Windows 10: Having trouble clean installing on an m.2 drive using split installer

Discus and support Having trouble clean installing on an m.2 drive using split installer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Alright, this one has been a trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've built a new gaming rig and can't get through the windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by xcadaverx, Dec 29, 2020.

1. xcadaverx Win User

Having trouble clean installing on an m.2 drive using split installer

Alright, this one has been a trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've built a new gaming rig and can't get through the windows 10 installation.

Setup:
    MSI Z490I Unify Motherboard
    Samsung EVO 970 PLUS 2TB M.2 NVMe
    Windows 10 latest ISO via MS website.

The only other computer I have is a mac, so I've followed the instructions to create a bootable USB drive here: How to Make a Windows 10 USB Using Your Mac - Build a Bootable ISO From Your Mac'''s Terminal

This guide ends up directing you to create a split install.wim file that ends up being install.swm and install2.swm. That all worked great, and I was able to boot into the windows installer. I was able to proceed through the installation and get to the point where it asks where I want to install. I select my 2TB m.2 drive, and it tells me "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one". I tried all of the solutions online relating to Diskpart such as manually creating the partitions as advised here (DISM - Split install.wim file), but had no luck, it still gave me the same error.

The furthest I was able to get was when I found a guide that told me to copy the source files from the _USB DRIVE_ to my _SSD DRIVE_, and then remove the USB drive and reboot to allow installation to continue from the m.2 drive. This worked and made its way all the way through the installation to the point where it asked me to reboot, but upon reboot, it kicked me back into the windows installation in an infinite loop. Is there anything else I can try? Any way to change a boot setting and prevent the infinite loop and continue on with the next part of the installation?

Cheers

:)

xcadaverx, Dec 29, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Wile E Win User
    Windows Vista Clean Installation

To do a clean install on a fresh hard drive with Vista on an upgrade disc, you have to follow certain steps. Buying a full install CD would've been easier, but using the upgrade disc only adds more time, so it's not that big of a deal.

Follow the instructions here to do a clean install with an upgrade disc: Perform a Clean Install with a Vista Upgrade Disc | Windows Vista Tips / Tricks /Tutorials | Vista Rewired

Wile E, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Arrakis9 Win User

trouble installing vista 64

Well, just got my new motharboad (P5Q-e) everything works perfect thank god! only im having issues installing vista on it.

it recognizes both of my hard drives and they were working perfectly fine before i installed my new mobo but now whenim trying to install vista it gets to the "select drive to install on" screen and none of my hard drives are listed.

they show up in the bios just fine and i've tried using other sata ports as well and all with the same result.

The drives were set to be a RAID 0 array on my old mobo could this be the issue?
    any thoughts or suggestions would be much appriciated

Arrakis9, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Having trouble clean installing on an m.2 drive using split installer - Similar Threads - Having trouble clean

2. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive: MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFICPU: 5600XRAM: 16GB 3600MHZ DDR4GPU: PALIT 980BIOS VERSION: E7C95AMS.2D0M.2 DRIVE: Crucial P3 Plus 2TBOTHER DRIVES: NoneI am currently trying to install windows on my MIL's new m.2 drive in her desktop PC.When in UEFI mode the bios does not...
  3. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive: MOBO: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFICPU: 5600XRAM: 16GB 3600MHZ DDR4GPU: PALIT 980BIOS VERSION: E7C95AMS.2D0M.2 DRIVE: Crucial P3 Plus 2TBOTHER DRIVES: NoneI am currently trying to install windows on my MIL's new m.2 drive in her desktop PC.When in UEFI mode the bios does not...
  4. Struggling to Install Windows to an M.2 Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problems installing an M.2 Gen4 drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems installing an M.2 Gen4 drive.: Hi Guys, I am having an issue with my MB and a M.2 Gen4 M.2. First my hardware list: MB: ROG STRIX B550-XE GAMING WiFi (BIOS 1805) GPU: AMD Radion RX 5700 XT CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X SSD: 2 x M.2 Gen3 Sabrent Rocket Q SCSi Disks 1TB SSD: ScanDisk Ultra 2 960Gig HDU: 3 This current...
  6. Installing Windows on a new PC using media creation and m.2 drive

Installing Windows on a new PC using media creation and m.2 drive: I will be building a new computer in the next few weeks. I've already used the Media Creation Tool, and is on a usb thumb drive. I'm ordering a Sabrent m.2 drive. My question is, can I boot into the thumb drive and install Windows 10 on the m.2 drive and make it my new...
  7. Clean install question and having trouble with something

Clean install question and having trouble with something: So i clean installed windows 10 and when i got to the desktop it asked me if i wanted to download armory crate and a lan driver that comes with it, i clciked no because i dont like armory crate becsuse it restarts my pc everytime After a few seconds on the desktop When i...
  8. Installed M.2 drive is not recognized

Installed M.2 drive is not recognized: I installed a new WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal SSD - SATA III -WDS100T2B0B onto a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170. Windows doesn't recognize the drive but it does appear in my BIOS. so far what troubleshooting I've done through the MB data...
  9. Windows 10 clean install on m.2 nvme

Windows 10 clean install on m.2 nvme: I would like to do a clean reinstall of windows 10. I have two m.2 nvme drives, one is for os and programs, secondary for games. Is it necessary to remove the secondary drive to do a clean install? Hardware related, if it is necessary to remove the secondary drive do I...
  10. M.2 Installation problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    M.2 Installation problem: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MadSkillzBruh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/haykn5/m2_installation_problem/