Windows 10: Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive.

Discus and support Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently bought two external HDD's to start backing up my files to photos, clips, etc. When I got them I formatted them both on NTFS from the W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Willem-Jan van Strien, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive.

I recently bought two external HDD's to start backing up my files to photos, clips, etc.

When I got them I formatted them both on NTFS from the W10 pc.

I got all my old drives and backing up everything to one of the new ones the other one is meant as a secondary backup on my W10 laptop. After two nights of this, I spent an evening sorting through files when the drive was hooked up to my W10 laptop. I then backed that one up to the second new drive.

The next evening I hooked it up to my W10 laptop and got an error.

'You don't currently have permission to access this folder'.

This happened on all the folders. I also got a second error.

'The Recycle Bin on E:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this device?'

As it was late I went upstairs and hooked the thing up to my W10 pc. I had the same problems there and looked for solutions.

I solved the first problem by adding 'everyone' to the drive properties' security tab and giving them 'full control'. I solved the second by running 'rd /s /q E:\$Recycle.bin' via Cmd.exe in administrator mode.

After that the drive worked again.

The following day I hooked it up to my W10 laptop and the accessing errors still there. 'Everyone' was still in the security tab with properties set to full control. Nothing I did on the laptop worked though.

The problems were gone on my W10 pc.

Another day later I hooked it up to my W7 laptop and couldn't access it there either. I hooked it up to the W10 pc and the problems were back there as well. I removed 'everyone' and put them back with full control. Then I got a new error when trying to open files:

'Error Applying Security

An error occurred while applying security information to:

<File location + file name>

Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.'

I ran antimalware software Malware Bytes' Antimalware and virus software Avast. Set both to scan the best they could and neither found a thing.

Do you have a solution?

:)

Willem-Jan van Strien, Jan 18, 2021

2. External HardDrive Problem (please help Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive. :( )

Try this:

1) Insert your flash/external drive into the USB port.

2) When you see the AutoPlay dialog box, click Cancel.

3) Open My Computer, right-click your flash drive icon, and select Properties.

4)In the Properties dialog box, select the AutoPlay tab.

5) Perform the following steps for each item in the Content Type drop-down list:
    > Select an item in the Content Type drop-down list.
    > Choose Select An Action To Perform in the Actions panel.
    > Select the Open Folder To View Files In Windows Explorer action.
    > Click the Apply button.
    > Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.

Now use the Safely Remove Hardware feature to remove your flash drive — wait a moment and plug it back in. You’ll see the AutoPlay progress appear momentarily, and then you should see Windows Explorer open to show the contents of the flash drive.

thoughtdisorder, Jan 18, 2021
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. yousowild Win User

Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive.

Video Tags on External Harddrive

I have come across a weird issue with video tags in Windows 10. Can't seem to find an answer for this.

To start I have many mp4 video files. I open folder right click on the file then go to properties. I click on details, then add Tags for the video and click ok. This works normally for few video files on my external hard drive, but occasionally I would
    come across files that cannot be tag. After adding tags, I click OK, system display status prompt (stays at 0% complete). If I closed out of status window, I get a glitch (task bar blank out of a second then reappear). The entire folder in which my video
    files were located disappear. Looks like Windows close the folder after the glitch.

At first I thought it was a video issue, however if the video is on my C: drive, it will be tagged ok. Then the problem seems to be pointing at the external harddrive. However, I've tested this process with 4-5 different harddrives and they all have same
    problem. I ran error checked on harddrive and it's ok. The video still plays fine. Is there some sort of bugs on Windows 10 that could have cause tagging on External Harddrive to failed? There are times when tagging works on external harddrive, so that's
    why it's hard to figure out where the issue is occurring at.

yousowild, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive.

1. Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive. - Similar Threads - Having problems accessing

2. Access to Iomega Ego encrypt external harddrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access to Iomega Ego encrypt external harddrive: Hi, I have an Iomega ego encrypt external hard disk and it no longer accepts my password, nor can I change it have no personal questions defined . The only way is via Secure Cryptographic Erase, however this will erase all my data. Is there a possibility to get my passwoord...
  3. Having a problem with accessing my harddrive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having a problem with accessing my harddrive: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/lenarizan [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kzdy2b/having_a_problem_with_accessing_my_harddrive/
  4. Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive: I have read everything on the internet but nothing seems to be offereing any solutions. So when I right click on the external drive i wish to eject, I don't have the eject option only format. I have gone down to the little arrow at the right bottom of the screen on my...
  5. Windows can't detect some external harddrive

Windows can't detect some external harddrive: Please help guys.. My win10 can't detect some external harddrive. - The harddrive is listed in disk drives at device manager, but not detected in windows explorer and disk management. - I've tried to reinstall or update the disk driver at device manager, but still not work....
  6. Windows can't detect some external harddrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows can't detect some external harddrive: Please help guys.. My win10 can't detect some external harddrive. - The harddrive is listed in disk drives at device manager, but not detected in windows explorer and disk management. - I've tried to reinstall or update the disk driver at device manager, but still not work....
  7. Mac external harddrives access.

Mac external harddrives access.: I am moving my video editing work from mac to windows. I have multiple external hard drives where all projects are stored and would like to be able to access them through my new window set up without having to reformat. is there away to do this. I am running window 10 pro....
  8. external harddrive

external harddrive: My computer recognizes the harddrive . States it is working properly but will not allow me to open it. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-harddrive/0aba405c-3d6d-4a2d-afb4-771e92c416ed
  9. external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external harddrive: HI ALL I NEED DESPERATE HELP IM PANICKING I DID SOMETHING WITH MY EXTERNAL HDD I TOOK SHARING OFF BY MISTAKE AND ITS LIKE MY LIFE ON THE HDD IT SAYS H; NOT ACCESSIBLE AND ACCESS DENIED HOW DO I FX IT...
  10. Accessing files on external harddrive when I reinstalled windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accessing files on external harddrive when I reinstalled windows: So windows 10 crashed (system thread exception not handled) and I had to reinstall windows, entered product key and it installed fine. I went to recover my files using my external drive using the comodo backup software (CBU file partition) but it won't restore unsure why....