Windows 10: Have Windows ask for password or pincode at startup

Discus and support Have Windows ask for password or pincode at startup in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Not sure if this goes here or in User Accounts etc. but it´s system security, so. I want my computer to ask for my pincode every time I start it up... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Dim67, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Dim67 Win User

Have Windows ask for password or pincode at startup

Not sure if this goes here or in User Accounts etc. but it´s system security, so.

I want my computer to ask for my pincode every time I start it up and when it comes out of Sleep or Screensaver. When I Google this question I get 10 million hits on how to DISABLE the login password, but I need it ENABLED.

But for some reason Windows wont let me.

I can set a windows password or pincode in Settings- Login, but when I restart the PC it goes straight to desktop, skipping the login-screen.

Please help, thanks.

:)

Dim67, Jun 24, 2018

2. Windows Startup password

Is it possible to remove a startup password without being able to log into the system? A friend's laptop just prompt her today for a password that she never enabled. Now, she does have a standard user account password, but that doesn't work for the startup password. She had the computer for about a year now and it has never asked for a startup password until today.

I tried to use Hiren Boot CD to run a diagnostic on the laptop, but it has a bsod. Windows 10 normal boot crashes as well

GoFigureItOut, Jun 24, 2018
  3. Windows Startup password

Yes, I'm sure there wasn't a Microsoft account on the laptop. When I set it up, she didn't want one

So I had to do a factory restore on the laptop. All boot methods would crash. I found out the owner was duped into giving a scammer access to her computer. That's how the startup password got set.

See its not the same as the account login password prompt

Thanks for the link! I will most definitely save it and use it when needed

GoFigureItOut, Jun 24, 2018
  4. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Jun 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Have Windows ask for password or pincode at startup - Similar Threads - ask password pincode

2. Windows 10 asking for administrator password for startup repair, but no admin password was...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 asking for administrator password for startup repair, but no admin password was...: I'm having trouble with my mother's HP Desktop. We shut it down and unplugged it to swap the power cord into a new surge protector, but upon turning it back on, we received an error message."The operating system did not shutdown cleanly.Reconstructing Cache Metadata.Please do...
  3. Windows 10 asking for administrator password for startup repair, but no admin password was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 asking for administrator password for startup repair, but no admin password was...: I'm having trouble with my mother's HP Desktop. We shut it down and unplugged it to swap the power cord into a new surge protector, but upon turning it back on, we received an error message."The operating system did not shutdown cleanly.Reconstructing Cache Metadata.Please do...
  4. Windows 10 asking for administrator password for startup repair, but no admin password was...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 is suddenly asking for pin instead of password on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is suddenly asking for pin instead of password on startup.: My Windows 11 is suddenly asking for a pin instead of a password on startup screen. I tried uninstalling updates through the Shift Restart and Advanced options process with no luck. Any advice on how to get back to login with my password?...
  6. in startup in win10 when asked password no entry window appears

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    in startup in win10 when asked password no entry window appears: wen i go to win10 on startup in page wher password is expected the window for the password is not shown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-startup-in-win10-when-asked-password-no-entry/1bf39633-1446-4b8e-923c-1299d07a0c3c
  7. Pincode to windows hello 4 digits password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Pincode to windows hello 4 digits password: I have problems with windows hello. I had 4 digit password before. One day when I turned on my computer it asked me to switch it to 6 digit. I did so because I could not move on. Now I am in the situation that I tried to change it back BUT! I can not .. I can not press any of...
  8. All of a sudden, Windows asks for password on startup

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    All of a sudden, Windows asks for password on startup: I've been bypassing that startup page for ages, and today its started asking for the password. I have it set up on Accounts that I dont have to enter password and also on netplwiz. However it still asks for it. I've restarted the pc 3 times and it's asked every time....
  9. Windows ask for pincode at startup

Windows ask for pincode at startup: Not sure if this goes here or in User Accounts etc. but it´s system security, so. I want my computer to ask for my pincode every time I start it up and when it comes out of Sleep or Screensaver. When I Google this question I get 10 million hits on how to DISABLE the login...
  10. dell computer asking for startup password

dell computer asking for startup password: never seen this before 85055