Windows 10: Having trouble with MBR2GPT Tool

Discus and support Having trouble with MBR2GPT Tool in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I just built a new machine this week and I installed a 1TB SSD and 3TB 3.5" drive. I installed Windows 10 on the SSD intending to use the 3TB for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mrnotoriousman, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Having trouble with MBR2GPT Tool

So I just built a new machine this week and I installed a 1TB SSD and 3TB 3.5" drive. I installed Windows 10 on the SSD intending to use the 3TB for storage and backups. Went to Disk management and then found out that the drive was MBR by default I guess. After learning about needing to convert the drive to GPT, I've been trying to figure out how to convert but I keep getting error messages:

C:\Windows\system32>mbr2gpt.exe /validate /disk:0 /allowfullos

MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 0

MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk

MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes

Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 0

Went to diskpart and tried:

DISKPART> convert gpt

Virtual Disk Service error:

The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMs and DVDs are examples of disks that are not convertable.

DISKPART> clean

Virtual Disk Service error:

Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.

Here are screens for further reference:

https://imgur.com/a/h1BkjPU

I found this as well in my searches, but wasn't really sure about using the command for a different disk:

https://medium.com/@revanmj/one-way-to-fix-mbr2gpt-cannot-find-os-partition-33631dfd9f5e

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/mrnotoriousman
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mrnotoriousman, Oct 29, 2019

2. MBR2GPT Validate failed

Sir,

I appreciate your help but

It requires pro edition for the function,the conversion is not possible on the free edition.Is there any way to use the system provided
    mbr2gpt tool and I wish to know why the
    validation failed?

Harikrishnan.S, Oct 29, 2019
  3. MBR2GPT

I also think so.

Windows upgrade 1903 automatically created a 450 mb recovery partition which I had to delete as mbr2gpt don't work with more than 3 primary partition.

So, do I need to create a recovery partition now to get mbr2gpt work?

I have already tried what you told. It says something like "can't enable win re service "

HarshitChaudharyGurjar, Oct 29, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Having trouble with MBR2GPT Tool

I'm having trouble with Macrium Reflect tutorial.

Strongly suggest you watch some youtube videos on Macrium and follow them step by step, making sure they are current.

Also make sure you have the manual to hand, and use the extensive help provided with the product.

dalchina, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Having trouble with MBR2GPT Tool

1. Having trouble with MBR2GPT Tool - Similar Threads - Having trouble MBR2GPT

2. MBR2GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR2GPT: Hi y'all,I just got new GPU and wanna enable Rebar and I need drives to be GPT and MBR2GPT tool isn't working and yes I tried reinstalling windows didn't work.Here is error:MBR2GPT: Attempting to validate disk 2MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of diskMBR2GPT: Validating layout,...
  3. Mbr2gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mbr2gpt: Hello Microsoft fraternity. I am trying to convert my disk from mbr to gpt so that I can change from legacy to UEFI. But I have only one disk that contains current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volumes which cannot be deleted using cmd. How do I proceed and...
  4. Mbr2gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mbr2gpt: Hello Microsoft fraternity. I am trying to convert my disk from mbr to gpt so that I can change from legacy to UEFI. But I have only one disk that contains current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volumes which cannot be deleted using cmd. How do I proceed and...
  5. mbr2gpt

mbr2gpt: Ho bisogno di usare mbr2gpt per cambiare il formato di partizione del disco C del mio computer da MBR a GPT per potere completare i requisiti per aggiornare Windows 10 che ho installato sul disco a Windows 11. Eseguo il comando mbr2gpt/validate/disk:0/allowFullOS per...
  6. mbr2gpt

mbr2gpt: Ho bisogno di usare mbr2gpt per cambiare il formato di partizione del disco C del mio computer da MBR a GPT per potere completare i requisiti per aggiornare Windows 10 che ho installato sul disco a Windows 11. Eseguo il comando mbr2gpt/validate/disk:0/allowFullOS per...
  7. Mbr2Gpt tool!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mbr2Gpt tool!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I've both boot options Legacy and UEFI available but when I change to UEFI mode it doesn't found any bootable drive. I think because my disk is MBR but it also doesn't boot USB. Anyways I want to convert disk from MBR to GPT so will MBR2GPT convert...
  8. Mbr2Gpt tool!

Mbr2Gpt tool!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I've both boot options Legacy and UEFI available but when I change to UEFI mode it doesn't found any bootable drive. I think because my disk is MBR but it also doesn't boot USB. Anyways I want to convert disk from MBR to GPT so will MBR2GPT convert...
  9. Mbr2Gpt tool!

10. mbr2gpt

mbr2gpt: MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 0 MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes Disk layout validation failed for disk 0 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mbr2gpt/45b2d3b6-5ffa-4b62-a169-329d30fdccfa

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mbr2gpt fail disk sector size