Windows 10: HDD at EXTREMELY low read write speeds. Issue seems to have started after coming home from...

Discus and support HDD at EXTREMELY low read write speeds. Issue seems to have started after coming home from... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey, so I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA III HDD. Its worked ever since i custom built my pc, and has supplied solid performance. No issues with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ryanzadorecky, Jul 31, 2021.

1. HDD at EXTREMELY low read write speeds. Issue seems to have started after coming home from...

Hey, so I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA III HDD. Its worked ever since i custom built my pc, and has supplied solid performance. No issues with downloads, but has been acting up quite a bit recently. My speeds are as follows:Active Time: always 100%Response Time: ranges anywhere from 60ms to 800ms. In some cases can go super high, to 7000ms.Capacity: 1.8TBFormatted Capacity: 1.8TBSystem Disk: YesPage File: YesRead: ranges from 0kb/s to 4mb/s, but often stays under 1 mb/s currentlyWrite: ranges from 0kb/s to 3mb/s, but also often stays under 1mb/s.I noticed that my speeds especially suf

:)

ryanzadorecky, Jul 31, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 31, 2021
  3. Looby Win User
    Extremely Slow Write Transfer Speeds

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the place for this or not. I recently upgraded from Windows Home Server 2011 to Windows 10 Pro due to whs being limited to 8gb of RAM and causing some other issues. I am seeing EXTREMELY slow transfer speeds across my network since my upgrade and am yanking my hair out because of it. I am using Storage Spaces in parity mode which I have read can be slow but it is just unusable currently. I also read that Primocache might help with this slow write speed so I am working on a trial of PrimoCache before buying but not seeing any benefit in my application and want to see if im doing anything wrong. Basically something about the config or maybe Storage Spaces itself seems to be making write speed catastrophically low.

Im sorry this is a SUPER long post but Im trying to include everything I can think of that ive tried and that im running into.

Usage:
    • Plex
    • File Storage
    • Remote and Onsite Backup

"Server" Build:
    • Windows 10 Pro 1909 (up to date as of today and brand new install on brand new drive)
    • Gigabyte GA-880G
    • Athlon II X4 610e
    • 16GB Corsair 1333mhz
    • Samsung 860evo 250gb (OS) connected SATA to mobo
    • Samsung 860evo 250gb (primocache) 2nd drive connected SATA to mobo
    • Norco RPC-4220 Case with SAS 6GB backplanes
    • Storage Pool: (using windows storage spaces)
    • 7.24 TB running parity
    • 4 x 2TB samsung hdd (sata2) <-yes I know but I got them free
    • 2 x 2TB WD hdd black (sata3)
    • BUNCH of other HDD but they arent hooked up at the moment so they arent impacting this issue.

(ALL pooled HDDs are and currently running on an LSI SAS9223-8i card but this is being changed to 2 x LSI SAS9217-8i cards soon)

Problem:

Transferring movies and shows from main computer to server (using windows explorer and yes I know thats not the fastest in itself) and am getting between 100KB - 15MB/s. A couple of days ago I was running windows home server 2011 and was getting 100MB/s+ with exact same configuration but wanted to upgrade to a newer version of windows for more RAM and security support. I did have one brief moment the other night were I was getting ~50-53MB/s on windows 10 which while not awesome was a HECK of a lot better than 4 but that stopped after a couple hours and back down to snail speed...

I have read windows storage spaces is badfor write speeds in parity so I figured PrimoCache would be the perfect fix. When I run crystaldiskmark with cache enabled it gets 400-500MB/s and I see the cache acting as I expect but not when transferring over the network. When running crystaldiskmark with cache disabled I am still getting 80-100MB write on the server. No caching is going on for the main computer the files are coming from and im getting 150MB+ read. Yes I know that the network is limited to gigabit speed (~120MB/s) but I expect to see better than Im getting.

LOCAL copies and transfers are spectacular with cache enabled and still good with it disabled but network transfers make this setup completely unusable as is.

I have setup the PrimoCache to use the full 250GB of the one samsung SSD. 250gb of L2 cache on the 7.24TB pool in storage spaces. I then added 1GB of L1 RAM cache just for giggles. I increased that to 10GB just to see if it fixed my issues with write speed and no dice so I just dropped it back to 1GB.

PrimoCache Config:
    • L1 Cache
    • Individual Read/write enabled 40% read(410MB) / 60% write(614MB)
    • L2 Cache
    • Individual Read/write enabled 40% read(95GB) / 60% write(143GB)
    • Block Size - 512KB
    • Defer-Write Enabled
    • 300 seconds
    • Write Mode - Native
    • Free Cache on Written checked

Again I know this is crazy long but I would really appreciate any help or direction. Ive been ripping my hair out for days trying to get this stupid server up and running and am beyond frustrated.

Looby, Jul 31, 2021
  4. HDD at EXTREMELY low read write speeds. Issue seems to have started after coming home from...

RANDOM read and write speeds too low

Two USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 flash drive have reasonable to good sequential read and write speeds. But the RANDOM write and write speeds are awful, up to 200 times slower than the sequental speeds. I test with DiskMark from CrystalDiskMark. I
    tested both with drives directly connected to PC 3.1 USB port and via a 3.0 USB Hub.

Results:

Seagate USB 3.0 Disk drive: Sequential read approx. 140 MB/s, Sequential write approx. 140 MB/s, Random read around 1 MB/s, Random write around 1.9 MB/s

My Book USB 3.0 Disk drive: Sequential read approx. 230 MB/s, Sequential write approx. 38 MB/s, Random read around 1.5 MB/s, Random write around 2.2 MB/s

Sandisk Extreme GO USB 3.1 Flash Drive: Sequential read approx. 190 MB/s, Sequential write approx. 140 MB/s, Random read around 7 MB/s, Random write around 2.5 MB/s

Since this happens on different devices my guess is the problem is with the computer and not with the devices. For each of these devices the policies are set for faster performance.

Drivers are the best Windows can find (when updating drivers via Device Manager).

What can I do to resolve the very slow RANDOM read and write speeds?

MarcDeSmetBE, Jul 31, 2021
Thema:

HDD at EXTREMELY low read write speeds. Issue seems to have started after coming home from...

1. HDD at EXTREMELY low read write speeds. Issue seems to have started after coming home from... - Similar Threads - HDD EXTREMELY low

2. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: Hello to everyone Let me explain the problem as follows: The hdd read and write speeds I plugged into the cnddy slot are very bad, there was no such problem before, then there was such a problem, how can I solve it 178342
  3. RANDOM read and write speeds too low

RANDOM read and write speeds too low: Two USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 flash drive have reasonable to good sequential read and write speeds. But the RANDOM write and write speeds are awful, up to 200 times slower than the sequental speeds. I test with DiskMark from CrystalDiskMark. I tested both with drives...
  4. low write speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    low write speed: when I download an app of any platform i.e Microsoft store or steam, I am getting high download speeds but my write speed is only at 2mb/s meaning that it is just slowing down my updates and downloads. I have searched for answers and I cant find anyone with the same problem,...
  5. Low read/write speeds on a new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low read/write speeds on a new laptop: Hi all, I just purchased an asus laptop for school and gaming barely 5 months ago, recently I've noticed the disk usage spiking to 100% I have tried reinstalling windows, editing sections of the registry, disabling services, but nothing has fixed my issue. My hard drive...
  6. Read and write speed

Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  7. Slow HDD read and write speeds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow HDD read and write speeds: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-hdd-read-and-write-speeds/ef724e8b-5a8d-46f7-9e41-8073d3692146
  8. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...
  9. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...
  10. HDD read / write speed (roughly) halves after waking up from sleep

HDD read / write speed (roughly) halves after waking up from sleep: OK, I've been having this problem for a while now, and the more I get into it, the more I think it's crazy. Now, I'm not sure this is a Windows 10 problem, it could also be the motherboard, I'm quite sure though that it's not a HDD problem. Anyway, here I go. I'm running...