Windows 10: Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks

Discus and support Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC has two Gb Ethernet adapters and a WiFi adapter. One of the Ethernet ports is not connected to anything and the other is connected to the router... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Involute, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Involute Win User

Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks

My PC has two Gb Ethernet adapters and a WiFi adapter. One of the Ethernet ports is not connected to anything and the other is connected to the router via a Gb switch. The router provides three WiFi networks: KRPMD, KRPMD-5G, and a hidden guest network.

I've just replaced the router and noticed that the Windows Network Connections panel has labelled the Ethernet port I'm using as Ethernet 2 and KRPMD-5G (see below). The PC is currently connected to KRPMD-5G but the panel has labelled that KRPMD-5G 3. The taskbar network connections popup is labeling both the Ethernet and Wifi connections KRPMD-5G. The reason I'm not using the Ethernet connection is that the taskbar popup says there's no Internet on that, though I have another device connected to one of the router's Ethernet ports and I'm able to access it over the Internet, so there's Internet getting to the router's integrated switch. The PC shows up under the wireless clients, but not under the wired clients, in the router's control panel.

My questions are:

1. How can I enable my Ethernet connection so I can use it instead of the WIFi connection?

2. How can I change the name Windows is giving it on the Connections panel and the popup from the misleading KRPMD-5G to something more accurate?

Thanks for any tips.

Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks [​IMG]

:)

Involute, Apr 27, 2020

2. Unable to print to a network printer when connected to both wireless and wired networks

Hi Eileen,

• As far as i'm aware nothing has changed
    • i have only tried to send test pages to the network printer so im assuming so yes
    • wireless printer works fine when connected to both networks. However the wifi doesn't connect auto when an Ethernet connection is established this has to be manually connected.
    I have tried the following:

• updated the print driver
    • changed the network port it was plugged into
    • ran windows updates
    • configured with a static
    • changed the wifi and Ethernet priority
    I will run through the trouble shoot steps as suggest and come back to you.

FYI - he has a number of extenders dotted around, a collegue mentioned it could be a subnet issue?

thanks, Ben

BenDavies12333, Apr 27, 2020
  3. t_ski Win User
    Having some trouble with networking - advice needed

Yes, I did reset the router (several times actually). As for wires, the main PC connects to the internet through the DSL modem/router just fine, so the cable should not be faulty. As for the laptop, its connection is wireless, so there are no wires to check *Slap :slap:

However, your suggestion did give me an idea. I connected the laptop to the switch directly with a cable, and disabled the wireless connection. I'm getting an error that says "network is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network source... (yada-yada-yada)... The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

@ wiak - I have McAfee's firewall on the laptop, the same as it always was. I had it on the PC, too, but the subscription for the Internet Security Suite expired, so I uninstalled it, set up XP's standard firewall on the PC, and have installed Avast for anti-virus. I can try XP's firewall on the laptop, too.

t_ski, Apr 27, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Hello Denis, Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks :)

The command in step 2 of Option Two should show your wireless networks listed in priority order. Top of the list is higher.

Brink, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Having trouble distinguishing between wired and wireless networks - Similar Threads - Having trouble distinguishing

2. File Explorer Quick Access- distinguish between a network folder and a local folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Quick Access- distinguish between a network folder and a local folder?: Currently have multiple folders listed under File Explorer Quick Access. Some are local folders and others off a network drive.The problem is I can't differentiate between any of them because some have similar names. Ideally I could assign the network folders a different...
  3. Wired Network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wired Network: Centurylink4343 is connected to my IP Address When I log in so do they I see the link go up the side of my house To a house address that dose not exist ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/wired-network/555bb853-f7fb-4a7b-9565-1a1ae230beb2
  4. Windows Hello cannot distinguish between identical twins.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello cannot distinguish between identical twins.: Hello, I got a new computer recently and it came with a feature I have never had on a laptop before, and this feature is windows hello. I have had computers in the past, some which had finger print sensors, while most of the others had the standard password and pin number...
  5. Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless

Losing Network Shares when switching between wired and wireless: Hoping someone out there has experienced and resolved this or has a clue for me to try. Thanks all and all responses appreciated. BACKGROUND: Some background first so as to avoid confusion. I have been researching a fix for a long time and have tried a lot! I am also a...
  6. wireless network connectivity trouble

wireless network connectivity trouble: hi everyone I am a windows insider as well as a technology geek and need wifi for everything. but recently as I updated to 1909 my computer is not showing any available network when other devices does it. even in adapter options and in the device manager the wireless network...
  7. wired to wireless connect

wired to wireless connect: currently I have two ISPs. one that I've connected to "internet" via ethernet wire. I have a second ISP that I can connect to wirelessly. How do I change from the current wired connection to the wireless connection, Win 10 64....
  8. Sharing between wired/wireless network at home

Sharing between wired/wireless network at home: Hey all, I've done a lot of searching for this but can't seem to find an answer (and maybe there isn't one!), but I am trying to have my new laptop (windows 10) appear in the Network tab on my desktop (also windows 10). The issue is my desktop is plugged in using ethernet...
  9. Wired Network

Wired Network: Hi SOrry if this has been asked before but I want to delete my Network and start a fresh. Can't for the life of me find how to do this. Any help or tips? 38180
  10. How to setup a wired network between routers

How to setup a wired network between routers: Hi there I am trying to set up a wired network with the following: Main router linked to internet = Asus DSL N66U with IP set to 192.168.1.1 (network 1) I have then wired a link to the following Tenda wireless N300 Router IP 192.168.1.1 (network 2) I was not able to add...