Windows 10: Having Issues with Built-In Administrator

Discus and support Having Issues with Built-In Administrator in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am not sure what caused it, but when I try to run the calculator, the calendar or Microsoft Edge, I get this message: "Can't be opened by Built-in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by cardnut, Mar 10, 2016.

1. cardnut Win User

Having Issues with Built-In Administrator

I am not sure what caused it, but when I try to run the calculator, the calendar or Microsoft Edge, I get this message:

"Can't be opened by Built-in Administrator Account. Sign into a different account and try again."

I have no clue where this came from. I have never had this issue before.

:)

cardnut, Mar 10, 2016

2. difficulty with "built in administrator"

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will assist you.

I suggest you to perform the methods provided below:

Method 1: Run a SFC (System File Checker) scan.

• Right clink on Start button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
    • Type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
    • After the scan is complete, type “exit” and press Enter.

For more information about SFC scan, click on the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Method 2: Disable UAC prompts.

• In the search bar, type Control Panel and press Enter.
    • Click on User Accounts and again click on User Accounts.
    • Click on Change User account control settings.
    • Provide password for the UAC prompt.
    • Drag the box from Always Notify to Never Notify and click on OK.
    • Provide password for the UAC prompt (if asked again).

Important: Turning off UAC reduces the security of your computer and may expose you to increased risk from malicious software. We do not recommend leaving UAC disabled.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 10, 2016
  3. difficulty with "built in administrator"

ok, here goes. When i bought this computer, it had windows 10 already installed. Also note that whenever I go to open different apps, a pop up appears saying that "this app cannot open, because you have built in administrator, please sign in with a different
    account and try again. So I did what most people would do, try to create a new account on my laptop, but whenever i go to create one, the application suddenly closes itself. I have had many problems with these apps, and the power dvd player that was installed
    with the computer. I am not able to play a dvd series without paying an additional $300 to upgrade it, and the windows dvd player that should have come free with the computer is not installed.

Toliver.am, Mar 10, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Cardnut,

The built-in Administrator is an elevated account, and Store apps will not run while signed in to this account. You would need to sign in to another account on your PC.

Did you do anything to disable UAC, or to elevate the privileges of administrator accounts on the PC?

Brink, Mar 10, 2016
  5. cardnut Win User
    I did not do anything to disable it and I am the only one on this PC. How do I check the UAC?

cardnut, Mar 10, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Are you currently signed in to the built-in "Administrator" account?

Brink, Mar 10, 2016
  7. cardnut Win User
    When I look at my account, it says 'Administrator' so I assume that is the built-in one. When I originally created the account, I did set it up as the admin account.

cardnut, Mar 10, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt type:

net localgroup administrators

What user accounts are listed in the administrators group?

NavyLCDR, Mar 11, 2016
  9. cardnut Win User
    There are 2 - Administrator and cardn. cardn is my account.

cardnut, Mar 11, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You'll need to sign in to the "cardn" account instead. *Smile

Brink, Mar 11, 2016
  11. cardnut Win User
    I did sign into that one. But I still get the errors.

cardnut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Having Issues with Built-In Administrator - Similar Threads - Having Issues Built

2. Built-in administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Built-in administrator: Hi microsoft team , Recently an update failed to install on my hp laptop which has windows 10 home edition and now whenever I open any app it just shows THIS APP CAN"T OPEN Microsoft edge can't be opened using the built in administrator account Please help me with this...
  3. Built-In Administrator not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Built-In Administrator not working: I was trying to change my Window's account user name and the folder's name in C:\users\ and one of the steps was to create a built-in administrator, which I did and it worked perfectly. net user Administrator /active:yes I then de-activated it. and when i tried to activate...
  4. Built-In Administrator not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Built-In Administrator not working: I was trying to change my Window's account user name and the folder's name in C:\users\ and one of the steps was to create a built-in administrator, which I did and it worked perfectly. net user Administrator /active:yes I then de-activated it. and when i tried to activate...
  5. I have no administrative permissions on any guest account, and the built in administrative...

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have no administrative permissions on any guest account, and the built in administrative...: Hi, a long story short I had unintentionally disabled admin permissions for all of my guest accounts. Using the command prompt "net user administrator/ active:yes" in an effort to add the administrator account yields error 5, naturally as neither accounts have any admin...
  6. UAC / Built-in administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC / Built-in administrator: Hi, (1) when I try to uninstall a program using control panel, UAC show 'to continue, enter an admin user name and password'. Where can I input the user name and password? (2) My login account is user. It seems that there is no active account with administrative privileges....
  7. Built In Administrator Password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Built In Administrator Password: Updated to Windows 10 latest update. I have no CLUE in how to find my Built In Administrator Password. I've spent all week hrs upon hrs. trying to find files that might have it or even a hint. I'm completely LOST and not a computer programmer. I can't do this, too much...
  8. Windows 10: only have built-in administrator account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10: only have built-in administrator account?: So yesterday i installed windows 10 on my computer and ofcourse i kept all my files. So i logged in to a microsoft account in order to use the app store. But when i looked, windows also used that microsoft account as email adres and name of my windows account on my pc....
  9. Built in administrator account

Built in administrator account: I've been using Windows 10 since the auto update from 8.1 Everything has worked since then, but then this happens. Randomly in the last days, if I click on any app, I get prompted "App cannot be opened using the built-in administrator account." I don't know where...
  10. Built in Administrator

Built in Administrator: Help running Windows 10, and I am stuck in the Built in Administrator log-in. It started when I was tring to disable the log-in password for my account in Windows. I can not log-in to my user's account and do not see my profile. I have went the Users Account page in the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cortina command prompt with administrative privileges