Windows 10: HDD failing - can I still get files off the drive ?

Discus and support HDD failing - can I still get files off the drive ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Had a recent previous thread where my bios post would freeze at F2 or Del screen for options. (cant get by innitial bios start screen - Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by trinaz, Nov 19, 2016.

1. trinaz Win User

HDD failing - can I still get files off the drive ?

Had a recent previous thread where my bios post would freeze at F2 or Del screen for options. (cant get by innitial bios start screen - Windows 10 Forums)

Turns out the HHD that was failing (my storage drive) was the culprit - when I disconnect it the system posts and starts normally...when reconnected I get the post freeze at press F2 key...etc.

Now the problem is how can I recover the files on that drive ? Do I have to take it into a Computer/Drive repair shop - or is it possible somehow to access that drive either in Windows (cant get by the post tho) or outside of windows in some way ?

Really need to get access into drive if possible - is there software or anything I can do to get the files off the problem drive ? Don't care about the physical drive...but really need to recover as many of the files on it that I can.

Any suggestions or methods will be greatly appreciated...at work now but will post back make/model/size of drive, etc. Have multiple images of my main Windows drive - but don't have a backup of this current drive (was/is E: drive).

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Nov 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 won't boot

Hi

Do you have your product key still?

If so you can go to the website and make a Window 10 .Iso file with your USB Flash Drive and try to reimage the HDD you have done, or you can buy a new HDD or SSD and reimage that drive.

But honestly I would try a different computer and got to the window website and make that boot up drive with a Flash Drive bigger than 3 GBS, and see if you can reimage your current computer.

I am sorry but if your OS will not boot from your current HDD you will have to get a new one and reimage that to Win 10 and then have them both plug in as your Primary HDD would be the new HDD and the slave HDD would be your old dead one, and once your new
    HDD is ready to go and you can sign into your GUI you will be able to try to pull off the data from your old HDD and add it to your new HDD through the File System.

But either way your solution has come down to you will have to reimage something.

Because if you can still get into the BIOS and go to boot up option and tell the bios to boot up your Flash Drive first then you MAY get your computer back with Win 10 on it.

Website I am referring to: Download Windows 10

Thank you,

Nick HDD failing - can I still get files off the drive ? :D

Nicholas Wattonville, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Eric G-S Win User
    April Updates break symlinks?

I have a directory symlink setup so that I can put games on my SSD even though the full Origin/Steam/GoG libraries are on a HDD data disk.

As of this month's update the symlink no is no long read correctly. I have recreated it from an elevated command prompt, but it still fails. When I double click on it it goes to the folder (although that is labelled as in E: the HDD, not C: the SSD) and
    launch the game in question all I get is "your internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened."

I'm not accessing the internet, just another drive on the PC. For the sake of completeness I switched off the Firewall but that did nothing. I use Defender as AV so that shouldn't affect it. What has happened in this month's updates that would affect this
    and how can I get around it?

Eric G-S, Nov 19, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

I put such drives in a USB case and boot to a Linux Mint 18 LiveDVD to access and copy files to a second drive.
    Or I will use a device such as shown here:
    Amazon.com: Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives (Black): Electronics

What I've been using the last several months is a USB box that I can plug 2 x 3.5" SATA drives in, 2 x 2.5" SATA drivers or a combination of the 2.
    Amazon.com: Thermaltake BlacX Duet eSATA USB Dual Hard Drives Docking Station ST0014U: Electronics
    Granted, it may not be the most cost-effective for a one-time use but I tend to use it at least once a week.

Berton, Nov 19, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
  6. trinaz Win User
    Thanks guys...please excuse that I'm a little slow on the procedure here...if I go with one of these...what exactly is the procedure ? Since I have to have the problem HDD disconnected to get windows to start...can I then 'hot connect' the problem drive while Windows is running and one of these is installed and running on the PC ?

Not to much info on use on either Amazon product link...any step by step 'tutorials' out there for using these in my situation with an HDD that is power off/disconnected at windows boot time ??

Any instructions or videos out there for this procedure ? Saw no links for same on either Amazon page.

TiminAz

trinaz, Nov 19, 2016
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

These convertors are very straightforward. You've got the PSU and the connectors for SATA disks (both 3.5" and 2.5").
    Just hook the disk up, plug the power cord in and with Windows running plug the USB cable into a free USB port.
    Windows will recognize it and install driver and drive letter.
    You can now start to use that drive provided it's in a usable state.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 19, 2016
  8. trinaz Win User

So to confirm...there are no issues in connecting/disconnection any Sata Hard Drive (other than boot drive) in the box with the machine/power on and Windows running ? For non boot drives....either power line and/or drive connector can be plugged or unplugged with the system running without issues ?

With the problem drive connected at boot....Windows does not boot

TiminAz

trinaz, Nov 19, 2016
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Yep. Treat like any other external USB drive, plug in and eject when done.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 19, 2016
  10. strollin Win User
    BTW, it really isn't necessary to boot into Linux in order to do this. I've always simply used a USB/SATA cable to attach the drive to another Windows computer and copied files that way. The Mint LiveCD option mentioned above is really only needed if you don't have another bootable PC.

strollin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD failing - can I still get files off the drive ? - Similar Threads - HDD failing still

2. can i still get windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i still get windows 10: can i still get windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-still-get-windows-10/a1bc486e-1603-4db5-9582-be25b14c8fd1
  3. can i still get windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i still get windows 10: can i still get windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-still-get-windows-10/a1bc486e-1603-4db5-9582-be25b14c8fd1
  4. can i still get windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted: Hi guys, I just bought a new nvme for windows and hdd to put my files on, but since then I was struggling with a problem. The HDD is just getting all the files corrupted after a few hours of copying/downloading/installing/moving files there.I already tried:- CHKDSK D: /f /r...
  6. Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted: Hi guys, I just bought a new nvme for windows and hdd to put my files on, but since then I was struggling with a problem. The HDD is just getting all the files corrupted after a few hours of copying/downloading/installing/moving files there.I already tried:- CHKDSK D: /f /r...
  7. Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I still get iklings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I still get iklings: I have look for iklings for ever and I can not find it can I still get it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-still-get-iklings/2e7b2a1e-4642-4bf1-9dcf-332fbcbaa542
  9. If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If I add an SSD and make it boot drive can I keep my HDD as is and still use it as storage...: Just a quick noob question. I have a Win 10 PC with a 1TB HDD installed and a couple empty drive bays. I just ordered an SSD that will be here in a week and I will clone the HDD drive onto the SSD and make the SSD the boot drive. I would then like to use the 1TB HDD as a...
  10. Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Still getting SrtTrail.txt fails after BIOS reset and HDD swap: Hi, I'm desperate for help. I got a computer some months ago (used) with a Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard and a Intel i5 2500k CPU. It worked fine and I got a good noctua CPU fan to overclock it and mine some cryptocurrencies. I OC:ed it to 4.4 gHz and left it to mine on 4...