Windows 10: HDD death and removal of lingering file paths.

Discus and support HDD death and removal of lingering file paths. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So recently my hard drive died, and since my boot drive is a separate ssd I'm still able to mostly use my pc. However, there are a lot of remaining... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by xEXIKIO48x, Feb 18, 2020.

1. HDD death and removal of lingering file paths.

So recently my hard drive died, and since my boot drive is a separate ssd I'm still able to mostly use my pc. However, there are a lot of remaining shortcuts and programs in the list that shows up when you try to add/remove programs through windows it will say "System cannot find the file" and doesn't remove it from the list of apps. Is there a way I can remove all of these random little dead ends?

:)

xEXIKIO48x, Feb 18, 2020
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Add a path to $PATH?

what exactly do you need to decipher about that path line? also, what are you installing? perhaps i can help.

Easy Rhino, Feb 18, 2020
  4. HDD death and removal of lingering file paths.

Add a path to $PATH?

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the purpose of the echo command was to check if ~/bin was in the $PATH file. My problem is that I can't decipher the output and I don't know how to add ~/bin to the $PATH file.

Just for clarification, the snippet of instructions I gave is just a few steps in the installation process. Nothing is actually supposed to be installed with those steps.

Thanks for the reply.

angelkiller, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

HDD death and removal of lingering file paths.

1. HDD death and removal of lingering file paths. - Similar Threads - HDD death removal

2. removing files from merged hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    removing files from merged hdd: i have 2 hdd merged as dynamic partitions and i want to remove one of them without loosing any data. how can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-files-from-merged-hdd/7b4da415-4874-4d6c-8844-b4eb40d40702
  3. removing files from merged hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    removing files from merged hdd: i have 2 hdd merged as dynamic partitions and i want to remove one of them without loosing any data. how can i do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-files-from-merged-hdd/7b4da415-4874-4d6c-8844-b4eb40d40702
  4. Got a new HDD. Files still trying to find paths to old HDD...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Got a new HDD. Files still trying to find paths to old HDD...: So I got myself a new HDD but not a new SSD so the windows stayed the same. I have tried installing some apps like Epic Games and Battlestate Games Launcher and they both try to find paths to my old path on my HDD. I have no idea how can the even remember these if I don't own...
  5. Got a new HDD. Files still trying to find paths to old HDD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new HDD. Files still trying to find paths to old HDD...: So I got myself a new HDD but not a new SSD so the windows stayed the same. I have tried installing some apps like Epic Games and Battlestate Games Launcher and they both try to find paths to my old path on my HDD. I have no idea how can the even remember these if I don't own...
  6. Got a new HDD. Files still trying to find paths to old HDD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to remove OneDrive from file paths

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to remove OneDrive from file paths: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/remons_00 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l6fgba/how_to_remove_onedrive_from_file_paths/
  8. Lingering effects of removed parental controls

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Lingering effects of removed parental controls: Hello, My Microsoft account was previously listed as a Child account in a Microsoft Family. This was removed recently, and while everything worked fine for a little while, installing a required Windows 10 update seems to have reinstated some of the blocks (for example, I...
  9. Ext HDD Can't remove file

in Windows 10 Support
    Ext HDD Can't remove file: Win10 1903 64 On my Ext HDD I have a windows.old file that was backed up before. I have tried resetting all the permissions and ownership but no luck. Every time I try to delete it, it begins...gets to 99% and then stops. I even tried moving it back to my pcPC from which it...
  10. Can installing Windows 10 on a new HDD fix lingering issues?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can installing Windows 10 on a new HDD fix lingering issues?: I've had countless issues for years with my PC ever since upgrading to Win10 some time ago. Some of the major ones being boot loop, updates never completing, stutters, freezing while shutting down. And even after clean installing windows many of those persist. I'm not...