why you had an activation problem unless you 1) Tried to clean install first without doing the required upgrade and activation first or 2) tried to upgrade from a non-Pro edition of Win 8.1 to the Win 10 Pro edition.

Word Man, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    Since this is a new laptop, I expect it should not only be a 64 bit plattform, but it should really also include the right version of the OS, meaning the 64 bit one. Given that there is no way to upgrade from 64 bit Windows 8.1 to 32 bit Windows 10...I am confused. You must have done a clean installation - that would also explain why Windows 10 does not activate...

Anyway, following the guide by Word Man should bring you on the right track.

Joergi, Aug 30, 2015
  6. The Upgrade tool ensures that you keep the same bit length when you do the Win10 upgrade: 32-bit to 32-bit, 64-bit to 64-bit. I even tested it once to confirm that and right away, I got a popup saying I was using the wrong version and it refused to run the Upgrade.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Have I upgraded to the wrong version? - Similar Threads - upgraded wrong version

2. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  3. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong Version . . .: I've been trying to download, Windows 10 home version. But whenever I do it it's the pro version!I don't know, if I'm not licensed for it? But all I know, after installing pro. It says, "Activate" Windows!I want to put, the installation media. On my USB drive.So please give...
  4. Wrong Version . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I have the free version of windows and now I want to upgrade and buy the best version of...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have the free version of windows and now I want to upgrade and buy the best version of...: I want to buy the real windows 10 and have the free version on my pc. How do I upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-the-free-version-of-windows-and-now-i-want/ea8c9624-8c75-420c-8eff-dc8a38572a52
  6. I have a problem I seem to have hit the wrong version of Win I somehow have Pro, Which I...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have a problem I seem to have hit the wrong version of Win I somehow have Pro, Which I...: Hello I need to know how I am to correct the version of win on my Toshiba I have no activation or lic # from the Home version I had received with the purchase of my PC I am sooo frustrated and confused for months now.. Thank You, So much LIz...
  7. Purchased wrong upgrade version of Windows 10, can I return for right version?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Purchased wrong upgrade version of Windows 10, can I return for right version?: I purchased and have a product key for Windows 10 Home upgrade but then noticed I have Windows 7 Professional, and the Media Creation Tool downloaded Windows 10 Pro upgrade. How can I return my Home upgrade version for a Pro upgrade version?...
  8. Wrong windows version, can i upgrade

Wrong windows version, can i upgrade: so i recently rebuilt my pc from the ground up, and i installed the wrong version of windows (i had pro, i installed home). Can i upgrade to pro so my product key can be moved without reinstalling windows?...
  9. upgraded to the newest version but did it wrong

upgraded to the newest version but did it wrong: Hi there, I recently upgraded my 1607 version to the latest version of Windows but I didn't do it correctly, I did it how one of your techs online showed me how to do it. I did not create a back up nor a bootable copy of the Windows I was installing etc we simply put the...
  10. Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Have I upgraded to wrong version of 10?: I'm not too happy with 10 and wanted to roll back to 8.1 but when I tried everything worked perfectly till the last moment when I was left with a black screen. I gave windows Tech permission to access my PC and they tried it - same result. I was called back and told to call...