Windows 10: Having concerns about security and feel like I've been hijacked....is this normal?

Discus and support Having concerns about security and feel like I've been hijacked....is this normal? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I feel like everything I know is telling me that my computer (Win10) has been taken over. While at the same time Windows Defender and even... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SmoKenTurkey, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Having concerns about security and feel like I've been hijacked....is this normal?

I feel like everything I know is telling me that my computer (Win10) has been taken over. While at the same time Windows Defender and even MalwareBytes software is showing no indication of any threat. First thing that caught my attention was that I could not MAXIMIZE any window. After maximizing any window, it fills the screen real estate edge to edge, but grabbing the title bar it can still be slid around like before it was maximized. Other strange things like users being added to both the \users folder, as well as security objects. Digging into this, are these normal desktop.ini entries?

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21762

[LocalizedFileNames]

ODBC Data Sources (32-bit).lnk=@%SystemRoot%\syswow64\odbcint.dll,-1693
    Registry Editor.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\regedit.exe,-16
    Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\System32\AuthFWGP.dll,-20
    Task Scheduler.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\miguiresource.dll,-201
    Computer Management.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\mycomput.dll,-300

I know that something is altering my Windows Defender Firewall Inbound & Outbound Rules and there is not a single Connection Security Rule defined. Maybe I'm being overly suspicious (ok, paranoid), but something doesn't feel right, but all of the security applications are showing "thumbs up". While at the same time, the anti-virus apps are completing a 650,000+ file scan in minutes. As I am writing this I noticed that all of my subfolders under \windows\system\system32 have a create date of 10/12/19...my windows-10 has been installed for 2 years.

Are there viruses out there that can alter security apps like this? If so, what do I trust to remove the files effected. Many moons ago, to clean a system required clean booting from a known sterile boot disk and only then running removal-sweeping software. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

:)

SmoKenTurkey, Nov 8, 2019

2. Browser hijacked by safesurfs.com Malware

After reading what you went through I would strongly suggest you read the advice of Monkey57 and try his steps. Normally

Browser hijackers
    don't show this kind of behavior and more could be going on. Normally I don't suggest Resetting your computer but in this case....

Yuri Pustjens, Nov 8, 2019
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Security Concerns

Not that there aren't better answers to security concerns. Which I'm sure there always are. But to protect my own mental health, I always feel better if I...

Having concerns about security and feel like I've been hijacked....is this normal? tumblr_nd6ivfy2ju1s7oxg6o1_500.jpg

In other words...bad things are always happening to me and I can never feel 100% safe and secure no matter what I do...unless I just pretend they aren't. And do my best to not say the wrong things to the wrong people. Que sera sera. And all that jazz.

MrGenius, Nov 8, 2019
  4. qubit Win User

Having concerns about security and feel like I've been hijacked....is this normal?

Corporate Security Solution

That made me so facepalm. Some people have absolutely no clue. I hope they don't take you for granted with all this you're doing for them.

SonicWall is a good security product, so Mindweaver's suggestion sounds like a good one and should make for a rather bigger baby step. Let's hope they take it.

qubit, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Having concerns about security and feel like I've been hijacked....is this normal?

1. Having concerns about security and feel like I've been hijacked....is this normal? - Similar Threads - Having concerns security

2. Concerned About the Security of my Data!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Concerned About the Security of my Data!: "I'm concerned about the safety of my computer while using Microsoft products such as Windows and Office. I want to know how I can protect my computer from viruses and malware while using these products Memorial Company Pittsburgh. Can anyone provide me with some tips or best...
  3. Concerned About the Security of my Data!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Concerned About the Security of my Data!: "I'm concerned about the safety of my computer while using Microsoft products such as Windows and Office. I want to know how I can protect my computer from viruses and malware while using these products Memorial Company Pittsburgh. Can anyone provide me with some tips or best...
  4. I've been having this problem for about a year now. I have no idea what's wrong so I've...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I've been having this problem for about a year now. I have no idea what's wrong so I've...: Hello,The problem I am having is icons on my desktop task bar are always turning invisible, everyday, without fail. This only happens with icons in my taskbar and nowhere else on my desktop. All my graphic drivers are up to date as well as my windows version.I can still click...
  5. I've been having this problem for about a year now. I have no idea what's wrong so I've...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I've been having this problem for about a year now. I have no idea what's wrong so I've...: Hello,The problem I am having is icons on my desktop task bar are always turning invisible, everyday, without fail. This only happens with icons in my taskbar and nowhere else on my desktop. All my graphic drivers are up to date as well as my windows version.I can still click...
  6. why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is microsoft more concerned with things like making windows 11 FEEL more like using a...: I am concerned that windows 11 is just windows 10 revamped to make it look and feel more like using a MAC device --- this is basically windows throwing in the towel and admitting that they no longer wish to compete with apple to be its own separate entity--- I only start by...
  7. Keep getting BSOD, feels like I've tried everything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keep getting BSOD, feels like I've tried everything: Happens more often/faster when watching youtube videos and it feels like I've tried everything I can find on other questions like this one I'm making now. Maybe my gpu is just dying or maybe I haven't tried something On Thu 9/2/2021 10:51:17 PM your computer crashed or a...
  8. Security concern about remote pc access

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Security concern about remote pc access: Hi So I had my Windows 10 Home pc linked to a work account (Azure in tune afaik) for a short period earlier in the year. Owing to some comments made by people I am concerned that someone has used this or other means to access my pc remotely. There is a small chance that...
  9. I've been using this keyboard for about three years and I've started having trouble with it...

I've been using this keyboard for about three years and I've started having trouble with it...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BigBoiBell1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i3sx8g/ive_been_using_this_keyboard_for_about_three/
  10. I've been looking to this screen for half an hour! I feel for the worst!

I've been looking to this screen for half an hour! I feel for the worst!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/tulextreme [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0j3kx/ive_been_looking_to_this_screen_for_half_an_hour/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. [.ShellClassInfo] LocalizedResourceName=iCloud Photos