Windows 10: HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS

Discus and support HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Earlier today I attempted to transfer some data from one HDD to another. At exactly 78% of the way through, it gave me an error, "the destination you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by striper, Oct 23, 2018.

1. striper Win User

HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS

Earlier today I attempted to transfer some data from one HDD to another. At exactly 78% of the way through, it gave me an error, "the destination you have specified does not exist". Then the drive disappeared from This PC. Also, would not show in disk management or disk part. Upon rebooting, the disk reappeared. I tried to transfer the data two more times but the same thing happened.

I noticed a notification in the action center from Intel Rapid Storage stating that a drive had be disconnected.

I proceeded to backup all the data on the drive that was acting up.

Then I attempted to reformat it. It gave me an error, could not reformat. The drive disappeared again.

I rebooted the machine and tried to reformat again but this time selected quick format. It gave me the same error. The drive disappeared for good this time. It does not show up anywhere except for in the BIOS. I also tried booting into linux to see if it showed up in Gparted, it does not. I tried rebooting multiple times and ran chkdsk. No progress.

My assumption is hardware failure. This drive was giving me some minor issues in the near past. I attempted to transfer files to my android phone which came me some issues. Computer froze a couple of times.

Are there any steps I can take to try and recover this drive. It's not that old. Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

striper, Oct 23, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

USB HDD: IN BIOS

Hi AJAY, in modern BIOS (UEFI) it is normal to have USB devices listed, such as USB HDD without drive being plugged in.

In older Legacy BIOS, a drive would have to be plugged in for it to be listed in BIOS, but not no londer . . .

DaveM121, Oct 23, 2018
  3. No BIOS or HDD

yes there is some hotkey you should be able to hit during boot to access system bios. even if the hard drive has failed you still can access bios it is built in to the mother board. what manufacturer is the computer? also if you installed Linux it reformats
    hard drive so it wont show up in windows without a third party app like Linux reader unless you reformat again

markdickey1, Oct 23, 2018
  4. HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS

bios

Hi all i am new in this forum, i need meanings step by step of each item listed in the bios Phoenix-Award

central473, Oct 23, 2018
Thema:

HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS

1. HDD failed to reformat, disappeared except for in BIOS - Similar Threads - HDD failed reformat

2. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need to reformat a ext HDD: Hello - I have a new 2TB HDD for a laptop. I formatted it and created partitions, but failed to create enough space for the C: drive. So I want to start over, but after deleting the partitions, File Mgr is not detecting the HDD. I am using AOMEI Disk Part and it recognizes...
  3. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to reformat a ext HDD: Hello - I have a new 2TB HDD for a laptop. I formatted it and created partitions, but failed to create enough space for the C: drive. So I want to start over, but after deleting the partitions, File Mgr is not detecting the HDD. I am using AOMEI Disk Part and it recognizes...
  4. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  6. HDD NOT DETECTED EVEN BY BIOS AFTER FAILED DISK FORMAT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD NOT DETECTED EVEN BY BIOS AFTER FAILED DISK FORMAT: Today i installed a new hdd to my pc, i went to disk management and it was unallocated so I formatted it, when it was formatting disk management stopped responding and it closed, when i went to disk management again it didnt even show up, I looked in bios and it is not...
  7. BIOS disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BIOS disappeared: BIOS disappeared Desperate student and my only means of completing my course is with this laptop I have an EasyNote TVCM43 Packard Bell, stuck on logo splash screen and can no longer enter the bios despite exhausting all function keys and combinations. I need to boot...
  8. HDD disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD disappearing: The problem started yesterday it. When I booted my HDD just wasn't there in my windows, although it still was shown in my BIOS after many tries of changing SATA cable with my SDD then changing the place where I plugged it in don't know how many times it just appeared again....
  9. Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10: I'd like to do a clean install of Windows 10. My laptop came with Win 7 and I did the upgrade to Win 10 some time ago but I do not have a product key or an installation disk. As I'm purchasing a new laptop I want to pass my old machine on but want to clean it up before I...
  10. Hdd not recognised in Bios...but...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hdd not recognised in Bios...but...: This one has me scratching my head. Turned on the computer and the bios tells me Bootmgr is missing. Ah! panic, looked in bios and one of my drives is not recognised which happens to be the O/S drive. I opened up the computer and re-seated the Sata connections and went...