Windows 10: HDD Cloning issues

Discus and support HDD Cloning issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have tried to "clone" a laptop, UEFI/GPT, HDD using Macrium and AOMEI Partition Assistant and it seems to work fine, but the resulting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by okrobie, Mar 15, 2016.

1. okrobie Win User

HDD Cloning issues

Hello, I have tried to "clone" a laptop, UEFI/GPT, HDD using Macrium and AOMEI Partition Assistant and it seems to work fine, but the resulting "clones" are not bootable. Am I missing something? Thanks, Jim

:)

okrobie, Mar 15, 2016
  2. qinada Win User

Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Mar 15, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Replacing an existing Hard Disk by cloning

I've never used EaseUS, but AOEMI Partition Assistant works well for cloning Windows.

With AOEMI you clone only the C:\ drive, not the whole HDD/SSD.

Other partitions can be done via the backup option, or you can create new partitions later

via Windows Disk Manager and copy data directly to the partition.

I have never tried using a external drive via USB though (I have an e-SATA dock on my case, which is the same as connecting to a SATA port on the motherboard).

Using a USB may cause issues with the MBR not being written to the cloned OS drive, but this should not

be an issue if cloning back to the original HDD as the MBR on the original HDD should still be viable.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

Note that when doing a cloning operation you start with unallocated space on the HDD you want

to clone to, not a partitioned space.

BossDweeb, Mar 15, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

HDD Cloning issues

philc43, Mar 15, 2016
  5. okrobie Win User
    Hi phil, I had already used that wizard several times, but it never makes the clone drive bootable. Thanks, Jim

okrobie, Mar 15, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    Hey, Jim. I typically opt for the image/restore route rather than the cloning route. You might want to try that to see if it works better. I know I am 2 for 2 on the image/restore route with Macrium so far - in both cases, I imaged (entire disk, all partitions) laptop HDDs to an external USB HDD, installed SSDs and then did a complete disk restore from the external and they both booted and were off to the races.

Any objection to trying that?

Word Man, Mar 16, 2016
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
    Yes try imaging and don't forget the EFI pasrtition. That's where your bootmgr is.

8. HDD Cloning issues

Hello okrobie
    after you clone the laptop, you have to set the cloned HDD as the first boot device in BIOS, and you can get into the BIOS mode by clicking F8 key just after the start screen appeared.

teresawang, Mar 16, 2016
  9. badrobot Win User
    The macrium suggestion should fix your problem. It will add boot files to your cloned OS.

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

HDD Cloning issues

1. HDD Cloning issues - Similar Threads - HDD Cloning issues

2. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  3. Software for clone HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software for clone HDD: Windows version 1909 (build 18363 1256) Good morning I am looking for software that can clone my HDD to USB external HDD. (I see there is a lot of them) but I need one that if my laptop HDD crash, I can just put the USB external HDD in and Clone it back to the laptop HDD....
  4. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  5. Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue

Cloned Mechanical HDD Drive to a SSD Issue: [ATTACH] Hello all, I'm not up to date on the current things of PC's. I use to build them way back when a 100MB drive was $100 USD if that tells you anything, LOL! Anyway, I cloned a Seagate BarraCuda HDD to a Samsung 850 EVO SSD a few years ago and it has made it to...
  6. Cloning hdd ?

Cloning hdd ?: Hello I just bought a 3tb hdd and I want to move/ copy all my games from one hdd to another. So the question is is it possible to transfer just games to new hdd without re-downloading all the games. Also I plan on wiping old hdd clean for to use as another storage device on...
  7. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. cloning a HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning a HDD: I have tried the following cloning software (aomei, Marium Reflect 7; MiniTool; Easeus TODO; clonezilla. they all have one thing in common, they don't produce a bootable/recogizable drive. Any ideas on how i can resolve the replacement of my laptop HDD? Cheers/Thanks...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058