Windows 10: Have Startup Repair and cannot boot

Discus and support Have Startup Repair and cannot boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Startup Repair Loop - Will not boot Have received a PC from a friend which will not boot into regular Windows 1903, will only boot into the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by acal17, Jun 14, 2020.

1. acal17 Win User

Have Startup Repair and cannot boot

Windows 10 Startup Repair Loop - Will not boot Have received a PC from a friend which will not boot into regular Windows 1903, will only boot into the Windows Recovery Environment after attempting a repair. I've been trying to get it working for a while now and everything I seem to try fails.

What I've tried:

* System Restore no restore points on system

* System Image Recovery no image

* Uninstalling last update fails on both feature and quality update

* Startup Settings reboots to show a blank blue screen, nothing happens

* Reset this PC goes to a Windows splash screen for around 30 seconds before failing back to the blue Recovery Environment with the message: There was a problem resetting your PC - No changes were made.

* Startup Repair Goes to a Windows splash screen for a few seconds before failing back to the blue Recovery Environment with a message which mentions something about SrtTrail

Checking SrtTrail.txt at this point shows a list of tests which were successful before telling me Startup Repair was unable to determine the root cause.

* I then tried the bootrec command in the Command Prompt to fix the MBR, boot and BCD. seemed to work, changed nothing on reboot.

* chkdsk to fix any errors on the system drive completes telling me there are no issues

* sfc /scannow on the offline system disk once entered seemingly hangs on a blinking cursor forever - left overnight to no joy

* dism on the offline system disk Refuses to start citing that the temporary folder does not exist or has insufficient permissions

At this point I try placing the scratchdir for dism on every disk I have at my disposal, which is to say the 2 disks on the machine and 2 usb drive I have laying around. Every time giving me the same error. I then try using icacls to give permissions to each folder on every drive, using different user strings users, everyone, nt authority\system. Still no joy.

At this point I burn a Windows disc from my working machine to try and deal with the problem this way. I make sure to use the same language, locale and build number 1903 when burning this disc. I then insert the disc in the errant machine, and put in the language and locale settings. I click on "Repair this Computer" and try essentially every step listed above once more to no avail. I reboot and try this time installing from disc. I have read online of an in-place repair install and thought I could do this. However, when I try to install Windows from the disc it tells me Windows is already installed, and I must boot into Windows to upgrade using the disc. This would be alright, if I were to be able to get the computer to boot to Windows.

I have exhausted all the resources I could find online regarding these problems and have come out fruitless.

:)

acal17, Jun 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 stuck on Startup repair when booting

Hi,

As per the description I understand your concern about Windows 10 Startup repair, we will help you with this issue.
    I would suggest you to run Startup repair from Advance boot option. It may ask you to insert the Installation DVD/USB while doing startup repair. You have to create an installation media for that. You may download an ISO from
    the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

To run Startup repair from Advance boot option, follow the below steps:

• Press and holdShift key
      and click onRestart in Power icon.

• Click onTroubleshoot.

• Click onAdvanced Options.

• Now click onStartup Repair.

• Follow the further instructions.
    Hope this helps you. Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jun 14, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jun 14, 2020
  4. Julie Ram Win User

Startup repair not working after "Default boot device missing" message

Hi Adam,

Corrupted boot system files is one possible cause why you're getting an error message after running the startup repair. Before we proceed, I'd like to know if you have made any changes prior to the issue.

Meanwhile, I would suggest that you boot from Windows 10 installation media in a removable storage device, flash drive, or DVD and access the Advanced option. To do this, follow the steps:

• Insert the USB or flash drive to your PC and restart.
    • The Windows Setup screen will pop-up, select language and click Next.
    • Choose Repair your computer.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced options.
    • Choose Command Prompt and enter the following commands:

bootrec /scanos

bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

• Restart PC and check if there are any changes.

Update us with the results.

Julie Ram, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Have Startup Repair and cannot boot - Similar Threads - Startup Repair cannot

2. Windows 7 startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically: So after I started up my computer, windows automatically started running startup repair and the problem details are listed below. What can I do to fix it?Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOfflineProblem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385Problem...
  3. Windows 7 startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically: So after I started up my computer, windows automatically started running startup repair and the problem details are listed below. What can I do to fix it?Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOfflineProblem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385Problem...
  4. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello,Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this.I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately.At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and Win10...
  5. Startup Repair Cannot Repair this computer automatically - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Startup Repair Cannot Repair this computer automatically - Windows 10: Hello,Have an old HPE 516z with AMD processor running a valid license of Windows 10 Home. When booting up the system it reports System License Violation and attempts an automatic repair and comes back with keyboard layout options but it does not respond to keyboard nor mouse....
  6. Startup Repair Cannot Repair this computer automatically - Windows 10

Startup Repair Cannot Repair this computer automatically - Windows 10: Hello,Have an old HPE 516z with AMD processor running a valid license of Windows 10 Home. When booting up the system it reports System License Violation and attempts an automatic repair and comes back with keyboard layout options but it does not respond to keyboard nor mouse....
  7. Startup Repair Cannot Repair this computer automatically - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't boot, failed startup repair and usual: Hello, Please let me know if this is not the right place to post this. I've been having a lot of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD lately. At a certain point, trying to debug it, I've had one of them during start up. After that, I've had some CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED BSODs and...
  9. How to get to startup repair on boot camp?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to get to startup repair on boot camp?: Just had a problem with my bootcamp macbook after i used partition assist to split a new partition, computer restarted into aomei black screen command prompt-like letters, when the partition progress bar reached 100% computer blue screened and showed “Bad system config...
  10. Cannot boot into repair menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot boot into repair menu: Hey all. I just put together a new computer a few weeks ago. It has been working without incident for about two weeks, but when I got home from a 4 day vacation, it was frozen at the login screen. When I rebooted, it gave me a BSOD stating the kernel (NTOSKRNL.EXE) was...