Windows 10: Having a problem with formatting PC?

Discus and support Having a problem with formatting PC? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there, I may I have a problem with my pc and am not sure. Of course I googled the problem before coming here but did not find an answer that really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Vladesi, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Vladesi Win User

Having a problem with formatting PC?

Hi there, I may I have a problem with my pc and am not sure. Of course I googled the problem before coming here but did not find an answer that really helped. My problem supposedly is that I started formatting my Windows 10 (latest version) Desktop Computer and once it got prepared to start deleting and managing it re-started like normal but it is just black screen now, I'm not sure if this is normal or I should do something about it, help would be much appreciated.

:)

Vladesi, Dec 13, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

formatting a pc having genuine windows 10

Learn how to make a disk image and you will never need to reinstall Windows.

A disk image - also called a system image - is an exact copy of your hard drive, compressed into a single file. The image includes the drive's metadata, which makes the drive bootable.

Now let's suppose something bad happens and your computer gets all messed up - what do you do? First, you laugh because people take life too seriously. Then you restore a disk image you made yesterday and in a matter of minutes your computer has gone back
    in time to yesterday.

This is a fabulous way to backup your entire computer in one shot. Third-party image software makes this easy, and you can schedule the images to occur automatically, while you sleep. Backup at any interval you like: every week, every day, every 12 hours,
    etc. Once you start doing this you will wonder how you lived without it.

To be fair: The technical concepts behind imaging are a little complex, but it's nothing you can't learn. Do some research on the web and in time you'll learn everything you need to know. There's lots of good third-party imaging software. Some of it is free
    but even the paid applications have free trials. The one I use is called Macrium Reflect but there are plenty of other products.

Believe me, using a computer is much more enjoyable when you know that you can recover from disaster if you need to. Why waste a day re-installing Windows, updating drivers, re-installing your software applications and setting up everything all over again
    when, in just a few minutes, you can go back in time like nothing happened?

BulldogXX, Dec 13, 2017
  3. HairyFool Win User
    formatting a pc having genuine windows 10

Check the documentation that came with the laptop for instructions on making recovery disks. Manufacturers that do not include disks with the computer should provide the facility to make your own. Although Windows 10 includes a reset function this assumes
    that Windows continues to work.

Search for Create a Recovery drive in the Start menu. This will take you through build a repair USB which would help you boot and fix Windows if it will not start. If at the end you elect to copy the recovery image the key will even allow
    reinstallation if the HDD fails.

HairyFool, Dec 13, 2017
  4. Having a problem with formatting PC?

Hi Vladesi. Welcome to the TenForums @Vladesi

I read your post a couple of times and I'm not exactly sure I understand what you are trying to do. I do see you got a black screen.

Let me try to state what I think you were doing. You wanted to do a clean install of windows and started the process by formatting your hard drive. You were successful in doing that and you then reloaded Windows. The installation went okay and you could see the screen but when it rebooted the screen went black.

Is this what is happening?

If so then you can search this forum for Nvidia issue with V1709. This is most likely a video driver issue. I see you have an Nvidia Graphics card, thank you for filling out you specs.

Basically you have to boot to safe mode, uninstall the current driver and install an older driver. (or maybe the newest, see below.)

To get to safe mode start your computer, when you see the spinning dots power it off by holding the power key down until it shuts off. Start it up again, see the spinning dots, hold the power switch down until it shuts off. On the next power up Windows will take you to the Advance Start Options. If this doesn't work retry the process to get Windows Advance Start up Options.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Once in safe mode uninstall the Nvidia driver. You can use DDU from MajorGeeks.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...installer.html

Then install an older driver. ( I would note this is an older solution and maybe Nvidia has a very new driver that you should try first as it may have a fix.)

Before returning to a normal boot tell windows to stop updating drivers. Option 4 in this tutorial.

Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

Then boot normally.

If you tried a very new driver an it works you can go back to that tutorial and turn Driver updates back on. If you had to use an older driver to get it working you will also have to tell Nvida in Geforce experience to not update drivers.

If I've totally misunderstood issue please provide more details.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 13, 2017
Thema:

Having a problem with formatting PC?

1. Having a problem with formatting PC? - Similar Threads - Having problem formatting

2. I have some problems after a formatting in my pc please help!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have some problems after a formatting in my pc please help!: I can't find disk d in my computer after a formatting. I have tried all the solutions everyone gave on the internet but i still can't find it, I want to recover some files from it but when i download recovery programs disk d doesn't even show up in the drivers list. My pc was...
  3. I have some problems after a formatting in my pc please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have some problems after a formatting in my pc please help!: I can't find disk d in my computer after a formatting. I have tried all the solutions everyone gave on the internet but i still can't find it, I want to recover some files from it but when i download recovery programs disk d doesn't even show up in the drivers list. My pc was...
  4. I have some problems after a formatting in my pc please help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. hey i have a problem with with my pc when i try formating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hey i have a problem with with my pc when i try formating: this is the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-i-have-a-problem-with-with-my-pc-when-i-try/2eea1dc1-8165-4485-9b70-4f70680aa348
  6. hey i have a problem with with my pc when i try formating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hey i have a problem with with my pc when i try formating: this is the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-i-have-a-problem-with-with-my-pc-when-i-try/2eea1dc1-8165-4485-9b70-4f70680aa348
  7. Formating problem?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formating problem?: I decided to format my drive via cmd to try fix my computer by reinstall the win10 but I only put the command "format" and nothing else the exit the cmd, after that I try the command "format fs=NTFS quick label=system" and it says "virtual disk service error:A concurrent...
  8. Formatting problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting problems: Hello, I am having problems with the formatting process, it's pretty not letting me formatting my computer, I formatted my computer successfully 2 times, those 2 times were because of my performance's laptop, but now it's not working and I'm doing it because of a performance...
  9. format problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    format problems: wy do my messages and pic look like codes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/format-problems/005c660d-c38d-4b2b-a23c-b714de20469e"
  10. Having problems with different video formats

in Windows 10 Support
    Having problems with different video formats: I'm new to using a program called PowerDirector 12, but I think I have the basics down about how to save a video after shortening it to what I want it to be. The final problem is the different formats. When I shorten a video, it's partly to shrink the file size. But when I...