Windows 10: Having trouble transferring my Windows 10 Professional Product Key to my New computer!

Discus and support Having trouble transferring my Windows 10 Professional Product Key to my New computer! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, so I have spend the last few hours plugging away at the process with not success. I have done a decent amount of reading online and am not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Caleb Wismer, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Having trouble transferring my Windows 10 Professional Product Key to my New computer!

Hello, so I have spend the last few hours plugging away at the process with not success. I have done a decent amount of reading online and am not finding very man similar cases to the issue I am having. So first off I started by checking to ensure that my copy of Windows Professional was the retail version not an OEM tag. This checked out. Next I went to the command prompt and used run as admin and typed - [COLOR=rgba83, 84, 84, 1]slmgr /upk “activation id” and got the pop up "Uninstalled product key successfully". When I go back into Activation on the same computer it still says "Windows is active with a digital license". So I tried running the command again slmgr /upk and I get the pop up "Error: product key not found"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba83, 84, 84, 1]I have tried activating and deactivate the key multiple time, turning off an on both my computers and using the license on my new computer with no success. How do I get this licenses off this computer. Anyone out there with more experience able to give a possible solution I am stumped.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba83, 84, 84, 1]Thanks in advance. = [/COLOR]

:)

Caleb Wismer, Apr 14, 2021

2. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the
    key from my computer for me. I had bought a Dell Inspiron 15 3200 that had Windows 10 pre-installed. I've heard that you can't transfer a key from a computer that had Windows 10 pre-installed on it and that you can only transfer one that was a retail key.
    Will I be able to transfer it to my new computer if I uninstall it from my laptop, or do I have to purchase a new key?

a gtx 2080, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Using Windows 10 Professional Product key to Windows 8.1 Professional

You have to buy windows 8.1 Pro.

The Windows 10 key is only for Windows 10.

There is Downgrade Rights but you don't qualify for it as you bought Windows 10 Pro yourself and they only apply to OEM preinstalled Windows 10 OEM licenses (Dell, HP, etc)

Here is the information about Downgrade rights. It is an old Microsoft link which they removed but the information still apples>

Device Partner Center

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

[table][tr][td]Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7 Professional
    [/td][td]Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business
    [/td][td]Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:
    • Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version,
    as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software

To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Microsoft no longer sells any edition of Windows 8.1.

try amazon.com, etc.

Warning:

You do not buy a Product Key by itself, as they are normally stolen/pirated, Volume Licenses which are not for private use, or MSDN keys which are not to be sold by the original subscription holder.

Make sure that you buy the complete sealed package (DVD, license)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Shop.aspx

Read Section: Beware of Product Keys sold separately.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Bill Smithers, Apr 14, 2021
  4. Having trouble transferring my Windows 10 Professional Product Key to my New computer!

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

What you heard is correct.

If the Laptop/Computer came with the Windows Operating System preinstalled (Dell, HP, Acer, etc) , that Product Key that came with the Laptop/Computer is for the preinstalled OEM License and is non-transferable.

The OEM License/Product Key (preinstalled Operating Systems on Dell, HP, etc machines) is tied to the first machine it is installed on and dies when that machine dies.

The above rule also applies to OEM System Builders Licenses.

Retail Operating System License, that you buy and install yourself, are allowed to be transferred to another machine.

But Retail Licenses can also only be installed on one machine at any particular time.

Bill Smithers, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Having trouble transferring my Windows 10 Professional Product Key to my New computer!

1. Having trouble transferring my Windows 10 Professional Product Key to my New computer! - Similar Threads - Having trouble transferring

2. Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Retrieve Windows 10 Professional product key for a new PC: Hi all, Recently my old PC which had Win 10 Pro on it died. The hard drive died. I am building a new PC and I would like to reuse the Win 10 Pro license that I had. Is there a way to retrieve the key so that I can use Win 10 again for my new PC? Kind regards...
  3. New computer and transferring product keys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New computer and transferring product keys: [ATTACH] (English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes) Hi everyone! I have a few questions about Product Keys and licensing on Windows. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that comes with a linux distro instead of windows, I don't actually use linux so I'm going...
  4. im having trouble with my new computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    im having trouble with my new computer: so i just bought this computer from facebook ,a hp stream laptop ,but ever since i got it yesterday i cant create or delete an account , to create an account i need to delete files but i cant delete files with out turning off uac but to turn off uac i cant cause its blocked...
  5. Transferring product keys to new computers

Transferring product keys to new computers: I have a windows 7 key from a laptop and a windows 10 key from a refurbished desktop. I was wondering if I could transfer the keys to two new desktops and would I be able to activate windows 10 with them? If it is possible how would I do so? Thank You [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Transfer Windows 10 product key to another computer

Transfer Windows 10 product key to another computer: Mother board of my laptop is not working. I want to buy a new laptop without OS and want to transfer my existing Windows 10 product code to that laptop. The problem is, I cannot reach the product code as the computer is not working. I can remove the HDD, connect it as an...
  7. Windows 10 transfer Product Key to new user.

Windows 10 transfer Product Key to new user.: I recently purchased a PC OEM version from Dell. I have an older computer that I am gifting to my stepdaughter. This computer was home built so I did purchase a product key for it. The problems I am facing are: 1. Can I reformat and user her email address to activate it? 2....
  8. Having some trouble about my product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Having some trouble about my product key: Hi, my laptop need some activation and when I keep on clicking the product key to change it, I asked my uncle but he already throw the box and in the back of my laptop some of the information is already faded. How will I know my product key in this situation?...
  9. Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer

Transferring a Windows 10 Product Key to a new computer: Hi, I'm currently building a gaming desktop, and I don't want to have to buy a new Windows 10 product key as they are quite expensive. I'm wondering if I can transfer the key from my current laptop. I've used a software called ProduKey which found the key from my computer for...
  10. product key on my new computer with windows 10 pro?

product key on my new computer with windows 10 pro?: how do I find the product key on my new computer with windows 10 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-on-my-new-computer-with-windows-10-pro/64b5eb08-3d70-44aa-9c55-71eb20180b4a"