Windows 10: Having troubles with relocating users folders.

Discus and support Having troubles with relocating users folders. in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to follow the 'Move Users Folders to another location' (Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials) tutorial... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by poptart992000, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Having troubles with relocating users folders.

Hello,

I am trying to follow the 'Move Users Folders to another location' (Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials)
    tutorial and I cannot get my Windows system to move the folders.

I watched the Video, very helpful, and noticed a mention of an "all important" Windows install file "windows.vim" file ... but I could not find that file on my system. This is about 3:27 into the video.

I had to recently use the "Media Creation Tool" to re-install Windows 10 as all but one of my user accounts failed to login. So I thought I would move all my account to another drive, just in case my primary drive is failing

Since I am running Windows 10 1803, 17134.345; I read that I did not have to de-activate the other users, so I did not.

When I run the sysprep command:
    "%windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot /unattend:d:\relocate.xml"

My system reboots and I go through the screens shown in the tutorial. I create a dummy account and I think all the rest. When I log into that account, the user folders are all still pointing to "C:\Users". All the other users' folders are also still pointing to "C:\Users" as well. I can not tell if the 'unattend' file is actually being used or if there is some error happening.

Is there a log file someplace that records the install/sysprep results or progress.

Below is my sysprep unattended file: [I changed to 'x86' and Profiles to "D:\Users", this was just copied from the tenForums web site.] I did notice that in the video, there is an extra line "cpi" and some reference to Windows 10 "Edition", but that line seemed optional according to another posting on this forum.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
    <settings pass="oobeSystem">
    <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <FolderLocations>
    <ProfilesDirectory>D:\Users</ProfilesDirectory>
    </FolderLocations>
    </component>
    </settings>
    </unattend>

I hope there's not too much information here, I was trying to show everything all at once. (I think I can manually move the folders by using the "location" tab on the properties pages, but I was hoping that this sysprep would work.)

Thanks for any advice.

:)

poptart992000, Oct 30, 2018

2. Relocate user folders

Running Windows 10. I have 4 users using this desktop. I would like to relocate the user document folders to another drive. I've tried to put a folder named J:\Users\Steve to an external drive but it comes up J:\Documents. I would like 4 folders named
    J:\Users\Steve, J:\User\Jane, J:\Users\Dale and J:\Users\Joe. How can this be accomplished. Thanks for any suggestions.

Pappacracker, Oct 30, 2018
  3. Folder security after relocating user folders

Hello,

I have a C-drive (system) and a D-drive (data).

After I install Windows 10, I move user folders to my D-drive by relocating the Documents, Pictures, Videos etc. folders within Properties|Location. This seems to be an official function within Windows.

However, by using this Windows feature the security is inherited from the D-drive, so the security is wrong after the folder move. This results in all users receiving access to all folders.

Questions:

• is there an official Windows feature for moving the complete User-folder to the D-drive with a single action (instead of moving all subfolders?
    • Is there a way to keep the original security settings for the User-folders instead of inheriting them from the D-drive?

Thanks in advance,

SJW

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy]

Sjoerd-Jaap Westra, Oct 30, 2018
  4. de123 Win User

Having troubles with relocating users folders.

Windows 10 - Relocate the Users folder Part 2 -Creating Account Issue

I decided to leave your suggestion as a last resort (before re-installation). I have my AppData folder ~ 15 GB and also my user profile is placed on the bad sectors of the drive. It took me about 5 mins to login into my desktop with a lot of disk grinding. Anyway, I tried Clonezilla in a "rescue" mode (becasue of unreadable sectors) to clone my drive. I replaced the drive with the clone and It somehow worked quite well. I am able to login and within 2 secs I get usable desktop; even Cortana suddenly came alive again and my menu shows up full. I may still have to fix some minor glitches in my profile or AppData. But everything works well and my user accounts and Program Files (that allow themselves to be installed in any locations) sit happily on the second drive.
    Thank you Kari

de123, Oct 30, 2018
Thema:

Having troubles with relocating users folders.

1. Having troubles with relocating users folders. - Similar Threads - Having troubles relocating

2. Relocation of Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  3. Relocation of Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Relocation of Folders: Can I change the location of folders, say Photos, from SSD drive to internal hard drive? From C drive to D drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/relocation-of-folders/60ff9525-9da6-4468-bba8-bdc0ab627629
  4. Relocating User data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Relocating User data: So I know we can relocate default user data either during installation or later on. My question is, (and this is for user data only and not other system folders), what happens when you do a reinstall? My setup: C: for windows and software, D: for regular data and games, and...
  5. Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocating User Desktop Folder Problem: I need help correcting a problem I created with the relocation of my user Desktop folder. I am new to Windows 10, and I have limited experience with Windows7. System: Lenovo M725s Windows 10 Pro, 1909 Build 18363.815 AMD Ryzen 5 Pro CPU 8 GB memory C: SSD, D: hard file I...
  6. Having troubles with relocating users folders.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Having troubles with relocating users folders.: Hello, I am trying to follow the 'Move Users Folders to another location' (Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials) tutorial and I cannot get my Windows system to move the folders. I watched the Video, very helpful, and noticed a mention of an "all...
  7. Relocating Users Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Relocating Users Folder: Does the Users folder have to be relocated to an empty drive on an existing win 10 installation, or is any local drive ok? 39109
  8. Issues with relocated Users folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Issues with relocated Users folder: Hi everybody, I recently performed a clean install of Win 10, following the instruction of this Forum to relocate the users folder on another drive. Now, I'm having troubles with Microsoft Edge browser, and I'd like to restore it. I've followed the instrucions of this and...
  9. November Update on a machine with relocated Users folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    November Update on a machine with relocated Users folder: Anyone tried to install the November Update on a machine with relocated 'Users' folder (per this guide)? Does it install? Or is it necessary to bring 'Users' back to C: before installing this update? 29778
  10. Relocate folder locations

in Windows 10 Support
    Relocate folder locations: I got myself into this mess. Please pleaseee, if anyone could help me solving it I'd be really grateful since it's driving me mad. Initially I wanted to relocate my main folders such as Documents/Music/Downloads etc. into new location. However, I somehow managed to combine...