Windows 10: HDD defrag

Discus and support HDD defrag in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey! My HDD model: st1000dm010-2ep102 is stuck at 2% in defragmentation,no matter what I do.. 50% occupied. I use latest drivers latest win10 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LaciWE, Jun 12, 2021.

1. LaciWE Win User

HDD defrag

Hey! My HDD model: st1000dm010-2ep102 is stuck at 2% in defragmentation,no matter what I do.. 50% occupied. I use latest drivers latest win10 and all,what should I do? Is it a problem? Does it affect my HDD performance and loading times? Thanks if you help.

:)

LaciWE, Jun 12, 2021

2. Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD

Andrew E, your post is slightly misleading, as anything run from the command prompt, even with admin elevation still runs under Windows so files in use will still not be defragged.

You would need a 3rd party app that runs before Windows loads to properly defrag the HDD.

Also Windows defrag will not touch files over a certain size (hence the suggestion to remove the page file), so if your HDD has lots of large files saved in non contiguous sectors defragging will have a minimal effect.

Also even though a disk clean-up is good practice to remove unnecessary files it is not a required step as those files will be defragmented along with any other files defrag can work with.

The main thing the original poster needs to be aware of is that running any defrag app while the Optane acceleration is active could lead to file system errors and possibly break his Windows installation.

The reason being that the Optane driver expects to find the files its caching to be in a particular place on the HDD.

I suggest you read the Optane guides and information on the Intel website and forums before suggesting the original poster tries to defrag using any method.

PeterLeonard1, Jun 12, 2021
  3. Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD

My computer has a HDD and an Intel optane drive installed. I opened the windows defrag tool to try and defrag my HDD and it says that both the HDD and optane drive are SSDs and can't be optimized. I found a troubleshooting guide on how to fix the defragmenter.
    I've already tried sfc/scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. The guide also said to check the disk defragmenter service to make sure that it is configured properly, and I can't find any disk defragmenter services listed in the services list.
    What can I do to get windows to defrag my HDD?

patmiller4, Jun 12, 2021
  4. HDD defrag

Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Jun 12, 2021
Thema:

HDD defrag

1. HDD defrag - Similar Threads - HDD defrag

2. আমার ল্যাপটপটি অন করলে enter hdd Password দেখায় কিন্তু পাসওয়ার্ড আমি জানি না এখন কিভাবে...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    আমার ল্যাপটপটি অন করলে enter hdd Password দেখায় কিন্তু পাসওয়ার্ড আমি জানি না এখন কিভাবে...: আমার ডেল ব্রান্ড ল্যাপটপ। ল্যাপটপটি অন করার সময় Enter HDD Password চাচ্ছে, পাসওয়ার্ড আমি জানি না। এখন ল্যাপটপটির সমস্যা কিভাবে সমাধান করা যায় অনুগ্রহ করে সাহায্য করুন।...
  3. আমার ল্যাপটপটি অন করলে enter hdd Password দেখায় কিন্তু পাসওয়ার্ড আমি জানি না এখন কিভাবে...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    আমার ল্যাপটপটি অন করলে enter hdd Password দেখায় কিন্তু পাসওয়ার্ড আমি জানি না এখন কিভাবে...: আমার ডেল ব্রান্ড ল্যাপটপ। ল্যাপটপটি অন করার সময় Enter HDD Password চাচ্ছে, পাসওয়ার্ড আমি জানি না। এখন ল্যাপটপটির সমস্যা কিভাবে সমাধান করা যায় অনুগ্রহ করে সাহায্য করুন।...
  4. My 1TB HDD drive shows only 33 mb of full storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My 1TB HDD drive shows only 33 mb of full storage: Hi. Like in the topic I tried to insert my 1tb hdd drive back again and it shows up only 33MB of storage, not only in disk managment but everywhere u can search for it. Is there any solution for that? Thanks for replying and have a good day :...
  5. MicroSD seen as HDD - How do I mark it as a ssd for proper handling in defragment/optimize...

in Windows 10 Customization
    MicroSD seen as HDD - How do I mark it as a ssd for proper handling in defragment/optimize...: I am currently on my Surface pro2017 -i7 The microSD card slot in the back, is showing as a physical Hard drive, and I am wondering how I can change how it looks inside the defragment/optimize drive....
  6. How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How long should it take to defrag 1TB HDD on Windows 10?: I am using my laptop with 1TB of HDD storage and windows 10 with Intel i5 8th Gen CPU and 8 GB of RAM configuration. How long should it take for deframantation for around 60% used of 1TB HDD?...
  7. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't: Hi fellow Windows users, so I've been using 1903 for a while but noticed some weird behaviour regarding the default defragment tool. I know Windows 10 normally treats SSD and HDD seperately and will only trim SSDs instead of defragging them. Which is what happens when I try...
  8. Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Defragmenter won't let me defrag my HDD: My computer has a HDD and an Intel optane drive installed. I opened the windows defrag tool to try and defrag my HDD and it says that both the HDD and optane drive are SSDs and can't be optimized. I found a troubleshooting guide on how to fix the defragmenter. I've already...
  9. Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need?: So, some people, such as the person in this article: https://www.howtogeek.com/324956/how-much-free-space-should-you-leave-on-your-windows-pc/ Are suggesting 15% free space for a mechanical hard drive defrag. However, I believe it was here or else where that people are...
  10. HP laptop running very slow. Can't defrag hdd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HP laptop running very slow. Can't defrag hdd: Hi guys. Recently my girlfriend's laptop has been running ridiculously slow. Slow enough that we both try to avoid using it anymore. My 4 year old desktop is more responsive. I've cleared off some of the unnecessary files that were cluttering up her hard drive and now...