Windows 10: HDD being thrashed for about 10 minutes on EVERY restart

Discus and support HDD being thrashed for about 10 minutes on EVERY restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In the last few weeks, my HDD is being thrashed for about 10 minutes after every reboot of Windows 10. I am almost unable to use normal apps/games... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by imacken, Jun 17, 2017.

1. imacken Win User

HDD being thrashed for about 10 minutes on EVERY restart

In the last few weeks, my HDD is being thrashed for about 10 minutes after every reboot of Windows 10.
    I am almost unable to use normal apps/games till this thrashing stops.
    Looking at Task Manager, it seems like AntiMalWare (Defender) seems to be at the top of the list most of the time with 'system' up there as well.
    Didn't used to happen. Creator update?
    Any help appreciated.

:)

imacken, Jun 17, 2017
  2. megawhite Win User

Windows update fail KB4015438 with 0x800705b4

I get this repeatedly:

"There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4)"

a) What is this supposed to mean?

b) This is very annoying because every time I turn the computer on Windows decides to thrash the HDD and processor for 15 minutes trying to install the update again when I am trying to use the computer.

megawhite, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Microsoft Skype 32 bit running

Approx after 30 minutes my new Dell E7450 i7 laptop boots Windows 10 the process "Microsoft Skype (32 bit)" causes >35% CPU utilisation and 95% of HDD activity. My HDD LED looks like the disk is thrashing. After a couple of minutes of this high activity
    the laptop fans come on full speed. This runs for ~5-8 minutes and if I terminate the process it just kicks straight back in.

I don't have Skype installed, only Skype for business which was installed as part of Office 365 Cloud installation.

Skype for business does not automatically start with Windows and its not running when this issue occurs.

I also have Windows 10 64 bit installed, so why is this process 32 bit?

Other people in numerous forums have the same issue.

fasteddie(2), Jun 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there's probably a good answer, but when I initially installed Win10 a couple of years back, my first reaction when I saw Defender doing that (which it shouldn't and I guess doesn't for most people) was to install Avast. Sorry I can't give you a direct answer- perhaps someone who uses Defender can.

As to whether that's anything to do with the Creator's upgrade, you will know if you have that as you will have seen the lengthy upgrade process proceed.

If unsure, see your Update History and check your Windows version.

Windows key + R, winver.

dalchina, Jun 17, 2017
  5. imacken Win User
    Thanks. I might give Avast a go.
    I have the Creator update, what I meant was could it be that causing the issue as it's only been happening on the last few weeks. Might be coincidence.

imacken, Jun 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD being thrashed for about 10 minutes on EVERY restart - Similar Threads - HDD being thrashed

2. A black screen appears for about 5 minutes every time after restarting and signing into...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A black screen appears for about 5 minutes every time after restarting and signing into...: A black screen appears for about 5 minutes every time after restarting and signing into Windows 10 PC. This has happened every time I restart and sign in; after 5-10 minutes, the desktop appears. I am using an Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop. Anyone had a similar issue?...
  3. A black screen appears for about 5 minutes every time after restarting and signing into...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A black screen appears for about 5 minutes every time after restarting and signing into...: A black screen appears for about 5 minutes every time after restarting and signing into Windows 10 PC. This has happened every time I restart and sign in; after 5-10 minutes, the desktop appears. I am using an Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop. Anyone had a similar issue?...
  4. A black screen appears for about 5 minutes every time after restarting and signing into...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes: Is there a way to prevent Explorer.exe from spinning up hard drives every 10 minutes? Every 10 minutes it requests the available free space.. [ATTACH] Windows 10 v1909 172538
  6. Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes

Windows 10 waking up HDD every 10 minutes: Is there a way to prevent Explorer.exe from spinning up hard drives every 10 minutes? Every 10 minutes it requests the available free space.. [ATTACH]...
  7. System restarting every minute on it's own.

System restarting every minute on it's own.: Two days ago I clicked 'reset network'. From that moment my dell laptop is not using internet though it is connected to network through wifi. None of setting options in 'setting' was opening and even it was being automatically closed. Somehow I clicked one option in...
  8. Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle

Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle: Windows 10 restarts every 10 minutes when idle (event viewer power kernel 41 both bug check and power stamp 0). After extensive diagnostics I determined that the Microsoft Power Service to be the problem. When it is disabled there is no restarting. I ran the Troubleshooter...
  9. Automatic Restart Every 2 Minutes

Automatic Restart Every 2 Minutes: Hi All, About 5 days ago I received a BSOD but I cannot remember what it was for (It may have been a Power State Failure). I would get the BSOD and then the computer would restart. I uninstalled the latest Microsoft Update (I believe it was a Security update). BSOD...
  10. Windows 10 restarts every 5 minutes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 restarts every 5 minutes: Currently using a 2007 Alienware went from windows vista to windows 10 32bit and change the processor core 2 duo 2.33ghz to core 2 extreme 3.0 ghz motherboard xfx nforce 680i sli graphics card geforce 480 gtx 6gb ram installed a 1tb hard drive I'm not sure how to fix...