Windows 10: HDD check and repair seems to have deleted my hard drive.

Discus and support HDD check and repair seems to have deleted my hard drive. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi A video file on my 3TB HDD was playing really slowly so I copied it to an SSD and it played perfectly. I thought my HDD could do with defragging... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by flashflood, Aug 13, 2019.

1. HDD check and repair seems to have deleted my hard drive.

Hi

A video file on my 3TB HDD was playing really slowly so I copied it to an SSD and it played perfectly. I thought my HDD could do with defragging and saw there was a HDD check tool under properties so I ran that first.

HDD check and repair seems to have deleted my hard drive. [​IMG]

It eventually said errors were found and a repair was recommended, or words to that effect.

I pressed repair and it started doing something and eventually stopped. I rebooted the computer ( I can't remember why I rebooted it, but it may have been because the disc was not accessible) and before booting up a screen came up saying checking disk or repairing disk wih a percentage bar. I left it at it and came back to find it had booted into windows but the HDD was now not accessible (F drive).

I have some of the most important things like my photos backed up, but I am really annoyed because there was lots of things on there not backed up.

I checked the chkdsk log and at the beginning it said that the disk had been dismounted. Could it just be that it failed to remount the disk? If so does anyone know how to remount without formatting it it so I can access all my files as before?

chkdsk log.txt

Thanks

:)

flashflood, Aug 13, 2019
  2. little cat, Aug 13, 2019
  3. HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Aug 13, 2019
  4. HDD check and repair seems to have deleted my hard drive.

CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

HDD check and repair seems to have deleted my hard drive.

1. HDD check and repair seems to have deleted my hard drive. - Similar Threads - HDD check repair

2. my hard drive is not repairing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my hard drive is not repairing: When I plug in my hard drive, the scanning and repair notification pops up so I press repair. The green loading bar gets finishes in about 2-3 minutes but it stays like that. I let it sit like that for a couple hours because I assumed I had a lot on my hard drive so it needed...
  3. my hard drive is not repairing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my hard drive is not repairing: When I plug in my hard drive, the scanning and repair notification pops up so I press repair. The green loading bar gets finishes in about 2-3 minutes but it stays like that. I let it sit like that for a couple hours because I assumed I had a lot on my hard drive so it needed...
  4. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  5. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  6. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Checking and repairing E drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Checking and repairing E drive?: My partner has a windows 10 pc only six months old, hardly used. recently when the pc starts there is a message saying checking and repairing E drive which takes ages, he says 10 mins, eventually pc starts as normal. I think at some stage perhaps he switched off incorrectly....
  8. Checking and repairing E drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Checking and repairing E drive?: My partner has a windows 10 pc only six months old, hardly used. recently when the pc starts there is a message saying checking and repairing E drive which takes ages, he says 10 mins, eventually pc starts as normal. I think at some stage perhaps he switched off incorrectly....
  9. Drive C is checked and repaired?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive C is checked and repaired?: What can I do to stop it from appearing. It always comes at the start. [ATTACH] Laufwerk C wird überprüft und repariert?
  10. Hard Drive Checking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Checking: So I have been getting alot of check disks recently, I'm young and I don't know alot about tech or anything, so I just use the computer when I need to, just browse the Web etc. So I searched on my phone and found out if I manually turned off the computer using the power...