Windows 10: Having issues booting from Windows USB on pc.

Discus and support Having issues booting from Windows USB on pc. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I am having an issue with trying to install Windows on a PC. On this PC I have never been able to enter the BIOS or boot loader screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Pendergo, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Pendergo Win User

Having issues booting from Windows USB on pc.

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue with trying to install Windows on a PC. On this PC I have never been able to enter the BIOS or boot loader screen. At the moment I have somehow installed a version of Cloud Ready ChromeOS but I would now like to make use of an old Windows Home license I have so I would like to reinstall Windows back onto the PC again. When I insert the USB with the installer on it boots straight to the hard drive. I have tried pressing certain F keys on the keyboard such as F10 and F11 but it just stays on a black screen. It seems as if the BIOS loads but doesn't display on the monitor. I understand this is more a motherboard issue than Windows but I have got no help on other forums. Also I am sure that the USB installer works fine since I have recently used it to reinstall Windows onto another laptop which worked fine.

Would it be possible to remove the hard drive from the computer, install it into an old laptop where the BIOS actually works and install Windows to the hard drive. Then put the hard drive back to the original PC? I have already tried removing the CMOS battery and turning on the computer without the hard drive connected without any success.

Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

Pendergo, Feb 25, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Feb 25, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Feb 25, 2020
  4. JimboC Win User

Having issues with boot time on my gaming pc

Hi JonathanC,

I would also try using the Sysinternals tool, Process Monitor to log the boot time activity of your computer.

Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals

Here is a blog post from Mark Russinovich detailing how he used it to solve a slow login and another article that provides more info on its boot logging capability:

Archived MSDN and TechNet Blogs

Use Process Monitor To Optimize The Windows Boot Process - gHacks Tech News

You might also consider using the Logon and Services tabs of Sysinternals Autoruns tool to ensure that you are running as clean a system as possible:

Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals

This tool should show more information than CCleaner (I could be wrong about that).

Please also run the following tools and let us know the results since MBR infections can cause slow boots (these infections cannot be removed with a re-format of the hard drive since the MBR is not written to during the standard format process).

You should backup any data that you cannot afford to lose before proceeding with the steps below since they can occasionally cause further issues:

TDSS Killer:
    Download the Kaspersky TDSS Killer tool from here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

Instructions on how to use it are here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/find?faq_id=2663

You might also find the following article on TDSS rootkits useful:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller

Repairing MBR
    If after the above steps, the issue of slow a boot up remains, I would suggest creating a new MBR using the Windows Recovery Console (I realize that you are using Windows 7, I have included the steps for Windows XP for reference only):

Windows XP
    How to install the Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us

How to use and the commands available in the Recovery Console:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/en-us

The command you will need is fixmbr

Windows Vista and Windows 7
    The procedure for repairing the MBR using Windows Vista or Windows 7 is different from Windows XP, for information on the steps necessary, please see the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

As before, start the computer and put the Windows installation DVD in your optical drive and boot from it.

Press a key when prompted, set the language and keyboard layout that you wish to use when the GUI (Graphical User Interface) loads.

Follow the steps mentioned in the above knowledge base article to open a Command Prompt window and type:

Repair the MBR
    Bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Reboot the computer.

If necessary (i.e. the issue is still occuring), type the following command:

Repair the Windows Boot Loader
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

If necessary, type the following command:

Repair the BCD (Windows Vista and Windows 7 only)

Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

If you encounter the "Bootmgr is Missing" error on boot up, you can instead use the following commands to resolve it:

Follow the above steps but substitute the commands after opening the Command Prompt window (using the boot from DVD steps mentioned in the above knowledge base article):

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MBR.exe:
    http://www2.gmer.net/mbr/mbr.exe

Download this program and run it as administrator. If the text file (.txt) file that it creates in the same folder as you downloaded this program to mentions any of the following text, you probably have an infection:

Copy of MBR has been found in sector
    malicious code @ sector
    PE file found in sector at [memory location within MBR]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The steps details above should remove this infection if it is present, if not, please re-post in this thread.

I hope the above information is of assistance to you.

Thank you.

JimboC, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Having issues booting from Windows USB on pc. - Similar Threads - Having issues booting

2. Booting pc from usb flash.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting pc from usb flash.: Hello, i tried to reset my hp compac pc, and unfortunately it crashed. So i bought a new hard drive. Am trying to boot it using a usb flash, but it keeps on telling me 'remove disks or other media, press any key to restart, no bootable device insert boot disk and press any...
  3. Booting pc from usb flash.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting pc from usb flash.: Hello, i tried to reset my hp compac pc, and unfortunately it crashed. So i bought a new hard drive. Am trying to boot it using a usb flash, but it keeps on telling me 'remove disks or other media, press any key to restart, no bootable device insert boot disk and press any...
  4. Booting pc from usb flash.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Pc won't boot windows from usb

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Pc won't boot windows from usb: I downloaded windows 10 onto my usb but when i attempt to boot from it i get a black screen with windows symbol momentarily and then it just reboots back to motherboard screen. Eventually computer just crashes....
  6. PC will not Boot from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC will not Boot from USB: I know this is a very common problem but I still need help non the less. I recently purchased a PC at a garage sale (it actually turns on and displays the bios) that has and Intel core 2 duo 8GB of DDR2 ram all on a Intel Desktop Board DQ35JO. I recently put Windows 10 (x64...
  7. Usb boot issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb boot issue: Succeeded in getting Win 10 to boot to my usb hard drives after weeks of banging my head against the wall but now it does work. Have now hit another issue with booting to usb. The weekend, I installed a game for one of my Grandsons, Special Ops The Line. Game worked great and...
  8. USB booting issues.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB booting issues.: Had this problem about a year or so ago. Also had so many issues with 10 I had to go back to 7 to complete some important research and projects. Went back to 10 a few months ago and have it running very well now except for an important issue. I use Casper 10 to create my...
  9. Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC: How to: Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC How to Boot from a USB Flash Drive in Windows 10 This tutorial will show you how to boot from a USB drive at boot or from within a Windows 10 PC or Surface. If you have fast boot or ultra fast boot enabled in your UEFI...
  10. Will Win 10 pc boot from usb?

in Windows 10 Support
    Will Win 10 pc boot from usb?: HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-pOXX. Windows 10 Home (X64) Version 1703 (build 15063.483) I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free and made a disk image of my drive c:\. It appears to be all there. At Macrium's suggestion I rebooted with the drive attached but the...