Windows 10: Having problems post Win10 1903 update (build 18362.388)?

Discus and support Having problems post Win10 1903 update (build 18362.388)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently updated my HP laptop to the latest 1903 update and this morning the computer went into recovery mode upon boot up. Said the Win10 update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HowardMoore3, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Having problems post Win10 1903 update (build 18362.388)?

I recently updated my HP laptop to the latest 1903 update and this morning the computer went into recovery mode upon boot up. Said the Win10 update had not loaded properly and took me through several steps culminating in it performing a check and correct sequence. Has anyone else run into this post the installation and was there some additional update that may have triggered this?

I am also noticing the machine has slowed in terms of response since the update. Is there anything that needs to be done to clean up after the update to improve performance?

Thanks,

Howard

:)

HowardMoore3, Oct 4, 2019
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Oct 4, 2019
  3. Arkane78 Win User
    Win10 Pro (1903 - Build 18362) System Restore behaviour

I've noticed some strange behaviour with creating a System Restore Point in Windows 10, this may be an oddball way of doing things but it's worked for me for many years prior to upgrading to Windows 10 x64 (from Windows 7 x64).

In short - I had a scheduled task that ran daily - every 4 hours, which created a System Restore Point in Powershell.

The code for this is as follows:

Code:
    Checkpoint-Computer -Description "[CreateSR] Scheduled Restore Point" -RestorePointType MODIFY_SETTINGS
    Now, this worked perfectly in Windows 7 (and it may have been working perfectly in Windows 10 post-upgrade - I can't be certain), however - the point is running the above command on my PC will certainly create a System Restore Point on all drives but my
    System Drive (the same drive on which Windows is installed).

Looking at System Restore, it shows the restore point as a valid one to use - so far, so good.

If I undertake the following test process:

1. Create Folder on Drive C: (can be called anything)
    2. Inside folder, create a text file, any name - write a couple of words and save the file.
    3. Execute Powershell above.
    4. Modify file you created in Step #2 and save.

This SHOULD give me Previous Versions of the file at the time I executed step #3 - but it instead tells me there are no restore points available.

If I modify the Powershell script to use APPLICATION_INSTALL as the RestorePointType instead of MODIFY_SETTINGS, I still get a restore point in System Restore, but still nothing in Previous Versions.

If I check any other drive than C: - I get plenty of previous versions, with timestamps which match when I took the snapshots, either manually or on schedule.

If I disable the schedule and instead use a VBScript to take a snapshot (code below):

Code:
    swinmgmts = "winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore"

GetObject(swinmgmts).CreateRestorePoint "[CreateSR] Scheduled Restore Point", 7, 100
    I do indeed get System Restore Points as before and they are present on Drive C:.

If I use an older version of the above code (which I used successfully on Windows 7) - substituting 7, 100 with 0, 100 - it again, creates a restore point as far as System Restore is concerned, but doesn't show any old files (repeating the steps above).

I'm wondering if anyone else has similar issues using Automatic System Restore Points or whether my Windows 10 is a little odd in that it is happy to create Restore Points while using the APPLICATION_INSTALL flag with WMI, yet won't do the same task with
    the MODIFY_SETTINGS flag. The fact it won't do either under Powershell confuses me even more.

I'd like to add the following - there are no events in Event Viewer that suggests VSS is having any issues or problems, my disks are good (chkdsk /f), the OS is good (sfc /scannow) and I'm definitely executing everything as an Administrator - be it schedule
    tasks or manually performing the steps.

This may well be the result of a Windows 10 update or this may be the behaviour of Windows 10 right from the start that I simply never noticed - but to be fair, how often do you check things if there isn't a problem with it? Having problems post Win10 1903 update (build 18362.388)? :)

Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions would be helpful - if any more detail is required, let me know.

Edit: Forgot to mention I'd set the SystemRestorePointCreationFrequency DWORD to 0 (so I can create as many restore points as I like).

Edit #2: This seems to happen on another PC I have tried it on, so it looks like something is either broken with 2 independent Win10 PCs (same OS build, architecture) or there's some strange misconfiguration somewhere - or maybe MS changed something with
    a patch?

Arkane78, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Martmcd Win User

Having problems post Win10 1903 update (build 18362.388)?

What build version is Windows 10 Update 1903?

Hi MrSleazey,

build 17763 is 1809

1903 should be 18362

there should not be a watermark on the desktop.

to check the version installed go to settings -> system -> about

look at windows specifications

Martmcd, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Having problems post Win10 1903 update (build 18362.388)?

1. Having problems post Win10 1903 update (build 18362.388)? - Similar Threads - Having problems post

2. Network issue after Windows 10, version 1903 update version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network issue after Windows 10, version 1903 update version 10.0.18362 Build 18362: After restart the Network icon changed to a globe, it said I didn't have Internet access but I did. Normally my networks SSID displays, but that no longer does. Some .NET Framework 3.5 4.8 cumulative updates came up so I applied them, after the restart, the original...
  3. Graphics card issue after latest Win10 update 10.0.18362 Build 18362

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Graphics card issue after latest Win10 update 10.0.18362 Build 18362: I have an Alienware 17 R2 with GeForce GTX980m Everything seem to be running ok until the latest feature update. Since then I get a Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) on the 980m device and it will not come on at all. I tried...
  4. No Sound Conexant "Pebble Beach" on winver 1903 build 18362

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Sound Conexant "Pebble Beach" on winver 1903 build 18362: I have an older HP/CPQ system running pretty well, surprisingly so, with Windows 10 version 1903 build 18362, except for the now-notorious Audio Device issues. I see another long thread here about the devices I am dealing with but just due to idosyncrasies of the way...
  5. Win10 Pro (1903 - Build 18362) System Restore behaviour

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 Pro (1903 - Build 18362) System Restore behaviour: I've noticed some strange behaviour with creating a System Restore Point in Windows 10, this may be an oddball way of doing things but it's worked for me for many years prior to upgrading to Windows 10 x64 (from Windows 7 x64). In short - I had a scheduled task that ran...
  6. Problems after updating to Build 1903

Problems after updating to Build 1903: I updated my HP laptop to build 1903 on 7/12. I started 7/10 and finally got it to take two in a couple of days. It worked fine. On Friday, I restarted the computer and got a "preparing windows" message. I lost every setting I had except windows password and pin....
  7. Problems after 1903 build

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems after 1903 build: Since update 1903, chrome broken, stops and starts & scroll has problems and toggle sound on caps lock stopped working. Settings are correct, MS Support has no clue except to back out, but update happened > 10 days. Anyone have either or both those issues?...
  8. win10 update 1903

win10 update 1903: will this update fix missing files and corrupt files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win10-update-1903/0a4f50d1-5286-47f3-92a7-6ea6c54f3080
  9. Sandboxie Beta 5.31.1, fixes downloadi issue in W10 build 18362 (1903)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie Beta 5.31.1, fixes downloadi issue in W10 build 18362 (1903): Sandboxie Beta 5.31.1 has been released, it fixes issue that prevented files from being downloaded when browsing sandboxed (W10 1903). *Tongue To this point, that was the only known issue between Sandboxie and W10 1903. And now is fixed. *Smile Changes and fixes. Changes...
  10. Small issue in latest build 18362....

in Windows 10 Support
    Small issue in latest build 18362....: Got a strange issue! I have a Lenovo T530 laptop....and I was able to install 18362....after several failing tries of the update site, but eventually had to install via the ISO on a USB. EVERYTHING is working.....so I am very pleased. I do have one small issue. When I close...