Windows 10: have you disable Superfetch on your ssd installation?

Discus and support have you disable Superfetch on your ssd installation? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi have you disabled Superfetch ? disabling the service Superfetch and regedit Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by drugo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. drugo Win User

have you disable Superfetch on your ssd installation?

Hi

have you disabled Superfetch ?
    disabling the service Superfetch and regedit
    Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters[/quote] EnablePrefetcher=0

thanks

:)

drugo, Jul 30, 2015
  2. IT_hoser Win User

How To Optimize Windows 10 Settings For SSD Drive Performance?

I just upgraded to Win10 from Win8.1

One of the suggestions for SSD optimization I had read was to disable the SuperFetch Service. On my machine (laptop with only one drive which is an SSD) SuperFetch was enabled by default.

any comments on pros/cons of disabling the superfetch service?

IT_hoser, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Entity9 Win User
    Windows 10 takes to long to start

maybe running msconfig would better inform you what your machine is doing when it starts?

instructions to disable superfetch:

Disable Superfetch & Prefetch for SSD in Windows 10/8/7

(dont disable prefetch)

Defrag your hard drive

This is all assuming your hard drive is the limiting factor, you could run resmon to verify this on your side

Entity9, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Windows 10 should do it automatically once it identifies an SSD boot drive. It might require some time/number of reboots before it acts.

Snakeyes, Aug 7, 2015
  5. DTG1 Win User
    mine is Dword:0x0000003

does it really matter with 16g ram?

after doing some searching I found this article about enabling it for boot files only.

DTG1, Aug 8, 2015
  6. EnablePrefetcher=0[/quote] You could use this as well, but as stated before, on SSD Windows should set it automatically.

Code: reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters" /v "EnableSuperfetch" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Aug 8, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    Superfetch was one of several features that were brought in to help speed up the process on slow computers. Same with pagefile. Microsoft should really spend some time re-evaluating them.

swarfega, Aug 8, 2015
  8. DTG1 Win User

I set them for boot files only. We'll see how that works.

DTG1, Aug 8, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    I'm sorry but you are incorrect I think. SuperFetch is only an elaboration of the XP Prefetcher task (What is Windows SuperFetch). It would be unwise to change it.

The pagefile isn't generally interesting any more (since 20 years or so). You need a small one (400 MB) to create crash dumps but that is it. It was never meant for performance - it was to allow paging of agreed virtual memory somewhere when there was no space in RAM and only if the need arose. If you have enough RAM your pagefile will not be used.

Even up to 10 years ago I used to force certain (small) tables (currency exchange rates and so on that didn't change much) into memory as I thought I knew better than the OS - not any more. The guys who write memory management algorithms are far clever than me.

Honestly, unless you have a PHD in math I'd let it be. What is used often will be in dynamic memory not on disk anyway.

lx07, Aug 8, 2015
  10. drugo Win User
    hi
    i renable the service Superfetch to automatic (i guess it's the default,isn't it? )
    after several reboots it's still on *Sad

it's odd that the folder Code: c:\Windows\Prefetch\ReadyBoot\[/quote] is empty

drugo, Aug 10, 2015
  11. altae Win User
    I disabled it manually. No need for a thing like Superfetch if the os is installed on a fast SSD.

altae, Aug 11, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Superfetch monitors which applications you use the most and preloads these into your system memory (RAM) so they'll be ready when you need them.

RAM (memory) will always be faster than a SSD, but yeah Superfetch probably won't be need with a SSD since you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Superfetch (Memory Prefetcher)

It'll be interesting to see some benchmark numbers with Superfetch enabled and disabled. *Smile

Brink, Aug 11, 2015
  13. Snakeyes Win User

Several members of the old OCC forum including myself played around with benchmarks with and without superfetch enabled. Absolutely no difference.

Snakeyes, Aug 11, 2015
  14. Cliff S New Member
    To make sure Windows is "optimized" for an SSD or SSD(boot drive) and HDD(Data/Backup drive) all you have to do is run Code: Winsat formal -V[/quote] in an Admin Command Prompt and let Windows take care of everything.

The Winsat command, it is a built-in tool for assessing system performance. You can read more about the Winsat command at TechNet/WinSAT and clicking the different commands there. On Windows 8 through 10, when you run the command listed above, Windows runs the same sorts of tests that it would use if it were calculating a WEI, but the tests and the subsequent reboots cause changes to be made to prefetch, superfetch, and ReadyBoot. Windows will gauge how well your SSD preforms and handle accordingly. It also might turn of one of the three for the SSD, but keep it on for a HDD that's being used a a second internal drive, or an external hard drive that is always connected and on.

The moral of the story and a very good maxim is: Do not tweak, let Windows take care of Windows.
    As for me "Been there-Done that" and learned.

Cliff S, Aug 11, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you. I thought that would be the case.

Brink, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. have you disable Superfetch on your ssd installation? - Similar Threads - disable Superfetch ssd

2. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. 124580
  3. Superfetch disable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Superfetch disable: In Windows 10, v1809 Superfetch is no longer listed as a service. How can it be disabled - perhaps via the registry? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-disable/c69f1b35-3692-45a9-a34a-093f471b6ac3
  4. Disabling Superfetch in services when using an SSD a good idea?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabling Superfetch in services when using an SSD a good idea?: Is disabling Superfetch in services on my computer with an SSD a good idea according to this article? This is how SSDs work and what you can do to make yours last longer. Do this to increase your SSD's lifespan! - CNET --- The article stresses it's a good idea to minimize...
  5. Windows Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Superfetch on SSD: After update my W10 from Anniversary to Creators, windows enabled Superfetch to automatic. I always had Superfech disable on my Samsung SSD. Should i disable it, or let windows manage my SSD? Thanks. 81051
  6. Should I disable Superfetch?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I disable Superfetch?: I know it loads programs to the RAM so they can open faster and actually It doesn't really bother me but I just want to ask - Does it really improve performance that much? My system runs pretty fast, considering its age, and I'm just wondering, will there be a significant...
  7. Disable Prefetch & Superfetch

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Prefetch & Superfetch: Howdy, I've written a code in a batch file to disable Superfetch service and some other things. But the Superfetch part does not work? Code: SC Config Superfetch Start= Disabled SC Stop Superfetch[/quote] Output >> The specified service does not exist as an installed...
  8. Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows How to Enable or Disable SuperFetch in Windows SuperFetch (aka: Memory Prefetcher) is a service that was introduced with Vista. SuperFetch is an enhancement of the Prefetcher from previous versions of Windows. The...
  9. Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch and SSD's in Threshold 2: Threshold 2 has re-enabled superfetch on my PC (only SSD's on my system). I have waited over a week, run Winsat formal, etc. but superfetch remains on. Has anyone experienced this? Before I manually disable the service I would welcome any suggestions etc. PS: the...
  10. Superfetch on SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Superfetch on SSD: I bought a Samsung SSD, should I disable superfetch now ? 51436