Windows 10: Having real trouble installing Windows, Can't create a partition....

Discus and support Having real trouble installing Windows, Can't create a partition.... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI, just hoping somebody here can help me out i have hit a wall. I got an old PC and decided to put my new 4TB HDD in it. I had a lot of trouble... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mattech66, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Mattech66 Win User

Having real trouble installing Windows, Can't create a partition....

HI, just hoping somebody here can help me out i have hit a wall.

I got an old PC and decided to put my new 4TB HDD in it. I had a lot of trouble installing windows because of 2.2TB limit thing. I gave up. I now have a more recent PC and I guess from the failed install I have broken my HDD From having Windows on it.

When I try to install it keeps saying Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

I have tried dong the whole diskpart thing so many times. Its says all good till 'active' then it tells me it can't find a MBR, from what i have read GPT doesn't have MBR so why is it asking for one to continue?

I have The repair boot disk from here. I can See the drive I can create, delete and change partitions in Minitool. I can create the drive and then open it in explorer and create a text file on it and save it there so drive can't be corrupt.

Please help I hope I haven't killed my drive.

Thanks Matt.

:)

Mattech66, Dec 30, 2018
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 30, 2018
  3. Vista Beta 2 Installed

Well first I defragged the drive, then go into partition magic and select "create a new partition" and make sure it is "after c:"

Then click the rest of the way through the menus, and in the lower left there is a list of pending activites and click "apply" and you will have to restart and before windows boots partition magic does its thing.

wazzledoozle, Dec 30, 2018
  4. Having real trouble installing Windows, Can't create a partition....

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Dec 30, 2018
Thema:

Having real trouble installing Windows, Can't create a partition....

1. Having real trouble installing Windows, Can't create a partition.... - Similar Threads - Having real trouble

2. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  3. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  4. Having trouble in creating shortcuts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having trouble in creating shortcuts: I think most people are having the same issue like me. I was about to create a shortcut but it says the following error message: -I mean it's not an error, but it's just that I don't understand. I don't know whether I did it correct or not. But I have done it correct, I swear...
  5. Having trouble in creating shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having trouble in creating shortcuts: I think most people are having the same issue like me. I was about to create a shortcut but it says the following error message: -I mean it's not an error, but it's just that I don't understand. I don't know whether I did it correct or not. But I have done it correct, I swear...
  6. Having trouble in creating shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Installing Windows among APFS partitions creates no Revovery partition

Installing Windows among APFS partitions creates no Revovery partition: Hi there, I installled Windows 20H2 (Beta Channel) on Unallocated Space in-between some APFS (Apple) partitions, but this did not create a Recovery partition for some reason (I checked AFTER the installation since I read for newer versions of Windows this is no longer...
  8. Having trouble installing Windows 10

Having trouble installing Windows 10: I have been trying to install Windows 10 the inactivated version with a USB boot drive. Before it has presented an error message at 0%, but this time it let me get to about 80% took about 24 hours on the 2nd stage creating installation files and then I check and get the same...
  9. Cannot create partition/install windows

Cannot create partition/install windows: Hi, guys, So i have the following problem: I wanted to install windows 10, proceeded with the instalation and cleared all partitions. Then an error happened whenvi tried to create a partition from the unallocated space: 0xac2a7c90 Tried to install windows on the...
  10. Create a partition before installing Windows 10?

Create a partition before installing Windows 10?: I always created a partition on a wiped drive before installing Windows Vista, 7, or 8/8.1, because otherwise an extra partition was created. Now I'm going to install Windows 10 on a wiped drive. Is it best to create a partition before installing or allow Windows to manage...