Windows 10: Having periodic PC startup problems

Discus and support Having periodic PC startup problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Because about half the time when I try to start my PC with Windows 10 it just sits there after I enter my password and click on Enter it shows a ring... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wilhelm45, Nov 23, 2016.

1. wilhelm45 Win User

Having periodic PC startup problems

Because about half the time when I try to start my PC with Windows 10 it just sits there after I enter my password and click on Enter it shows a ring of dots whirling endlessly and will not progress beyond that point even though I click Enter, Esc, F12 or anything else. I must then go through the annoying time-consuming ritual below to get it to work normally. Also, the PC won’t turn off when I hit the PC power button while it is in this uncooperative condition.
    ANNOYING RITUAL STEPS:

• Turn off power strip pc is plugged into & wait 30 secs
    • Turn power strip on again
    • Turn off PC with its power button when it lights up then wait 30 secs
    • Turn on PC power AGAIN with its power button
    • Hope the PC starts normally as it should after entering password
    • Repeat annoying process if necessary although this usually works the first time
    Can anyone help me cure this annoying, time - wasting problem? Thank you very much.*Sad

:)

wilhelm45, Nov 23, 2016
  2. Alexium67 Win User

Most Used list in the Start menu not saving

Unfortunately problem returned today after PC powering on. "Most used" was missing like disabled. I did log out and log in to the account. List is restored now. I don't know what will be at next reboot or power on. Something may locking list loading at startup.

Added later: And yesterday too. And today again... I think it is something with night long period of unactivity or with the date or time. Every moring I have this issue with the "Most Used". But no any problems with powering off or reboots
    during days. All works fine and all restores fine at startups. Only first startups having issue.

Alexium67, Nov 23, 2016
  3. Bsod with "Ättempted execute of noexecute memory"

Hello, so for the past weeks i have been having problems with my PC.

It randomly restarts, freezes or doesn't boot. But sometimes it crashes with said bsod.

I have reinstalled windows 10 completely, i have done the windows memorycheck, i am out of options.

If it is required, i can give you the minidump it generated.

This PC atm is a timebomb, it crashes totally randomly, but most noticeable during the startup period and 15 min after that. After that it might work for 1-4 hours with no issues before it crashes again.

Sinister123, Nov 23, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

When the PC is uncooperative you can usually hold down the power button for 4-5 seconds and it will turn off. Have you tried this?

philc43, Nov 23, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Time to do a Wipe and install. No amount of headache and sanity relief med is going to fix something like this that is getting common with 10 when you upgrade it on top of an existing OS.

10 was an upgrade over to get it activated when it was released. Used to be that you could just wipe and enter a key, that is not the case anymore.

Once 10 is active and shows in System Properties when you right click on the C:/ Drive icon and choose propertied, you can then just wipe it to get rid of the issues and install a clean copy.

bro67, Nov 23, 2016
  6. wilhelm45 Win User
    Was not able to reply sooner because my periodic problem decided not to appear for a while. I tried your suggestion of holding down the power button 4-5 seconds and it worked. Problem is that this method did not cure my original problem, of course, but it did lessen the steps I have to take to get the computer to work properly. I am still hoping someone will have a solution other than wiping it clean then starting over again.

wilhelm45, Dec 7, 2016
  7. wilhelm45 Win User
    for fear that some unintended disaster will occur.
    Thanks bro67. I was hoping someone would come up with a less drastic solution. Maybe its just me but I hesitate to wipe everything then re-install Windows 10

wilhelm45, Dec 7, 2016
  8. spunk Win User

Try doing a Clean Boot. If this works, then add one of the disabled Services, or Startup items at a time, rebooting each time, until the computer doesn't boot properly. Then you will know the offending program

spunk, Dec 7, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Really no less drastic solution in how much Microsoft has royally screwed up what began as a half way decent OS. At some point they will be moving to a Linux based OS and follow Apple's lead in how they have embedded anti-malware safeguards into the OS. Microsoft's x86 on ARM64 emulation: A Windows 10 'Redstone 3' Fall 2017 feature | ZDNet

bro67, Dec 7, 2016
  10. wilhelm45 Win User
    *Smile
    4 weeks of pneumonia has prevented me from finally replying. I like the Clean Boot idea and will use it the next time my periodic problem occurs. It sounds like a good, logical way of going. Thank you all for contributing ideas to solve my problem. I believe I can say the discussion has come to a satisfactory end.

wilhelm45, Jan 1, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    Did you find the offending startup program? I recommend Autoruns to disable unwanted startup programs and services provided you have the expertise to use it. Also check you have the latest BIOS version for your PC which fully supports Windows 10.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Having periodic PC startup problems - Similar Threads - Having periodic startup

2. I’m having problems with startup on my laptop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I’m having problems with startup on my laptop.: Hi need help windows 10 keeps rebooting on Samsung laptop logo,I’ve tried everything I can think of including contacting MS Support and got nowhere finally after reading about other peoples problems I came across a screenshot of someone’s drives ,so I checked mine and noticed...
  3. New PC having issues with periodic blue screens.

New PC having issues with periodic blue screens.: Hello,For the last couple of months or so, my PC has been having issues with blue screens. It doesn't seem to be triggered by any activity in particular. It happened once while playing a game, happened again while browsing Youtube, and then I had it happen while I was running...
  4. New PC having issues with periodic blue screens.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC having issues with periodic blue screens.: Hello,For the last couple of months or so, my PC has been having issues with blue screens. Things I've tried so far,1. I ran Windows memory diagnostic, and it didn't detect any issues.2. I ran a SFC scan and it didn't detect any issues. 3. Updated drivers and Windows.4....
  5. New PC having issues with periodic blue screens.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC having issues with periodic blue screens.: Hello,For the last couple of months or so, my PC has been having issues with blue screens. Things I've tried so far,1. I ran Windows memory diagnostic, and it didn't detect any issues.2. I ran a SFC scan and it didn't detect any issues. 3. Updated drivers and Windows.4....
  6. Having issues with my pc on startup

Having issues with my pc on startup: I've owned my pc for about half a year now but recently it's been giving me a ton of issues that's making it almost unusable. Upon startup the pc will get stuck in a system repair loop or blue screen 5-10 times. It seems the only way for me to boot it up is to skip disk...
  7. Having problems with startup. Blank screen for long periods.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Having problems with startup. Blank screen for long periods.: Purchased Windows 10 for my HP Envy dv6 Notebook. Having problems with startup. Blank screen for long periods. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/canview1/c48b3b4b-f8d7-437d-9c7c-c89c545eb602
  8. periods. after. words. problem

periods. after. words. problem: why. is. this. putting. periods. after. every. word? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/periods-after-words-problem/2822de18-ae45-4083-b4a5-744c2e431b00
  9. periodic DNS sever problems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    periodic DNS sever problems: I can fix DNS problems with the FLUSHDNS command and IPCONFIG release and renew. But the fix is only temporary. 1.What causes the problem to re-occur? 2. If I connect by cat5 cable, will the issue go away? Thanks Malcolm...
  10. PC startup problems

PC startup problems: Here is a basic rundown of what happened: - I got the infamous BSOD for the first time - Error code: Memory management - Next day was fine - Updated all my drivers and windows 10 - PC was fine until I started playing games (BSOD) - Reset my PC but kept files - All...