Windows 10: having two pagefile.sys on separate drives

Discus and support having two pagefile.sys on separate drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two pagefile.sys, first one on my 250GB SSD and second one on my 2TB HDD, I use HDD for games and storing video materials, is it good to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ashramnavivi, Jun 22, 2020.

1. having two pagefile.sys on separate drives

I have two pagefile.sys, first one on my 250GB SSD and second one on my 2TB HDD, I use HDD for games and storing video materials, is it good to have two pagefile.sys?

:)

ashramnavivi, Jun 22, 2020

2. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation?

WilliamHall9, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Riemann Win User

having two pagefile.sys on separate drives

2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks

Thank you for your reply, CountMike.
    I relocated some of the folders from the system disk C (Profile Directory, AppData, etc.) to disk D right after I had installed the latter. Also had the pagefile allocated on it by choice. Here's how it looked like

having two pagefile.sys on separate drives [​IMG]

The mystery though is how the second pagefile has come around because I definitely didn't create it.
    Moreover, it's not even listed on disk E as shown in the image above. Anyway, I have it deleted, and set pagefile size to the recommended 4978 MB. No problems this far.

One more thing. After updating to the newer version of Win 10 (1709) the MSI RAMdisk has been installed as shown in the image below (I have 32GB (4x8GB Avexir Raiden DDR4) of installed RAM, and it is plenty for what I do on my PC. RAM usage rarely goes above 20%, average rate is 7-12%)

having two pagefile.sys on separate drives [​IMG]

Question: With enough DDR RAM do I need this RAMDisk?

Thanks again.

Riemann, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

having two pagefile.sys on separate drives

1. having two pagefile.sys on separate drives - Similar Threads - having pagefile sys

2. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  3. Two separate users on two different drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two separate users on two different drives: Hello, I have a question about separating user data on windows. Is there a way to allow a member of my family to store all of their user data, downloads, documents, etc. onto a separate drive? Ideally, everything of theirs would be located on this second drive because they...
  4. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  5. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pagefile sys: hi my pagefile sys went up suddenly to 11 gb while was playing game and after like end match in game it went back to normal how it was before it maked first time i think is it normal...
  6. pagefile sys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What's the best way to have two separate drive spaces on the same HDD for two users?: I've got a 2TB HDD (additional storage, not the main SSD where the windows install is) - an admin user and a standard user. I want the admin obv to have access to everything, but the standard user to have their own storage on a portion of the additional HDD but not to be able...
  8. C: pagefile .sys Degrag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: pagefile .sys Degrag: How do I defrag my C: pagefile .sys my O&O Degrag Prof states that the files is 32G with a 97.71 degree of relative fragmentation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-pagefile-sys-degrag/1435a24e-30c1-43a8-9587-dbbac2c1216e"
  9. Having two separate wallpaper slideshows for two seperate monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Having two separate wallpaper slideshows for two seperate monitors: Hey guys, So what Im trying to do is get two different slideshows to run on my wallpapers from two different areas. Since one of my monitors is 1080p, and the other one is 1200p I want to have two different wallpaper slideshows running from two different locations, where...
  10. 2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks

in Windows 10 Support
    2 instances of the pagefile on separate disks: HI there! Win 10 Home Version 1709 OS Build 16299.125 My desktop PC has 3 internal disks: (C) 250GB SSD, (D) 894GB SSD and (E) 3TB HDD. There is a pagefile on disk D and another one on disk E, which is just a storage disk. Both files have the exact same size of...