Windows 10: HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation

Discus and support HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I defragmented all my drives yesterday before going to sleep and it said 0% fragments on all, I looked it up today and there is 3% on C: and 4% on D:.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BicycleRow, Mar 20, 2017.

1. HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation

I defragmented all my drives yesterday before going to sleep and it said 0% fragments on all, I looked it up today and there is 3% on C: and 4% on D:. This started happening a lot recently, I defragment the drives and even after a few hours, with almost no use at all, they get some fragments. I know these small amounts won't really affect the performance but I want my PC to run as fast as possible. The drive is an old Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 from around 2009, but for now it works pretty good (C: r/w speeds are 90/90 and D: - 70/70). By the way, I want to mention that there is a System reserved space and for some reason it always says 9% fragments and defragmentation doesn't help. Could it be a software issue? According to CristalDiskInfo it's health is good with over 19500 power on hours. Here's a screenshot:

HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation [​IMG]

Is that something I should be worried about? Should I start saving up money for a new one? I know you would say I should buy a newer and better PC but I'm kind of stuck with this one for now.

:)

BicycleRow, Mar 20, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Defragmentation

What defragmentation application are you using, how often do you defrag and is your hard drive an SSD or HDD

Can you provide a screenshot of the report that shows 100% fragmentation please . . .

DaveM121, Mar 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Fragmenting the HDD

I have thinkpad X230 with only one internal 500GB HDD.

Yesterday, when I opened defragmentation utility software, I noticed that it was showing 21% disk fragmentation even though I did clean install of windows 10 on 31st of July. I defragmented the HDD to 0%.

Today when I checked it says that disk is 14% fragmented and needs optimisation.

Is it a bug or its normal for windows 10?

Neeraj_Schrody, Mar 20, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation

Defragmentation statistics are open to interpretation i.e. do they include all file sizes or just file sizes over some set value. That can make a big difference.

Also there has been another big W10 update in the last day or so that will have caused significant fragmentation.

Mooly, Mar 20, 2017
  5. I have another question: Can daily defragmentation cause any harm to the drive? I guess probably not but I'm curious.

BicycleRow, Mar 20, 2017
  6. DeclanT Win User
    Hi Bicycle,

I recommend to most users that they should defrag their hard drives about once a month, but your computer might need it more frequently.

Unless you see a significant difference to your read speed once defragged then daily is probably a waste of time.

DeclanT, Mar 20, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    defragmentation will defrag most files(s) on disk but still leaves free space scattered. Try consolidate all free space after defragmentation. Might have to use third party program to do this.

topgundcp, Mar 20, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

It depends on which program you use, windows optimization or some third party program. After 2 years (at least) of use of my 2 HDDs, windows still shows 0% while Disk Speedup shows about 3%, they just look at same thing differently. Methinks that those 3rd party programs just want to justify their existence.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation - Similar Threads - HDD gets fragments

2. WinXP defragmenter gets stuck

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WinXP defragmenter gets stuck: Hello! I have an old Compaq TC-1100 tablet computer running Windows XP SP3. It's painfully slow somewhat slow in Safe Mode and I'm doing what I can so speed it up. I want to try using Disk Defragmenter, However, whenever I use it, it gets stuck saying "1% Compacting Files"...
  3. WinXP defragmenter gets stuck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinXP defragmenter gets stuck: Hello! I have an old Compaq TC-1100 tablet computer running Windows XP SP3. It's painfully slow somewhat slow in Safe Mode and I'm doing what I can so speed it up. I want to try using Disk Defragmenter, However, whenever I use it, it gets stuck saying "1% Compacting Files"...
  4. Defragmentation of my HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defragmentation of my HDD: I have a one-terabyte HDD. I've done a defragmentation till "Pass 10", should I continue the defrag or stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation-of-my-hdd/866ca455-5cc4-4cf4-913b-4aaec5a9e981
  5. Defragmentation of my HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defragmentation of my HDD: I have a one-terabyte HDD. I've done a defragmentation till "Pass 10", should I continue the defrag or stop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation-of-my-hdd/866ca455-5cc4-4cf4-913b-4aaec5a9e981
  6. Windows 10 Defragmentation won't Defrag 47% Fragmented

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Defragmentation won't Defrag 47% Fragmented: I have a Lenovo Laptop with windows 10, I noticed file transferring from drive to drive was a bit slow so I checked windows defragmentation app and it said my HDD is 47% Fragmented even though its supposed to run automatically weekly, I ran the optimization option which ran...
  7. Fragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fragmentation: Don't know why this happens. It happens with memory hungry programmes tho.. I do know how to defragment both Registry and Pagefile. However, I don't understand how a sluggish or unresponsive app can produce fragmentation in pagefile, for a start. Sometimes it's Chrome...
  8. Defragmenter tool stucks on 0% fragmented

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defragmenter tool stucks on 0% fragmented: I have used defragmented tool and after some time it shows "OK fragmented 0%". Is it stuck or common. If so is it safe. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenter-tool-stucks-on-0-fragmented/b309d0da-4f24-41e6-9b25-f55cc52a330b
  9. Not working after fragmentation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not working after fragmentation: I just refragmented my computer ,,but when i try to start it ,it does not show even the windows logo,it just shows blank screen of black colour,,please do reply really in need...
  10. Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?: I know this is a old question but I can't find proper answers there and here. I run Mydefrag (I have it because I have 3 mechanical hard drives) and checked my SSD out of curiosity and it's all yellow (fragmented), seems that at least 80% of all files are fragmented. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HDD gets fragments too quickly after defragmentation