Windows 10: Having trouble renaming my username

Discus and support Having trouble renaming my username in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, I recently cloned my old hard drive to a new SSD and everything seems to have worked out ok, except for some reason my user profile folder was... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by razelfragel, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Having trouble renaming my username

Hi, I recently cloned my old hard drive to a new SSD and everything seems to have worked out ok, except for some reason my user profile folder was changed. The original name of my user profile folder was my first name "Patric" (spelled without a "k") but after the cloning all the files on my C: drive were under a folder named "patri". The name on my WIndows log-in screen is still the same (my first and last name).

After searching online I used a method to change my user profile folder in C: back to my original name (I created another administrator account, logged in, renamed my user profile folder, and edited my registry under the correct ProfileImagePath). I managed to successfully rename my user profile folder, but I noticed when I rebooted and logged in some of my customized desktop icons had reverted back to the default Windows folder icon. Also apps like Spotify and f.lux weren't automatically starting up after reboot (although I fixed this after finagling with Spotify's settings and reinstalling f.lux). But most importantly, when I tried to use command prompt to verify my computer's username with the command "echo %username%", it still gives me my old username "patri"

Having trouble renaming my username [​IMG]

I'm currently trying to connect my android to my C: drive and I'd really like to just get this fixed before I do so.

:)

razelfragel, Dec 18, 2019

2. Having trouble renaming files in windows 10.

Hi Varin,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

As you are unable to rename the files I understand the inconvenience. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Is this issue confined to any particular file in any specific folder/ drive?

Try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot the computer to Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs or not. In Safe Mode computer starts with minimal set of drivers and files.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2: I suggest you to perform
    Clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Step 3: I suggest you to boot the device to Normal mode and check if the issue persists.

Follow the below steps to place the computer in normal mode:

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run
      command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on
      Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Trouble renaming photos and files

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

- Are you using Photo app to rename the photos?

- Did you try renaming the photos directly from File explorer?

- Do you get any message?

I suggest you to rename photos from File Explorer and check if it helps:

Follow the steps to rename photo from File Explorer:

1. Right click on the start menu and select File Explorer.

2. Click on pictures present on the left side of the page.

3. Right on the picture you want to rename and select the option rename.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, Dec 18, 2019
  4. amd5750m Win User

Having trouble renaming my username

rename inf

I have a 7670m 1gb driver crimson legacy, how to rename my 7670m (which in driver detects as 7600m) to 8670m?

I am something new in this I would appreciate it if you would give me all the steps since I am very interested

I use win 7

his is what I try to do but not rename these files

Does someone have a step for newbies?

this is more or less the idea in the link

16.101.X [Pre-GCN driver pack]

amd5750m, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

Having trouble renaming my username

1. Having trouble renaming my username - Similar Threads - Having trouble renaming

2. Trouble renaming a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble renaming a folder: When I try to slow click to rename a folder, nothing happens. Additionally, when I right click the folder and select "Rename", nothing happens either the naming box remains unhighlighted and I cannot type anything. The only thing that I have been able to that does work, is...
  3. Trouble renaming a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble renaming a folder: When I try to slow click to rename a folder, nothing happens. Additionally, when I right click the folder and select "Rename", nothing happens either the naming box remains unhighlighted and I cannot type anything. The only thing that I have been able to that does work, is...
  4. Having minor issues after renaming pc account user username.

Having minor issues after renaming pc account user username.: So i followed a guide on google to rename my main account username because when i setup pc my mail is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and microsoft literally used insan as the username which i never wanted so i changed the ProfileImagePath regedit to the new...
  5. how to rename this username

how to rename this username: hello i want to know how i rename my admin directory nameasus, i had already tried rename this pc and something else also.also tell me how to remove these also default and public....
  6. how to rename this username

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to rename this username: hello i want to know how i rename my admin directory nameasus, i had already tried rename this pc and something else also.also tell me how to remove these also default and public....
  7. how to rename this username

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. No admin privileges after renaming username

in Windows 10 Customization
    No admin privileges after renaming username: Renamed my user account via netplwiz and now I have lost admin privileges on my only admin account. Can only select no when "Do you want this app to make changes to your device" pops up. Is there any way to undo it?Edit: I wasn't able to reply for some reason so I edited my...
  9. No admin privileges after renaming username

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No admin privileges after renaming username: Renamed my user account via netplwiz and now I have lost admin privileges on my only admin account. Can only select no when "Do you want this app to make changes to your device" pops up. Is there any way to undo it?Edit: I wasn't able to reply for some reason so I edited my...
  10. Rename Users\Username?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Rename Users\Username?: When I installed Win10 Home and was prompted for a name at one point I got as far as 'conni' and before I could type the 'e' the word was accepted. This is not the name that shows up on the Network for the machine-which is correct as to what I changed in System. This is...