Windows 10: hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function. 0x1

Discus and support hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function. 0x1 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Docker build is failing on Windows 10. OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Raj-O, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Raj-O Win User

hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function. 0x1

Docker build is failing on Windows 10.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

OS Version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

docker build .
    Sending build context to Docker daemon 3.248GB
    Step 1/16 : FROM mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:ltsc2019
    ---> fdf6432edbdc
    Step 2/16 : LABEL maintainer *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
    ---> Running in f8b0c59188bf
    hcsshim:hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function. 0x1 :prepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function. 0x1

In many forum, it says it could be due to vmcompute.dll or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cbfs4.sys

I don't have cbfs4.sys in my system. Any suggestion?

:)

Raj-O, Apr 23, 2020
  2. trickson Win User

Bigger fail?

I voted for BD . The fact that AMD has been very secretive , All the delays and a WR OC to me is nothing but a FAIL to me , Lots of fluff no substance . The rest of the list is not as much to me as this is . Why is SB on there ? That is no were near a fail and as for the political stuff goes WE ALL KNOW THEY HAVE FAILED ! The last one on the list I do not even know what that is .

trickson, Apr 23, 2020
  3. jtlindsey Win User
    Windows Backup failed with error 0x807800C5 incorrect function

This is the same error number as similar post, but not the same details

hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function. 0x1 g54mz.png

This is on a Windows 10 machine trying to backup to a FreeNas network location. Part of the backup completes (user files) but fails at the image backup with incorrect function.

Has anybody found a way to correct this problem in windows 10?

jtlindsey, Apr 23, 2020
  4. chideock Win User

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

1. hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function. 0x1 - Similar Threads - hcsshim PrepareLayer failed

2. Win11 taskbar failed to function

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 taskbar failed to function: Windows 11 came from upgrade couple of months ago got a problem where the taskbar stops working. Cant click at all. Buttons like apps, search and startmenu are not all working. Even the icons in the system tray are not usable at all therefore I cant connect to my Bluetooth...
  3. Win11 taskbar failed to function

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win11 taskbar failed to function: Windows 11 came from upgrade couple of months ago got a problem where the taskbar stops working. Cant click at all. Buttons like apps, search and startmenu are not all working. Even the icons in the system tray are not usable at all therefore I cant connect to my Bluetooth...
  4. SSDT Setup Failed incorrect Function 0X80070001

SSDT Setup Failed incorrect Function 0X80070001: HI Team,while installing SSDT 2017 , I am facing an issue "Setup Failed incorrect Function 0X80070001" in Windows 10 . Please can any one suggest how to fix this issue and let me know if any further information required.Please find the attached screenshot....
  5. SSDT Setup Failed incorrect Function 0X80070001

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSDT Setup Failed incorrect Function 0X80070001: HI Team,while installing SSDT 2017 , I am facing an issue "Setup Failed incorrect Function 0X80070001" in Windows 10 . Please can any one suggest how to fix this issue and let me know if any further information required.Please find the attached screenshot....
  6. Most computer functions failing ?

Most computer functions failing ?: I do not know how to explain this question, But I tried restarting my file explorer and the task bar has frozen, I cannot interact with it at all. All the icons in the task bar have disappeared so I can't access applications I have not pinned nor can I access the windows bar...
  7. Most computer functions failing ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Most computer functions failing ?: I do not know how to explain this question, But I tried restarting my file explorer and the task bar has frozen, I cannot interact with it at all. All the icons in the task bar have disappeared so I can't access applications I have not pinned nor can I access the windows bar...
  8. Most computer functions failing ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Getting an issue --- hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Getting an issue --- hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in Win32: Incorrect function....: hcsshim::PrepareLayer - failed failed in win32 : Incorrect function. 0x1I have windows 10 enterprise 1909 and I get the error in the title when I attempt to build a docker image. Any help would be appreciated.I followed the thread https://github.com/dotnet/core/issues/3798,...
  10. Zoom conferance fails to function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Zoom conferance fails to function: not a malware problem not an antivirus problem and according to Zoom not a functional problem on their part. That leaves some obscure switch in Windows 10 what could it be....