Windows 10: Having a microphone activated mutes all other sounds

Discus and support Having a microphone activated mutes all other sounds in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title says, whenever the mic is on (i.e. while talking to friends on discord or using the voice chat on a game) it mutes all other sounds. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AGBaggins333, May 13, 2020.

1. Having a microphone activated mutes all other sounds

As the title says, whenever the mic is on (i.e. while talking to friends on discord or using the voice chat on a game) it mutes all other sounds.
    I have a pair of REDMI Airdots, and the only way that I can listen to other things is to use the "Headset" option, but it drops the audio quality significantly.
    Initially, I thought it was a Discord problem, but recently I started playing Sea Of Thieves which has the microphone on at all times, and it muted the game sounds the same way.

submitted by /u/AGBaggins333
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AGBaggins333, May 13, 2020
  2. Cassie B Win User

muting microphone

Same issue. Windows 10 mutes the microphone only for Google Hangouts.
    I found it muted when I go to Sounds and I unmute but still doesn't work.

Troubleshooted from the sound icon and the mute issue didn't even come up as an issue.

Searched on microphone in search and then troubleshooted it from there (the troubleshooting looked different from there) and it came up that the microphone had been muted and was fixed. And guess what? I could use my microphone again.

I have found it will just mute itself again for no reason that I can find out.

Cassie B, May 13, 2020
  3. jamos316 Win User
    muting microphone

i am still having the same problem with the microphone reverting to a muted state after restart.
    the thing is there are 2 microphone drivers (for some reason),when i unmute the muted mic driver i can make a sound and i see that it is recognized but not by the driver i just unmuted.

Having a microphone activated mutes all other sounds [​IMG]

jamos316, May 13, 2020
  4. Having a microphone activated mutes all other sounds

Windows Explorer is muting microphone

Hi Jozef,

To help you stop your microphone from muting automatically, we suggest that you follow the steps suggested by
    Kalpana Shankarappa on this
    thread
    that talks about the same issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Having a microphone activated mutes all other sounds

1. Having a microphone activated mutes all other sounds - Similar Threads - Having microphone activated

2. Using mic muting all other sounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using mic muting all other sounds: When I'm using mic in discord, or just in browser 'mic test' every other sounds are like muted. Seems to be in sth like call mode? I'm using speaker and for example YouTube sound is muffled when I run mic test or discord. I already reinstalled driver or even system, selected...
  3. Using mic muting all other sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using mic muting all other sounds: When I'm using mic in discord, or just in browser 'mic test' every other sounds are like muted. Seems to be in sth like call mode? I'm using speaker and for example YouTube sound is muffled when I run mic test or discord. I already reinstalled driver or even system, selected...
  4. Microphone mutes sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microphone mutes sound: This has been happening as long as I can remember but only recently has it been a problem.I use a headset with a built in microphone and whenever an application activates the microphone it mutes any sound from other applications and most of the time the sound from the...
  5. Microphone mutes sound

Microphone mutes sound: This has been happening as long as I can remember but only recently has it been a problem.I use a headset with a built in microphone and whenever an application activates the microphone it mutes any sound from other applications and most of the time the sound from the...
  6. microphone is muting other sounds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microphone is muting other sounds: I have raycon wireless earphones and when I use the microphone it mutes all other sounds I have tried troubleshoot and disabled excessive mode and nothing will work....
  7. Using Microphone Mutes all Other Sound

Using Microphone Mutes all Other Sound: Hi, A couple weeks ago something happened I don't know what that altered my audio settings. When using my bluetooth headphones with a built in mic, whenever I entered a chat with anyone, other audio would mute. For example, I'm listening to music or watching Youtube and...
  8. Windows muting all sounds when using microphone

Windows muting all sounds when using microphone: My problem is when any program start to use my microhpone then all other app sound output is muted. I would like to hear game sounds for example when using discord. I tried all the solutions I found on the web and checked all possible settings related to sounds and...
  9. Windows mutes all other sounds Skype

Windows mutes all other sounds Skype: Hi, I have been experiencing the common issue of Windows muting all other programs when I'm using a communications application Skype and Discord while on my headphones I have reinstalled the drivers etc., despite me choosing the "do nothing" option under sound >...
  10. Notifications mute other sound

Notifications mute other sound: Hello, I'm faced with the following conundrum. I will usually have youtube documentaries etc or an audiobook running in the background. Then, one of my few friends will send me a message via Facebook Messenger, which I receive via theMessenger app for Win 10. So far, so...