Windows 10: Having trouble getting XP Network to work in Win 10 VM

Discus and support Having trouble getting XP Network to work in Win 10 VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi I have searched for this problem quite extensively and came accross the Ten Forums Tutorial for getting XP/Vista to communicate with the host Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by banger, May 28, 2020.

1. banger Win User

Having trouble getting XP Network to work in Win 10 VM

Hi I have searched for this problem quite extensively and came accross the Ten Forums Tutorial for getting XP/Vista to communicate with the host Win 10 machine by using "Legacy Network Adaptor" which doesn't throw any errors up but browsers in XP VM cant communicate with the router which is a problem but not major. The main thing I want to do is to be able to share files between the guest and host. I have my other Win 10 machines on the LAN able to share files between computers but I am struggling with guest and host. Help? V1909 and XP SP3

:)

banger, May 28, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

I've just tried and that is true, my XP VM can't use the SCSI drives. However, you can add a second drive to either of the IDE controllers. That does work.

Having trouble getting XP Network to work in Win 10 VM [​IMG]

3. Bree Win User

Sounds like the virtual switch is not working. Do you have any other VMs? A Win10 one perhaps? Does the virtual switch work for them?

I'd start by checking the XP VM has obtained an IP address, mine get's its IP address by DHCP from my router. In the VM open a command prompt and see what IPCONFIG says. This is what I see. The default gateway is my router's IP address. I'm using an external switch connected to my host's wifi adapter.

4. banger Win User

Only trouble is my Network Control Panel is full of defunct adapters and no way to remove them as the delete is greyed out and device manager only shows numbers so I dont know which is the working vethernet.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Worked it out. Clicked on adapter properties and it gives the device manager number at the top so I could then uninstall from device manager, phew.

banger, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Having trouble getting XP Network to work in Win 10 VM - Similar Threads - Having trouble getting

2. Having troubles getting Roblox to work with g

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having troubles getting Roblox to work with g: ames to download it on the laptop, HP windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/having-troubles-getting-roblox-to-work-with-g/a2e531a4-9b90-4e91-8549-84bbea676f39
  3. How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?: O.K. it's old hat, but I need XP. When the dialogue appears, it won't connect with the Internet. So I try the telephone bit. It only comes up with Win 10.I've done this procedure with every pc that I put XP on as a virtual. It's installed from a disk [not downloaded from the...
  4. How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I Activate Win XP on VM Workstation?: O.K. it's old hat, but I need XP. When the dialogue appears, it won't connect with the Internet. So I try the telephone bit. It only comes up with Win 10.I've done this procedure with every pc that I put XP on as a virtual. It's installed from a disk [not downloaded from the...
  5. How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to convert actual XP PC with apps and files into XP VM on Win 10?: My old XP machine (still running) has apps and files going back to 2008, including 10GB of emails, and I'd like to convert it into a Virtual Machine on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit (currently version 1909). So the XP will always be there when I need to get something, but would no...
  6. Having trouble getting DiagTrack to work again

in Windows 10 Support
    Having trouble getting DiagTrack to work again: Yes, this is an unconventional problem since I'm actually trying to re-enable diagnostics/Customer Experience Improvement Program. When I first disabled DiagTrack (the Event Trace Session in Performance Monitor, and the service) it was mostly because it was writing non-stop...
  7. XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    XP VM with Hyper V on Win 10 and network connectivity: Hi Folks, I am running Hyper V on a windows 10 machine. I am trying to run an XP virtual machine within Hyper V. All is running but the network has limited or no connectivity, so i cannot connect to my local network or map the drive to the server. I have the Network adapter...
  8. Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 networking to an XP computer has changed: For many years I've had a successful wired network between 2 Win 10 computers and a XP computer. Everything was working just fine. 2.5 years ago I had a lightening strike take out the XP's network card and I happened to have a Netgear wireless USB that I used instead in my XP...
  9. Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 to Win XP Networking Issue: I have 3 computers. Computer #1 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1803 - Desktop Computer #2 - WIN 10 PRO X64 - Version 1809 - Laptop Computer #3 - WIN XP - Laptop The problem I am having is as follows. Computer #1 can see all 3 Computers on the network and connect to them....
  10. File sharing having trouble mixed XP, XP virtual, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    File sharing having trouble mixed XP, XP virtual, and Windows 10: I have a Hyper-V virtual instance of Windows XP running under Windows 10. The network share from the Windows 10 side is failing to be usable under the XP instance due to a "you lack permission to access". I have a few other XP machines on the network that are able to...