Windows 10: Have router connected to switch

Discus and support Have router connected to switch in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Wait a minute! I do not want this: Internet > Modem > Router > Switch, but I want Internet > Modem > Router > Switch > Secondary Router. I would like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by evantig, May 4, 2016.

1. evantig Win User

Have router connected to switch

Wait a minute! I do not want this: Internet > Modem > Router > Switch, but I want Internet > Modem > Router > Switch > Secondary Router. I would like devices that connect to the secondary router to also receive an internet connection. And yes, I understand that it probably makes no sense to do this.

:)

evantig, May 4, 2016

2. Connectivity issues with windows 10

I am a student living in hostel, for every 50 rooms there is a switch(wired) connected to main router. Some people use wifi routers to connect other devices. Under my switch, there are around 10 wifi
    routers. I am not using any wifi routers and directly connected to switch. When I set my Ethernet's IPv4 preferences to "obtain IP address automatically" It is registering under TP-Link_84506A router. I am unable to access the internet. I think it should connect
    to main college router. I am using static IP to connect to the main router (CISCO). How to solve this problem without using static IP? Same problem is seen in other laptops under this switch.

I think it is not TP-Link's mistake. We turned it off and then laptops started to connect to other wifi routers. All of us are using windows 10.

Note: All Wifi routers have 4 to 6 ethernet ports for wired network connections.

ShivaPrasad2634, May 4, 2016
  3. No Home network with windows 10????

Thank you for your reply

No that did not work.

I have the router to the phone line and a NETGEAR GIGABIT SWITCH linked to the router.

Computers and house LAN system are connected to the switch.

All was fine until windows 10.

SpikeRicketts, May 4, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

And the need for a second Router is what? It can be used as simply another Switch, just don't connect a cable in the Uplink port which usually is for connecting to a Modem.
    Modem to Router Uplink port, RJ45 ports to 3 devices and 4th to the Switch, one port on the Switch to another Switch, show how-to in the manual. I've done it this way but was short 2 ports so changed the 5-port Switch to an 8-port Switch. Two ports are for printers and two ports are for NAS drives. For best speeds the Router/s and Switch should be rated at 10/100/1000 or Gigabit. A Wireless Router should be 802.11n or ac.

One setup I'm having to work with in the next day or two is adding a Wireless Access Point/WAP to a wired Network, trying to do it with a second Wi-Fi Router as the WAP.

Berton, May 4, 2016
  5. evantig Win User
    Well, I found the issue. Just needed to disable the DHCP management of the secondary router and change its IP address so that it would not conflict. Thanks anyway!

evantig, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Have router connected to switch - Similar Threads - router connected switch

2. settings for connecting router

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings for connecting router: each time trying to connect router through cable modem i lose internet, new router but internet does not get through it . also recently upgraded to win 10,is there some setting to change? have tried all trouble shoot, please anyone, have been battleing this for long time,...
  3. Can't connect with wireless router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect with wireless router: From one of my Windows 10 PC's I'm not able to connect anymore with my wireless router which connect with the Internet. Until a few hours ago this connection worked just fine. I doesn't seem to be a problem with the wireless router since 2 of my other PC's(also running...
  4. connecting to a distant router

connecting to a distant router: I'm running windows 10 on my Dell desktop and it won't show my new router on it.. before it was directly connected to the old router by cable but now the router is in another room. It keeps telling me to check the cable but there is now no cable. It won't show my new router...
  5. Connecting to Router/WIfi

Connecting to Router/WIfi: I can not connect to my Router/Modem at all. I have tried everything there is to be able to connect. I did get a msg come up from Microsoft that said problem was with Microsoft & to try back later. That was 2 days ago. Thank you...
  6. Can't connect to my router

Can't connect to my router: Everything seems to work fine with my router. Internet, email, wifi etc. all are working but today I noticed I can't connect to my router using 192.168.1.1 I check ipconfig and that is the gateway and what I've always used. I've changed nothing since last week when it was...
  7. Startup connectivity to router

Startup connectivity to router: On startup my PC will not automatically connect to my router. After windows is up I can connect it manually with no problem. I am using a Dell Laptop Inspiron 3521 and the drivers are up to date....
  8. Managed Switch or Router?

Managed Switch or Router?: Would this for the fiber to pipe it to all my connections and computers? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R92CLJA...00K4DS5KU?th=1 I've had 50 routers in my life and they can be the most annoying things to use... some are so smart they have panic attacks... I'd rather use a dumb...
  9. Connection Troubles with LAN Router

Connection Troubles with LAN Router: This maybe a longer experiment. There are only 11 channels, try them till you find the best.
  10. connect router

connect router: how to connect router to a cable all in one modem 31167