Windows 10: having issue with my PC changing my password

Discus and support having issue with my PC changing my password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This is one of 5 PC with win10 pro 2h2o and it wont let me change it. And honestly dont recall what it was. I was trying to open a share to it and I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by sdowney717, Nov 30, 2020.

1. having issue with my PC changing my password

This is one of 5 PC with win10 pro 2h2o and it wont let me change it. And honestly dont recall what it was.
    I was trying to open a share to it and I apparently dont know what it is for password.
    Tried method 3 and method 5

having issue with my PC changing my password [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

its getting too complicated....I use a PIN tp login....
    Reset Windows 10 Local Admin Password with Command Prompt

How can I do this without so much pain?
    I thought about a usb password reset disk method, but I dont see it on the setting page, so far nothing works because all I have is bad how to's.
    How to create and use a password reset disk in Windows 10 | Windows Central

- - - Updated - - -

other thing is, I dont even recall setting up a password, and if I did it would have been the same easy one I always use, and I just set this PC up a month ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I setup another user as an admin who is part of the family to login, it wanted the password which I recalled, and got in.
    IT then said said up a pin, gave no option to escape so I did.
    Then when I go to control panel user accounts, I see both our accounts listed, but click on either and there is no change password option listed, like the web instruction say... both accounts say password protected

- - - Updated - - -

This is just bizzarro, i was able to do something
    I decided to try mapping a network drive to this pc from another one using the IP address.

It then asks for user name and password, I have been trying user as 'sdown', and the password I thought I set this PC up with, and it fails.

So just randomly I changed user to 'sdowney' and the password that I thought it was, and it connected to the share...

So what is sdown versus sdowney? How is that the user ? My user folder is called 'sdown'. My email login is sdowney then some [email protected]

So what is my user name for networking??

- - - Updated - - -

These are the 'user' names on this pc, but for a mapped share, the user name that works is sdowney, not sdown.
    And why is it asking for passwords? I setup advanced sharing to say no passwords

And why is this PC also not appearing under computers in network? I had a thread about how I fixed that on a different PC, but that fix did not fix this one...

- - - Updated - - -

Something looks funny here? I am an admin as is trish

- - - Updated - - -

I found more complex instructions here, but honestly I dont understand the user name being sdowney to log into a share
    Something is not right with this, windows gui's list 'sdown' as a user name
    Think this would work?
    Lost or Forgot Administrator Password in Windows? (online-tech-tips.com)

- - - Updated - - -

Tried his instructions, and did not work, gave me same error message as earlier in first post

:)

sdowney717, Nov 30, 2020
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Problem when changing PC password

Hi Riaz,

This issue may be related to an incomplete or unsaved changes made on your account. This may also happen if you changed or reset your password for Outlook or Hotmail account but forgotten to make the change on your PC.

For better assistance, please answer the following questions:

• Have you tried changing the password again after logging in using the old password?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For the meantime, try creating a new user and see if the issue will persists. You can also check if the issue will also happen in Safe Mode.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Arjay Dom, Nov 30, 2020
  3. having issue with my PC changing my password

This is one of 5 PC with win10 pro 2h2o and it wont let me change it. And honestly dont recall what it was.
    I was trying to open a share to it and I apparently dont know what it is for password.
    Tried method 3 and method 5

- - - Updated - - -

its getting too complicated....I use a PIN tp login....
    Reset Windows 10 Local Admin Password with Command Prompt

How can I do this without so much pain?
    I thought about a usb password reset disk method, but I dont see it on the setting page, so far nothing works because all I have is bad how to's.
    How to create and use a password reset disk in Windows 10 | Windows Central

- - - Updated - - -

other thing is, I dont even recall setting up a password, and if I did it would have been the same easy one I always use, and I just set this PC up a month ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I setup another user as an admin who is part of the family to login, it wanted the password which I recalled, and got in.
    IT then said said up a pin, gave no option to escape so I did.
    Then when I go to control panel user accounts, I see both our accounts listed, but click on either and there is no change password option listed, like the web instruction say... both accounts say password protected

- - - Updated - - -

This is just bizzarro, i was able to do something
    I decided to try mapping a network drive to this pc from another one using the IP address.

It then asks for user name and password, I have been trying user as 'sdown', and the password I thought I set this PC up with, and it fails.

So just randomly I changed user to 'sdowney' and the password that I thought it was, and it connected to the share...

So what is sdown versus sdowney? How is that the user ? My user folder is called 'sdown'. My email login is sdowney then some L: [email protected]

So what is my user name for networking??

- - - Updated - - -

These are the 'user' names on this pc, but for a mapped share, the user name that works is sdowney, not sdown.
    And why is it asking for passwords? I setup advanced sharing to say no passwords

And why is this PC also not appearing under computers in network? I had a thread about how I fixed that on a different PC, but that fix did not fix this one...

- - - Updated - - -

Something looks funny here? I am an admin as is trish

- - - Updated - - -

I found more complex instructions here, but honestly I dont understand the user name being sdowney to log into a share
    Something is not right with this, windows gui's list 'sdown' as a user name
    Think this would work?
    Lost or Forgot Administrator Password in Windows? (online-tech-tips.com)

- - - Updated - - -

Tried his instructions, and did not work, gave me same error message as earlier in first post

sdowney717, Nov 30, 2020
  4. having issue with my PC changing my password

Changing PC Password Logon

Hi, Mary.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.
    I understand your concern, we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

As per your query, I suggest that you refer to the steps provided below and check if you can change the password:

• Sign in to your Microsoft Account, click on the Start Menu, and then click on Settings.
    • Select Security and Privacy, select Change Password.
    • Enter the new password you want and Save Changes.

Also refer to the links below for more information.

Link 1: How do I change my password?

Change or reset your Windows password

Link 2: Reset Password.

Reset your password

Hope this information was helpful. Please let us know the status of your issue so that we can assist you further.

Vanessa Sohtun, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

having issue with my PC changing my password

1. having issue with my PC changing my password - Similar Threads - having issue changing

2. changing my password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    changing my password: In spite of successfully. changing my password, when I sign in again I'm refused. I've done this the past two days since I get locked out. I'm trying to talk to a human to help me and find no way to do this. I have several applications on my android phone that I can no longer...
  3. Changed My Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed My Password: Why is my new password to sign into Microsoft work in my Android phone but not on my Dell desktop?My response on my desktop says the password you entered for your device is incorrect. Please try again.Scott...
  4. Changed My Password

Changed My Password: Why is my new password to sign into Microsoft work in my Android phone but not on my Dell desktop?My response on my desktop says the password you entered for your device is incorrect. Please try again.Scott...
  5. Don't have option to change my password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Don't have option to change my password: My laptop just don't have the option to change the password, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dont-have-option-to-change-my-password/f6f60754-0a8f-40cc-bbe9-35cd50edc188
  6. Don't have option to change my password

Don't have option to change my password: My laptop just don't have the option to change the password, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dont-have-option-to-change-my-password/f6f60754-0a8f-40cc-bbe9-35cd50edc188
  7. Having issues with my PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Having issues with my PC: Hey folks, First of all I want to say that this place is absolutely amazing, the resources you've got are stellar. It stinks that I didn't find this website sooner as it might've meant that I wouldn't have screwed up as much as I ended up doing. I'll try to be brief and I...
  8. Changing my password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing my password: I'm wondering if I decide to change my password will I still be able to access my stuff on my device's right away after it is changed. Is it normal to have a problem getting access to my account after making a change. See I want to change it, but if I'm going to have problems...
  9. Having issues with my pc on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Having issues with my pc on startup: I've owned my pc for about half a year now but recently it's been giving me a ton of issues that's making it almost unusable. Upon startup the pc will get stuck in a system repair loop or blue screen 5-10 times. It seems the only way for me to boot it up is to skip disk...
  10. Having multiple issues with my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Having multiple issues with my PC: I'm having multiple issues with my laptop. The file explorer doesn't respond properly for 1. When I open it, files show up as blank paper icons. It also has a long load bar. Some files dont even load. Another thing is, in photoshop when I try to open a doc, the open window...