Windows 10: Have lost ability to move files, folders, windows; can't select text;

Discus and support Have lost ability to move files, folders, windows; can't select text; in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; OS 2004 version 19041.685 I can not move any of my files or folders. When I open something I can not move the window. Google Chrome will not open.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nikilet, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Nikilet Win User

Have lost ability to move files, folders, windows; can't select text;

OS 2004 version 19041.685

I can not move any of my files or folders. When I open something I can not move the window. Google Chrome will not open. I've tried a system restore to the day before this happened, which would have been 1/5/2021 and it completed successfully but did not change this situation.

Right now I am going through some instructions found at Cant move desktop icons or drag and drop files - Microsoft Community
    I am running sfc /scannow for the second time. I ran it once and it reported that there were some files that had been replaced or fixed. Before I could take a screenshot of it something happened and the screen turned white and I didn't get it, so I'm running it again to see what happens.

I just discovered I can't select text. I also can not change my desktop background or theme. I can select it and it appears to be selected, but it does not change. When I click on a link in my email it does not take me to it.

Previous to this happening I was watching a video on YouTube about Blake Sheldon and Amanda Lambert. I had put it on pause and left to do something. When I came back the video picture had changed so I just closed it out and then discovered I couldn't move my files and folders.

I just thought of something else I did before I started watching that video. I received instructions through an article I get on how to keep the taskbar from being hidden, so I applied those instructions, and it did work. But maybe that is what has screwed things up. These were the instructions I followed: When a Program Window Covers the Taskbar Cloudeight InfoAve (thundercloud.net)

:)

Nikilet, Jan 7, 2021
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Arul_D Win User
    File selection lost continuously

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

• Are you trying to access detail pane under view tab or right click on the file and select properties and details?

• What are the steps you have followed to open the details view?
    I would suggest you open the folder which contains PDF files and click on view and check details pane and check if you are able to get the details view.

Reply us back with the required information. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Jan 7, 2021
  4. YIN
    Yin Win User

Looking for a program which grabs folders\files and converts it into text

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a program which lets you pick a folder and grabs all the files\folders names and puts it in a text file.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, sorry if it doesn't.

Thema:

1. Have lost ability to move files, folders, windows; can't select text; - Similar Threads - lost ability move

2. When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?: Previously in Win 10 I had the option to select files and folders to backup with File History.This no longer appears to be available in Win 11 which would appear to be an oversight. I am interested to know when it will be reinstated so that I and many others can conduct their...
  3. When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will File History with the ability to SELECT files and folders in Win 11 be re-instated?: Previously in Win 10 I had the option to select files and folders to backup with File History.This no longer appears to be available in Win 11 which would appear to be an oversight. I am interested to know when it will be reinstated so that I and many others can conduct their...
  4. Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...: Hello All, I've just upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a few days ago. I have noticed that the 'File Explorer' tab is severely lacking in function. I need the ability to search for very specific, unusual key words or names in my historic .docx Word Documents and Pdf's. I'm very...
  5. Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - 'File Explorer' has lost ability to search for specific text in documents. Can...: Hello All, I've just upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 a few days ago. I have noticed that the 'File Explorer' tab is severely lacking in function. I need the ability to search for very specific, unusual key words or names in my historic .docx Word Documents and Pdf's. I'm very...
  6. my folders and excel lost text

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my folders and excel lost text: my pc was running slowly, so I restarted it Sunday morning. I did nothing with my pc til Monday morning. I had to use the power button to turn it on and discovered the text are missing when using windows explorer for folders and the text is missing in my excel spreadsheets....
  7. folder lost in Move

folder lost in Move: Windows 10 - all latest updatesI Moved a directory "name" from a folder under Documents to another directory tree. After I did this the directory "name" had disappeared and I have not been able to find it including the Recycle Bin.The move was done using a right click select...
  8. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer: Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer. I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer....
  9. Lost the ability to rearrange folders pinned to the start menu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lost the ability to rearrange folders pinned to the start menu.: I just tried to rearrange all the things I have pinned in my start menu and came to realize that it's impossible for me to move folders pinned to Start. I can move around pinned apps and programs without any problem, but if I pin My Documents, Recycle Bin or any other folder,...
  10. Lost the ability to update Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Lost the ability to update Windows: There are a number of us in the Windows Insider Program that have lost the ability to update Windows. There are some variations on the theme but, basically, Win10 will download the package and say that there is an update that needs a reboot to install. The install/reboot...