Windows 10: Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer

Discus and support Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there, my company is providing me with a laptop for work which we can use for personal stuff. It comes preinstalled with Windows 10 and is domain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/N1cl4s, Feb 19, 2021.

1. /u/N1cl4s Win User

Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer

Hi there, my company is providing me with a laptop for work which we can use for personal stuff. It comes preinstalled with Windows 10 and is domain joined. I have created a second "local" user for my personal use. The only thing now is, that that user still seems to be domain-dependend and Windows shows, that the user is domain-joined.

Now can I just disconnect from the domain? I am a bit affraid that the whole system will disconnect. Does anyone have experience in this and can tell me what will happen?

Is there maybe an other way to have a non domain account on that windows computer?

Thanks! Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer :)

submitted by /u/N1cl4s
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/N1cl4s, Feb 19, 2021

2. Can same PC have domain-joined and non-domain-joined accounts?

Can the same PC have one account set up that's domain-joined (to work), and another personal account that's NOT domain-joined?

I'm guessing the answer is more likely no, since domain seems to be a machine-level and not an account-level setting.

What I'd like to be able to do is use my personal PC at home, with its large monitor, to connect to my work domain occasionally and work remotely. But I don't want corporate IT to take over my personal PC. ;-)

Thanks!

-Doug

douglasl4321, Feb 19, 2021
  3. One profile for Domain and non-domain

So you wouldn't normally use a domain and non-domain joined account on the laptop, this will do exactly what you describe and give you 2 user accounts.

What's to stop domain joining the laptop then using that one profile both on and off the LAN?

MarkInKent, Feb 19, 2021
  4. Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer

How to reserve Windows 10 for a non-domain joined PC (but perhaps fomerly domain joined)

My reservation icon for Windows 10 has not appeared. After ensuring i have all outstanding Windows updates, and run the script that runs scheduled tasks, the icon still doesn't appear.

Then there was the hint from
    KB3081048
    :

> The "Get Windows 10" app doesn’t appear in Windows 7 or 8.1

>

> If your device is has been connected to a domain it may be blocked from the upgrade reservation.

It is entirely possible that for 2 or 3 minutes two or three years ago, my machine
    was joined to a domain.

• What registry key is the upgrade advisor mistakenly using to determine if a machine is joined to a domain?
    • How do i check if a machine was previously joined to a domain?
    • How do i unjoin a non-domain joined machine from a domain?
    • How do reserve a copy of Windows 10 for a non-domain joined PC?
    Bonus Chatter: It's a Surface Pro 3

I tried using the
    Media Creation Tool
    , but it fails with a non-descript error:

Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer 549f72f5-5525-4ed5-a711-ffddd0f6a157.png

How do i upgrade to Windows 10 now that it is released?

JackTripper, Feb 19, 2021
Thema:

Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer

1. Have second "non-domain" account on domain joined computer - Similar Threads - second non domain

2. Always On VPN non join domain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Always On VPN non join domain: Hello,So I deploy a Always on VPN on Windows Server 2019.I follow guidance from this YouTube videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ-thDAfuBM&t=2027sBasically I'm deploying 3 windows server RAS, NPS, and AD with CA and all of this server is join domain.I setting the VPN to...
  3. Always On VPN non join domain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Always On VPN non join domain: Hello,So I deploy a Always on VPN on Windows Server 2019.I follow guidance from this YouTube videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ-thDAfuBM&t=2027sBasically I'm deploying 3 windows server RAS, NPS, and AD with CA and all of this server is join domain.I setting the VPN to...
  4. Always On VPN non join domain

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to add a printer from a domain joined print server to a non-domain joined computer on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to add a printer from a domain joined print server to a non-domain joined computer on...: HiI tried so many things, the closest I got was with the lines below, but that won't let me change the color settings. The installed printer prints only BW.Meaning there's something with the HP Universal Print Driver? Or what can be the problem? The printer is set to color on...
  6. How to add a printer from a domain joined print server to a non-domain joined computer on...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add a printer from a domain joined print server to a non-domain joined computer on...: HiI tried so many things, the closest I got was with the lines below, but that won't let me change the color settings. The installed printer prints only BW.Meaning there's something with the HP Universal Print Driver? Or what can be the problem? The printer is set to color on...
  7. How to add a printer from a domain joined print server to a non-domain joined computer on...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Joining a Domain

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Joining a Domain: I'm trying to join a domain that resides on my Synology NAS. When trying to join the domain I'm getting the following message: [ATTACH] I've also tried joining the domain using the "Network ID" button and I get the following message: [ATTACH] I'm running Windows 10...
  9. Non Domain Joined PC Not Updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non Domain Joined PC Not Updating: Unable to get non-domain computers to connect to and update using internal WSUS server. Domain computers are working fine, but when the non-domain computers try to update after changing local gpo to point to WSUS server, it says "We couldn't connect to the update service....
  10. Can same PC have domain-joined and non-domain-joined accounts?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can same PC have domain-joined and non-domain-joined accounts?: Can the same PC have one account set up that's domain-joined (to work), and another personal account that's NOT domain-joined? I'm guessing the answer is more likely no, since domain seems to be a machine-level and not an account-level setting. What I'd like to be able to...