Windows 10: Have to use CTRL-ALT-Del more lately!

Discus and support Have to use CTRL-ALT-Del more lately! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an Asus Laptop running Windows 10 and this is a really fast machine however.......................................... Recently (usually in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by moggie, Dec 6, 2016.

1. moggie Win User

Have to use CTRL-ALT-Del more lately!

I have an Asus Laptop running Windows 10 and this is a really fast machine however..........................................

Recently (usually in the first 30 mins of booting up, the page I am on freezes and I have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete perhaps two or three times and then I get a blue screen with options and I click on ...mgr (forget what it is called!) and the page I was on then re-appears!

This rarely happens through out the day once I am using the laptop regularly. Any ideas as to what could be wrong anyone?

Thanks

:)

moggie, Dec 6, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

stop screensaver with the mouse Windows 10 1703?

Strange as I have many third party screensavers which I've downloaded over the years & all clear the screen on mouse movement, one I have to go into the saver's settings to turn on the feature otherwise it does require ctrl, alt del to clear screen.

Of course more newer/modern screensavers may requre ctrl, alt del as a security feature.

Time Lady, Dec 6, 2016
  3. ctrl alt del to logon

Hi Eric

Update... I did what you recommended and it worked!! yeah! Thanks for the tip Have to use CTRL-ALT-Del more lately! :)

Diane Clbb, Dec 6, 2016
  4. Have to use CTRL-ALT-Del more lately!

One wild guess, re-seat your memory and your drive. Look up on youtube how to get at these components. Mishandling these can lead to dead laptop. I say this because you said it takes about thirty minutes. In those thirty minutes your laptop is warming up and expanding ever so slightly. Once it has warmed up you said it runs. Could also be bad solder joint, lets hope not as very difficult to find / resolve.

These components are relatively easy to reseat. Cables and connectors can also be reseated but know how to do this as a dead laptop is not the desired outcome. Again, wild guess based on your description.

To help clarify your post which Asus laptop model do you have? When you say the page freezes I assume you mean your browser freezes, which browser are you using? It seems that more than your browser is freezing as your out is the three finger salute. Can you right click in a clear area of the task bar and then access Task Manager to shut down offending app. You do need to document your steps to get better answers. Have you check Asus forums for similar problems?

Caledon Ken, Dec 8, 2016
  5. What security software do you use, does it update or scan in the first 30 minutes ?

FrillyBits, Dec 8, 2016
  6. moggie Win User
    Sorry Caledon Ken
    It is an Acer Aspire V (not Asus!) I use.

It happens if I am in a website via BING which is what I use as a search engine. I did not know that rather than Ctrl-alt-del I can right click in task bar! Tried it and it works same and I can then click on Task Manager. What happens then is sometimes it clears the page and I have to go into it again and sometimes the original page I was looking at reappears and is useable!

Re. FrillyBits point - I use Avast Professional security as I have for years and it is very good. I have this set to update when I say so it is not doing anything during first 30 mins.

I will keep watching and when it happens again I will take note of what is happening elsewhere at the time.

Thanks to you both

moggie, Dec 8, 2016
  7. spunk Win User
    Try a Clean Boot. If that works, then add one disabled Service or Startup Item, rebooting each time, until the computer starts acting up, then you will know what the problematic program is,

spunk, Dec 8, 2016
  8. moggie Win User

Problem seemed to be either in Clean up or Malware progs in start up.

Removed them and seems ok now.

Thanks everyone

moggie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Have to use CTRL-ALT-Del more lately! - Similar Threads - CTRL ALT Del

2. about ctrl alt del login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    about ctrl alt del login: hi i want to know how to use ctrl alt del to login on my pc and to change it to ctrl alt del to login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-ctrl-alt-del-login/3f403214-0b1b-4d35-ba8d-53bf33a20781
  3. about ctrl alt del login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    about ctrl alt del login: hi i want to know how to use ctrl alt del to login on my pc and to change it to ctrl alt del to login https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-ctrl-alt-del-login/3f403214-0b1b-4d35-ba8d-53bf33a20781
  4. CTRL + ALT + DEL delayed

CTRL + ALT + DEL delayed: Hello, Recently I've had a couple of users report a very long delay after hitting CTRL + ALT + DEL One came into the help desk and I can confirm that it can take up to 10 minutes. The users machine was Windows 10 Version 2004. Lenovo Thinkpad T14. I disabled all non...
  5. No display till CTRL+ALT+DEL

No display till CTRL+ALT+DEL: When I leave my PC and after when I try to login, Windows only shows the wallpaper and it doesn't show time, events or unread mails. I also press space key or left click on my mouse nothing appears but when I press CTRL+ALT+DEL it asks to sign in and I could access my PC....
  6. Forced to ctrl+Alt +Del to login

Forced to ctrl+Alt +Del to login: Running windows 10 completely updated When I boot up my HP Envy 17 inch laptop it arrives at the lock screen. Clicking any key on the keyboard DOES NOT get me to the password/PIN prompt neither does the on screen keyboard. I need to click my mouse to bring up the...
  7. Forced to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Forced to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to login: Same issue as this locked thread. I cannot enter PIN, password, or swipe fingerprint until Ctrl-Alt-Del is pressed first. I've never been offered KB4464330, so I'm not sure if it solves the issue. Secure sign in is not enabled. Security Policy to disable was enabled, but no...
  8. Ctrl+alt+del settings changed?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ctrl+alt+del settings changed?: Today I went to use my laptop and when I was finished I went to shut down my laptop. Well for some reason when I clicked ctrl alt del, the only option that it was giving me was to lock my computer and nothing else, no sign out or shut down. I didn't alter any settings and...
  9. CTRL+ALT+DEL disappears

in Windows 10 Customization
    CTRL+ALT+DEL disappears: Hello; I have a windows 10 on domain. It shows ALT+CTRL+DEL and then i click ok all i get is a black screen with mouse pointer. I tried to change the projector setting to single display same thing. Any ways to resolve this please....
  10. Ctrl+Alt+Del

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ctrl+Alt+Del: When I start the computer it is locked. It is asking for Ctrl+Alt+Del to be entered. When I do this there is no response. I cannot get to the password entry; the keyboard doesn't respond. How do I fix this?...