Windows 10: HDD free space error?

Discus and support HDD free space error? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. I have a 1TB external drive (USB) which Windows reports to have 145 GBs of available free space. Yet when I copy folders which amount to 80GBs to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by martinlest, May 4, 2021.

1. HDD free space error?

Hi. I have a 1TB external drive (USB) which Windows reports to have 145 GBs of available free space. Yet when I copy folders which amount to 80GBs to the drive, I get a report before completion that the drive is full and not all the folders making up the 80GBs will copy across. The actual usable space on the 1TB is drive is shown in Windows (and Disk Management) as 931GBs: the folders already present on the drive total 827GBs. Well that doesn't make 145 GBs free, but nevertheless still leaves enough space in theory for me to copy my 80GBs there... The Recycle Bin and System Volume Information folders on the drive show as empty, and System Restore is not set to touch the drive at all. 'CheckDisk' (or, 'Error Checking' in Properties/Tools) found no problems. Can anyone help me resolve this please? It just doesn't 'add up'! Thanks. EDIT: Just realised that the disc is set as compressed. I guess that is probably the cause - though I still can't quite make sense of the numbers? Windows 10 '20H2' (Build 19042.928)

:)

martinlest, May 4, 2021
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 4, 2021
  3. HDD S.M.A.R.T. reports error, what should I do?

first step is to back up the data first ... Then check the hdd for errors, etc ...

Morrison5891, May 4, 2021
  4. Johankaan Win User

HDD free space error?

unlock hdd

Johankaan, May 4, 2021
Thema:

HDD free space error?

1. HDD free space error? - Similar Threads - HDD free space

2. unable to free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to free space: unable to free up some spaces https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-free-space/6c1dd8f7-b6d5-4faf-9803-97425e738451
  3. free up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    free up space: I am constantly deleting files so that my drive can be in the blue not red with space. I am not sure what to remove to get it in the blue again. This happens a lot to me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/a15e3ad0-46ff-40cc-bd11-ce678cf07aac
  4. free up space

free up space: HOw do I transfer files from C drive to D drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/free-up-space/3387af44-6d0c-46b2-af12-b325a86bdb5f
  5. Free Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Free Space: I have a 500Gb SSD drive and checking the storage in settings it told me that the drive had 476Gb which I understood of which 367Gb were used and 109Gb were free. Hoping to free up some space and not wanting to delete my pictures or Music, I decided to tidy up my folders and...
  6. free space on ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free space on ssd: My skill testing question is: why is it that in Explorer, I'll see the free space on my SSD down, let's say, about 30 Gigs. After a nice fresh reboot, that space is freed up. It seems this is is not a continual thing but once in a bit, I'll notice the free space isn't what...
  7. Freeing Disk Space

Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  8. Is there any way to free up disk space on HDD?

Is there any way to free up disk space on HDD?: Hello! I have tried to free up some space on my HDD drive. Tried disk defragment, CCleaner, and deleting some files from folders. Even the one with the Windows Settings helped but the space remained about 10GB free. Also deleted some pictures I had on my phone, but I...
  9. freeing space for update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    freeing space for update: When I try to remove my temporary files to free up space for the Microsoft update, I click on the button and it takes a couple seconds then it stops but no files are deleted. no space is freed up. I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP ME!!...
  10. ssd and hdd free up space

ssd and hdd free up space: Hello, i just bought a new laptop with two hard drives in it. i would like to use my ssd drive for editing purposes and the hdd to storrage my videos. the thing is that my ssd has the os in it and it only has 30 gb of space left. i am wondering if i could free some space on...