Windows 10: HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results

Discus and support HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hiya tenforums, hoping you could give me some advice regarding a strange HDD issue. My brother has been having trouble with his HDD (F: drive), it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by catvomit, May 22, 2020.

1. catvomit Win User

HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results

Hiya tenforums, hoping you could give me some advice regarding a strange HDD issue.

My brother has been having trouble with his HDD (F: drive), it will "stop" at random when downloading files, running big programs or moving files. He says GTA V would fail to load maps at random points; and file transfers will cut out for several seconds, then start again, then stop. It doesn't cancel it just slows down to the point where nothing happens.

After a while the drive completely stops, crashes his games and the drive stops being recognised by windows. Restarting the PC brings it back, but it will disappear again if he tries to open anything. Sometimes it also causes file explorer to crash so he can't use the taskbar, and task manager shows "file manager" closing and opening, and it keeps going if force stopped.

He ran CHKDSK /r and SFC /scannow, both found and apparently fixed errors but the problem still persists. Cables have been swapped, reseated, wobbled with no effect.

He has had this problem before, but the logs pointed to a binding of isaac mod so he uninstalled it. After uninstalling that, it has worked fine for just over a month. Specs are the ones in my profile, I will add a zip folder containing all screenshots and logs that he has sent me. Apologies for not having the raw logs, but I can get them if needed

Any help, ideas, advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Windows version 1903 (OS Build 18362.836)

:)

catvomit, May 22, 2020
  2. catvomit Win User

Hiya tenforums, hoping you could give me some advice regarding a strange HDD issue.

My brother has been having trouble with his HDD (F: drive), it will "stop" at random when downloading files, running big programs or moving files. He says GTA V would fail to load maps at random points; and file transfers will cut out for several seconds, then start again, then stop. It doesn't cancel it just slows down to the point where nothing happens.

After a while the drive completely stops, crashes his games and the drive stops being recognised by windows. Restarting the PC brings it back, but it will disappear again if he tries to open anything. Sometimes it also causes file explorer to crash so he can't use the taskbar, and task manager shows "file manager" closing and opening, and it keeps going if force stopped.

He ran CHKDSK /r and SFC /scannow, both found and apparently fixed errors but the problem still persists. Cables have been swapped, reseated, wobbled with no effect.

He has had this problem before, but the logs pointed to a binding of isaac mod so he uninstalled it. After uninstalling that, it has worked fine for just over a month. Specs are the ones in my profile, I will add a zip folder containing all screenshots and logs that he has sent me. Apologies for not having the raw logs, but I can get them if needed

Any help, ideas, advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Windows version 1903 (OS Build 18362.836)

catvomit, May 22, 2020
  3. catvomit Win User

Yep, that screenshot is after it was changed to decimal. The HDD is right next to the case fan. but the SSD is right on top of it. That's decent air flow I think, unless the SSD being on top is blocking it?

catvomit, May 22, 2020
  4. catvomit Win User

HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results unknown.png

The boot drive seems completely healthy, Kingston SSD Manager gives it 100% in health, 90% wear and no failures or warnings at all.

catvomit, May 22, 2020
Thema:

1. HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results - Similar Threads - HDD giving seemingly

2. NSIS Error popping up for seemingly no reason?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NSIS Error popping up for seemingly no reason?: I keep getting an error saying "NSIS Error - Failed to launch installer." Now, here's the part that's got me really confused. I don't have any 'installer' to speak of. I'm not even trying to install any software at all. It just keeps popping up for no reason whatsoever. It...
  3. NSIS Error popping up for seemingly no reason?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NSIS Error popping up for seemingly no reason?: I keep getting an error saying "NSIS Error - Failed to launch installer." Now, here's the part that's got me really confused. I don't have any 'installer' to speak of. I'm not even trying to install any software at all. It just keeps popping up for no reason whatsoever. It...
  4. Ultra Adware Killer 9 gives weird results

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ultra Adware Killer 9 gives weird results: I installed this app on the advice of WebUser magazine (in UK, now defunct). It seems to give me loads of false positives - see screenshot malware results. I don't know what the listed malwares are but they seem to be associated with geniune, safe apps I've had for ages. It...
  5. Weird CHKDSK issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Weird CHKDSK issue: Edition: Windows 10 Pro Version: 21H1 OS build: 19043.1081 Hey, all. I decided to do a CHKDSK on my 1TB external HDD after using it on Kubuntu 21.04 with Dislocker. The drive was BitLocker encrypted & I used Dislocker to decrypt it under a Kubuntu 21.04 live CD. The drive was...
  6. HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results: Hiya tenforums, hoping you could give me some advice regarding a strange HDD issue. My brother has been having trouble with his HDD (F: drive), it will "stop" at random when downloading files, running big programs or moving files. He says GTA V would fail to load maps at...
  7. Chkdsk results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk results: Recently ran chkdsk, and looked at results in Event Viewer. It says it made corrections to a few files. How do I know which files it made corrections to ? (also, how do I locate and upload the relevant log file please?) (Windows Home, 64-bit, Version 1909) 147792
  8. Computer wakes up seemingly for no reason

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer wakes up seemingly for no reason: It's not updating, the mouse and keyboard are off, so why is it waking up? 140067
  9. chkdsk /f gives result of orphaned files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    chkdsk /f gives result of orphaned files: hi, I ran chkdsk /f on my external HDD which was attached to a wifi router and I am using HDD on remote access and for internal LAN sharing of files too. However, I got problem with the HDD after running chkdsk /f function and it results saying there are 9 orphaned file...
  10. Slow, unmountable HDD result of dead battery during chkdsk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Slow, unmountable HDD result of dead battery during chkdsk: So I was on my laptop trying to resize my OS partition with a 3rd party tool, and my battery died in the middle of it. I powered back on the next day to find that my OS was broken, so I reinstalled and ran chkdsk. I had another dead battery in the middle of that and now have...