Windows 10: Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!

Discus and support Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!! in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I just got myself a new HP S430C monitor that has a built-in pop up IR Camera that meets the requirements for Windows Hello. I have connected my... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by LloydPalmer94, May 1, 2020.

1. Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!

I just got myself a new HP S430C monitor that has a built-in pop up IR Camera that meets the requirements for Windows Hello. I have connected my Surface Laptop 3 using a single USB-C cable.

Following advice on previous posts on the community, I have disabled the camera on my Surface Laptop 3, which allows me to use the camera on the monitor, BUT only if the lid on the Surface is lifted. If I close it, Windows Hello doesn't recognise the external camera and therefore requests PIN entry. So closing the lid seems to deactivate the Hello feature, even though there is an external camera connected - Does anyone know if there is a setting I can change to fix this? Already selected the 'Do Nothing' setting in the battery options but that seems to have no effect.

I have opened up a case with HP to see if they can help but as far as I can tell, Microsoft haven't thought about people docking their Surface devices with displays that have built-in IR Cameras.

Microsoft, PLEASE release an update to fix this. If there is an external IR camera detected, you should be allowed to select which one you want to use for Hello - And be able to close the lid of the laptop! And without having to disable the built-in camera!

:)

LloydPalmer94, May 1, 2020
  2. AJMazza Win User

Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

AJMazza, May 1, 2020
  3. Can Windows Hello face authentication support 2 IR Cameras

We have a laptop that has an IR Camera with Windows Hello face authentication setup and working, but when the user docks their laptop usually has the lid closed so can't use the built in laptop IR camera. We setup and external IR camera to try and resolve
    this, but it doesn't work the laptop appears to be able to only use 1 IR camera for Windows Hello. If we disable the laptop IR camera the external camera works, but then the laptop IR camera doesn't work when they're mobile. Is there anyway that Windows Hello
    can you both cameras or somehow disable the laptop IR camera when docked?

Randy-Gleason, May 1, 2020
  4. Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!

Windows hello on external camera

Hi, i have a Surface Laptop 3 that i have connected to an external monitor using USB-C (on both ends). The monitor is a Philips Brilliance 499P and it has a built in camera that is Windows Hello Compatible.

The problem is that i am not able to set the built in camera as default for Windows Hello when i am connected to the monitor. The camera is accessible when i use Teams, Camera app etc. but i have to use the laptop camera when i need to log in via Windows
    Hello which is quite annoying.

I have found a couple of guides telling me to go to Devices and Printers, locate the camera there and set it as default. I find the camera there, but there is no option to set it as default. Another tips i have found is disabling the Surface Laptop camera,
    but this means i would have to reenable it when i disconnect the laptop from the external monitor so that is no good either.

So, does anyone else have the same issue, and even better, anyone have a solution for this? I have run all windows updated, and i have also installed the latest drivers for the monitor.

Thanks in advance Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!! :)

Christian Wærsten, May 1, 2020
Thema:

Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!

1. Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!! - Similar Threads - Having issues using

2. Surface Laptop 3 - Issue daisy-chaining 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop 3 - Issue daisy-chaining 3rd monitor: I have a Surface Laptop 3, an HP E24d docking monitor, and an HP22er monitor. I want to daisy-chain the monitors together but I can't get the last monitor to work. Here's my current setup: Surface Laptop > USB-C cable > HPE24d > IVANKY Active DP to HDMI adaptor > HDMI cable >...
  3. Surface Laptop 3 - Issue daisy-chaining 3rd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Laptop 3 - Issue daisy-chaining 3rd monitor: I have a Surface Laptop 3, an HP E24d docking monitor, and an HP22er monitor. I want to daisy-chain the monitors together but I can't get the last monitor to work. Here's my current setup: Surface Laptop > USB-C cable > HPE24d > IVANKY Active DP to HDMI adaptor > HDMI cable >...
  4. Extending to dual external monitors on Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Extending to dual external monitors on Surface Laptop 3: I'm thinking about purchasing 2 external monitors 2x Dell 27 USB-C - P2722HE to use with my Surface Laptop 3 USBC 3.1, so that i can extend the 2 monitors via daisy chaining. USBC to USBC between the laptop and the first monitor, and then Displayport to Display port between...
  5. Built in camera for microsodt surface pro 3 not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Built in camera for microsodt surface pro 3 not working: I've tried everything to fix my front camera and followed every instructions. I also did a reset for my surface but it still doesnt work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/built-in-camera-for-microsodt-surface-pro-3-not/3c54eca4-a355-4689-aefc-63195924abaf
  6. Monitor With Built In Camera ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Monitor With Built In Camera ?: Hello, Anyone know of a perhaps < $200 Monitor we can use with a HP Laptops that has a built in camera (for Zoom,etc.) like the Apple Mac's have ? Running W10. Looked in Amazon, but couldn't find any. Are there ? Thanks, Bob 155849
  7. Second monitor for Surface laptop 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor for Surface laptop 3: Hi there, I have a Surface Laptop 3 and am trying to connect it to a second monitor. On the settings page, the "detect" button does not detect a second display. I am trying to connect to a Dell monitor, model 2208WFPt, through VGA, using a VGA to Micro USB adaptor. Any ideas...
  8. Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...: I am using a laptop with a broken screen where i can literally see nothing but black and white and some messed up stuff and I use an external monitor, so basically I am blind without the external monitor. I recently updated the laptop from win7 to win10, I waited for it to...
  9. Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor: Hi All, Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and...
  10. Surface laptop Camera Issues

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Surface laptop Camera Issues: My camera and microphone have stopped working for video calls and Windows Hello says it couldn't turn on the camera. I have tried many of the suggested solutions with no luck and would love to know how to fix it. Thank you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms teams troubleshoot camera

2. surface laptop 3 not registering external displays