Windows 10: Having 2 hard drives

Discus and support Having 2 hard drives in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Does anyone here have 2 HDDs or 2 SSDs that they use one for the soul purpose of the OS and use the other for installing software? I'm highly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ukcatsfan83, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Having 2 hard drives

Does anyone here have 2 HDDs or 2 SSDs that they use one for the soul purpose of the OS and use the other for installing software? I'm highly considering that. Is that possible in Win10?

:)

ukcatsfan83, Sep 6, 2015

2. Windows OS Spread over 2 Hard Drives

Hi,

There might be some changes like an update happened on your computer, reason for your drives to be separated in two. That said, we suggest is for you to format your computer. This will allow you to re-create the partition/s that you want on your computer.
    Check this article to learn more about
    Recovery options in Windows 10. However, it would be best if you coordinate with the manufacturer of your computer for assistance regarding
    reformat.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Carlos Tin, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Windows OS Spread over 2 Hard Drives

I have Window 7 Home Premium. I used to take system backup using Todo, only of C Drive, as that was the only drive shown. Today I noticed, it selects my C Drive and D Drive as well, and I have no choice. Reading through the Todo guide, I realised that my
    system is spread over two drives, I do not know why. I am not knowledgeable enough to play with the system.

For my C Drive Backup, I need less than 40gb. With this, it is showing the space required to be more than 200gb. I can create a separate drive and move my data files to that drive. And then try to merge merge C drive and D. I feel even that may not be possible.
    My C drive is an SSD. D Drive is an HD.

Is there any solution.

Thanks & regards

DattaVaidya, Sep 6, 2015
  4. LittleJay Win User

Having 2 hard drives

Actually I have W8.1 Pro and W10 running on two separate SSD's, with two HDD's for backups and storage. I favor that kind of setup, because if something goes wrong with the drive on which the OS is installed I don't have to worry about losing any data.

LittleJay, Sep 7, 2015
  5. What i'm wanting to do is get another SSD and use that ONLY for software installations while running my Operating System on a drive by itself. *Smile The thing is, I'm not quite sure if there's a way to migrate my already-installed software from the current drive over to a new one.

ukcatsfan83, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Doesn't make sense though, to make the OS, running on one drive, to make a 'call' over to another drive to bring up programs.

Edwin, Sep 7, 2015
  7. jds63 Win User
    Most people would not use a drive just for OS. If so think smallest now is 120GB.Second or third drive as stated should be used for backup or (documents. music, videos, pictures ). I use 1 for OS and software, one for games and one for backup, first 2 are SSD's.

jds63, Sep 7, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

Having 2 hard drives

Since your System Specs shows you are using a Desktop most times one can have anywhere from 2 to 6 SATA drives and could include a mix of SSD, HDD and ODD.

If wanting to use different boot/system drives you'd have to install software on the programs drive in each Operating System while each OS is running, that's just a thing with Windows in that support files have to be installed in proper Folders, icons and Start menu items created and Registry entries created so Windows knows how to run the programs. Also at issue is whether the licensing of programs will allow it.

Berton, Sep 7, 2015
  9. LittleJay Win User
    I have never tried that myself, but I suspect, like already stated that there could be issues with trying to run Apps/programs on a separate drive. Is there a specific reason you want to do this?

LittleJay, Sep 7, 2015
  10. I have WD My Cloud NAS for storage *Smile My SSD is 180GB. I have 129GB free.

ukcatsfan83, Sep 7, 2015
  11. LMiller7 Win User
    It is quite common to have a drive separate from the OS for data. Windows has always supported that. This allows reinstalling the OS without touching your data. But I fail to see the point in installing application on a separate drive. This is most often done out of necessity when the OS drive is too small. It just makes things more complicated with no real gain. And if you reinstall the OS all applications (except for portable applications) will have to be reinstalled anyway.

LMiller7, Sep 7, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    If you would put your OS and programs on your SSD and User files and Games on a second hard drive, you would never fill your SSD up. Having a Data drive is common and avoids many problems when things go wrong, but there is no advantage to installing programs on another drive. You bought an SSD to speed up opening programs faster with great response times. Your plan would defeat that purpose. Plus many programs would object to being placed other than where they expect to be placed.

essenbe, Sep 7, 2015
  13. jds63 Win User

Having 2 hard drives

I to have an external USB HDD for backup storage which has backup from 3rd HDD on system and more.
    You can get another SSD put just third party software and games on it. Sure as games can run on second drive software will have no issues. Most will use between 180-250GB SSD for OS and software, matter to how much software you have or will ever get and games are ones that will take up most space anyway.

jds63, Sep 7, 2015
  14. Running 1 OS SSD and 3more SSDs and two WD HDD additional for anything I want. No issues at all. One of the WD HDDs is for back-up and file history.

lopedoggie, Sep 7, 2015
  15. Migrating stuff to the second drive is okay until an MS update trashes the dll or whatever links you to that program. Solution buy a big HD to begin with.

On migration, the 2nd drive requires creation of folders and possibly file names with paths exactly like the originals but with the new drive letter prefix i.e. original program location C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\Beat the dealer becomes whatever drive you have chosen for the migrated program and you would use that drive letter (drive letter here):\Program Files (x86)\Games\Beat the dealer and you would have to create all the folders and subfolders in the exact sequence as the original file path to your game or program using the same file names etc. Test the new program executable file "Beat the dealer.exe", in this example, to see if the program works, if it does work create a shortcut to the program executable file and put that on your desktop or wherever you keep that stuff. During a fresh download of a program you can specify where to install a program other than your system drive. Oh yeah, some programs work great doing this and some don't and some won't let you select another drive or directory no matter.

Hope this helps.

lopedoggie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Having 2 hard drives

1. Having 2 hard drives - Similar Threads - Having hard drives

2. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  3. Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duel boot 2 hard drives, 2 OS?: Ok, so my Windows 10 gaming tower took a **** and I removed the hard drive. I then bought a Windows 11 gaming tower and I want to install the windows 10 hard drive as a 2nd OS for a duel boot as there are some things I can't do with windows 11 that I can with 10 like use my...
  4. Hard drive properties - Location parameter - 2 PCs with same hard drive do not have the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive properties - Location parameter - 2 PCs with same hard drive do not have the...: Hello, I am wondering why my 2 PCs DELL do not have the same number of bus for the hard drive in Device manager>Disk drive>PC601A NVMe SK hynix 1TB>Properties>General>Location. There is only 1 hard drive per PC. The PC1 : Bus number = 2 the PC2 : Bus number = 24 Is it...
  5. Is possible to have 2 separate and distinct versions of Windows on a hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is possible to have 2 separate and distinct versions of Windows on a hard drive?: Is it possible to shrink my existing Windows partition, enough to create another partition, and install a fresh copy of Windows on it and then have a boot menu give me the option of booting either of the copies of Windows? Reason: This is for my laptop. I'm thinking a backup...
  6. some how i have a hard drive showing up as 2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    some how i have a hard drive showing up as 2: i have a new hp laptop showing 2 hard drives with only 1 hard drive in the machine, c drive will not expand and all unallocated space is in drive 0 with c in drive one. C is limited to 118 GB with all other allocated to the 0 hard drive. How do i eliminate 0 hard drive to...
  7. Having two hard drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having two hard drives.: Hello Andre. I'm here Dinuka. I couldn't tell you that in my laptop there are two hard drives as one SSD and one HDD. Will this change anything when I do a reset as you said me to do.?...
  8. 2 hard drives lost boot

in Windows 10 Support
    2 hard drives lost boot: Not so sure my title is fitting, sorry i haven't been around in along time,, anyhow my issue is odd,, last night my battery back up fried out in the middle of the night it wont power on without the alarm going off like crazy. So after eliminating that then i couldn't get my...
  9. I have 2 hard drives, trying to download, one drive is full

I have 2 hard drives, trying to download, one drive is full: Ok so my first harddrive is 100 gb and the 2nd is 900. By default it uses the 100 gb one first. When i try to download something it says disk full. I went to check it out and I learned that my primary is a C drive and secondary is a D drive (i don't know the difference). i...
  10. buying a computer with 2 hard drives

buying a computer with 2 hard drives: I am thinking about buying a new computer that has both a solid state and hard disk (not sure if it is a hybrid or separate drives). Most that I have seen have a 120G SSD and a 1 or 2TB HDD. I am sure I want Windows 10 as my OS. Here is my question: will the HDD be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. having 2 windows hard drives