Windows 10: Have unused window 7 retail key, want to install window 10 on a newly built desktop

Discus and support Have unused window 7 retail key, want to install window 10 on a newly built desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an unused window 7 retail key from few years back. As of today, can I still use it to install/active window 10 on a newly built desktop with no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by yan chileung1, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Have unused window 7 retail key, want to install window 10 on a newly built desktop

I have an unused window 7 retail key from few years back.

As of today, can I still use it to install/active window 10 on a newly built desktop with no OS preinstalled, and how do I proceed?

Should I use the product key during or after installation of window 10?

Thanks for any help.

:)

yan chileung1, Nov 24, 2018

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Nov 24, 2018
  3. ironwolf Win User
    Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Two quick ways to use your Windows 7 key during the install:

1. When asked for the serial #, put in that Windows 7 serial # and continue on. It should activate as soon as it hits an internet connection.

2. When asked for the serial #, at bottom of window click on the I don't have a serial # text (or whatever it says). It will then ask what version you want to install, ie. Home or Pro. Be sure to install the right version that matches your Windows 7 key. Then once you get into windows you can activate by putting in the key. Some people prefer this method, not sure why honestly. Easier to do #1, since the installer will see your key and know which flavor of Windows 10 you are trying to install.

ironwolf, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Have unused window 7 retail key, want to install window 10 on a newly built desktop

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Thank you, but I still want to know if I can do a clean installation of Windows with my new SSD whilst my old Windows is still installed on the other pc?

MichaelDFF, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

Have unused window 7 retail key, want to install window 10 on a newly built desktop

1. Have unused window 7 retail key, want to install window 10 on a newly built desktop - Similar Threads - unused window retail

2. Crashes on Newly Built Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Crashes on Newly Built Desktop: Hello!Around a month ago now, I built a custom built PC with new components ordered online. Ever since building it, I have been having issues constantly with the computer. Usually, it starts with a game repeatedly crashing this happens randomly from 10-60 minutes into a game,...
  3. Crashes on Newly Built Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crashes on Newly Built Desktop: Hello!Around a month ago now, I built a custom built PC with new components ordered online. Ever since building it, I have been having issues constantly with the computer. Usually, it starts with a game repeatedly crashing this happens randomly from 10-60 minutes into a game,...
  4. Crashes on Newly Built Desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Help transfering Windows Retail license to a newly built computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help transfering Windows Retail license to a newly built computer.: Hi, I had an old computer which started with Vista. I upgraded it to Windows 7 Pro Retail license came in CD around 6 years or so ago. When Windows 10 first came, I upgraded it to that. I remember, the mother board got broken around 2017 and I replaced it and was able to...
  6. Help transfering Windows Retail license to a newly built computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help transfering Windows Retail license to a newly built computer.: Hi, I had an old computer which started with Vista. I upgraded it to Windows 7 Pro Retail license came in CD around 6 years or so ago. When Windows 10 first came, I upgraded it to that. I remember, the mother board got broken around 2017 and I replaced it and was able to...
  7. Help transfering Windows Retail license to a newly built computer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  8. Windows 10 clean install on a newly built PC is very slow and unresponsive, basically unusable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 clean install on a newly built PC is very slow and unresponsive, basically unusable: Hello! I have built a new pc with all new components but 1, the SSD. I wiped it clean and did a fresh install with official windows installer and a key supplied by my university. Windows 10 was very sluggish and slow. It would take an eternity to complete a process...
  9. Window 10 installation on newly built PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 installation on newly built PC: Hello, so i have recently built a pc and im trying to install window 10. Once im on the installation part it restarts the pc and it ask me to basically do it all over again....
  10. Windows 10 installation on a newly built PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation on a newly built PC: I just finished building a new PC and all was working fine for a while until I went to install the OS. I used a USB that I put the ISO file on and when I turned on the computer, I received a bunch of error messages. First was error 0xc0000221, then 0xc0000098, then...