Windows 10: Having problems with the start button and the wifi selector.

Discus and support Having problems with the start button and the wifi selector. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi guys, as the title reads, I am currently having this strange problem with the start button. If I go to press it, the menu opens up for a second and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Electric_Kettle, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Having problems with the start button and the wifi selector.

Hi guys, as the title reads, I am currently having this strange problem with the start button. If I go to press it, the menu opens up for a second and then automatically closes itself. As to the WiFi selector, when I open the WiFi connections list, it just start scrolling through all the options that are shown on the screen, without me having to touch anything or giving any sort of input.

Thank you in advance! Having problems with the start button and the wifi selector. :D

submitted by /u/Electric_Kettle
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Electric_Kettle, Oct 22, 2020

2. Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Oct 22, 2020
  3. problem with start button and wifi

i got a the free upgrade to windows 10 for my acer laptop...

before the upgrade, everything worked great...

the new upgrade went well - everything installed and worked fine too...

the past week - not so much, the start button no longer works, and it can't connect to my wifi...it can connect to my BTWifi-with-Fon no problem. I have checked connection to my bt fibre optic and wifi with other devices, they connect perfectly fine...

i've tried all the fixes, apart from the Shell as admin, as it won't allow me to right click over it and Run it as Admin...

so:

start button and search do not work

i can right click over the start button fine

regular wifi connection not working, but connects to BTWifi-withFon

regular wifi is used perfectly well on other devices

thanks...

iaindunford, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Zontir Win User

Having problems with the start button and the wifi selector.

Problems when sharing WiFi with the Virtual Adapter

For many years I have always shared Internet to my devices like phone and tablet with my PC's WiFi antenna through the Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, I only use it for that, since I have a cable connection, and I start the wifi with the command NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork previously having done the settings of NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="Wifi" key="password".

For my devices to connect it is necessary that the Virtual Adapter that is created with that command has access to the Internet, for this I have to share the Internet from my Ethernet adapter to the Virtual Wifi adapter.

For some time now (a couple of months) I've been experiencing problems when sharing the Internet through that medium. The problem is that when I start the WiFi my devices do not connect, they say "Getting IP address" and never connect.

I have found the solution and I have to do the following:

1. Disable the Virtual Adapter with the command netsh wlan stop hostednetwork.
    2. Remove the connection sharing from the Ethernet Adapter.
    3. Activate the Virtual Adapter with the command netsh wlan start hostednetwork.
    4. Adding connection sharing from the Ethernet Adapter to the Virtual Adapter again.

By doing these steps my devices can now be connected to the Wifi, but sometimes it doesn't work if I do these steps too quickly. I have noticed that if I do step 3 and 4 too quickly it does not work and I have to repeat the process but doing these last two steps more slowly, until the Virtual Adapter gets an IP address 192.168.137.1 from Internet Protocol version 4

Also this problem does not occur 100% of the time. Sometimes when I run the command to start the Wifi everything happens fine and my devices connect well but this only works after my PC has been on for at least 5 minutes (I haven't counted it). If I run the command as soon as my PC has turned on then it doesn't work anymore.

As I mentioned before this problem didn't occur before because I had configured a .bat file that ran as soon as the PC was turned on with the NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork command and everything worked fine.

Now, I would like to go back to before when everything was fine so that when my PC starts up the WiFi too and I don't have to do all this protocol all the time, but with a simple command everything is solved.

Could someone give me a hand with this?

Zontir, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Having problems with the start button and the wifi selector.

1. Having problems with the start button and the wifi selector. - Similar Threads - Having problems start

2. Having display selector issue when my windows 11 starts up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having display selector issue when my windows 11 starts up: Lately, I have an issue when i want to start my laptop with windows 11.I have a RTX 3060 and integrated intel graphic on my laptop.The problem is , every time I want to boot up my system the windows 11 detect another display like 2 display and select the other one which is...
  3. Having display selector issue when my windows 11 starts up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having display selector issue when my windows 11 starts up: Lately, I have an issue when i want to start my laptop with windows 11.I have a RTX 3060 and integrated intel graphic on my laptop.The problem is , every time I want to boot up my system the windows 11 detect another display like 2 display and select the other one which is...
  4. Have a problem with start button

in Windows 10 Customization
    Have a problem with start button: hi when i press the start button where is located the button to close the pc, something is wrong, you know when you press tab and is swiping trough buttons, that does to me, but i don't press , and it makes with the file explorer search bar too and when i open settings,...
  5. Windows 10 start button, wifi button, and bluetooth broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 start button, wifi button, and bluetooth broken: Okay so I've done countless research on how to fix this and I want to try to get an answer before I try factory resetting my laptop. Whenever I click the windows start button, it loads for a couple seconds then stops. Nothing pops up. Same with clicking on the wifi icon in...
  6. Problems with the start button.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with the start button.: Hey there, I'm having an issue with my pc where if i let it idle for more than 10 minutes or so, the start button stops working and if try to restart windows explorer it just crashes entirely. The pc also gets stuck if i try and shut it down or restart it after it's the...
  7. START BUTTON Problem

START BUTTON Problem: Hi, about one month ago after last updating my PC's START BUTTON does not work! I did anything the I searched about this problem but I could not fix it and also surprisingly RUN as administrator disappeared. how can I fix it? please help me. Thank you....
  8. Problems with Windows start button

Problems with Windows start button: Since last update I have not been able to use the Windows start button. It stays gray/black all the time. Only able to right click, but does not open with normal click. [ATTACH] I have tried all the normal things to restart windows, checked upgrades etc. Nothing has changed...
  9. problem start button

problem start button: I cant press the windows button on the bottom left and i cant click on the magnifying glass...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-start-button/7814b9ac-ac26-41ff-aaf1-6686855aa31b
  10. Problems with start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with start button: Just taken delivery of a new HP Pavilion x2 detachable 10-n000na and having trouble at times powering up.The power button hardly protrudes from the case and sometimes when I press the button it fails to respond.Is there any sequence for start up that I am failing to use. 27316