Windows 10: HDD has six partitions after clean install

Discus and support HDD has six partitions after clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After a clean install of the 10240 build I ended up w/six partitions on my HDD. It appears 3 and 5 are just taking up space. I deleted all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gramps, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Gramps Win User

HDD has six partitions after clean install

After a clean install of the 10240 build I ended up w/six partitions on my HDD. It appears 3 and 5 are just taking up space. I deleted all the partitions as part of the install, but did not format the drive. Initially the clean install would not activate but a reset cured that. I'm guessing that may be what caused this. Anyone care to offer an opinion on if I should delete 3 & 5 and expand C with the reclaimed space? It's not a lot and I'm not that concerned with the space so much as 6 partitions seems extreme.

:)

Gramps, Aug 18, 2015
  2. Sgt. Mole Win User

Clean Installing Windows 10 on a Laptop with more than 1 HDD installed

I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything was working fine until I got a BSOD that there was no recovering from (even the repair came up with problems).

I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 from scratch. I used the Microsoft tool to download and create the Windows 10 Pro 64bit install USB and then proceeded to try and do a clean install. I had removed all partitions from the main disk (256GB Samsung
    840 Pro SSD), the partition on my 2nd drive (300gb standard HDD) was left as it is as that holds all my files and data.

When I ran the install it created 1 partition on my main hard drive but didn't create a system reserve boot partition. After the install had run and the laptop rebooted, I just had a back screen with a flashing _

After testing the install on a couple of laptops I'd realised that the install wasn't auto creating a system reserve boot partition because there was a 2nd hdd in the laptop. I removed the 2nd HDD and cleaned the main drive and did the windows 10 install
    again and this time it gave me the notice and created the reserve boot partition. After the install I then put my 2nd hdd back into the laptop and it works fine.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue when doing a clean install of windows 10 Pro on a machine with more than 1 hdd installed?

If this is a bug in the Windows 10 install, I can see a few people falling foul of it as it's not uncommon to find a PC or laptop with more than 1 hdd installed

Sgt. Mole, Aug 18, 2015
  3. suat.cini Win User
    System Image Restore

Are you Devine147 or devine148 ?

Anyway, did you clean-install on MBR partitioned HDD/SSD or GPT partitioned HDD/SSD ?

suat.cini, Aug 18, 2015
Thema:

HDD has six partitions after clean install

1. HDD has six partitions after clean install - Similar Threads - HDD has six

2. install w10 in a hdd partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    install w10 in a hdd partition: how to install w10 in a hdd partition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-w10-in-a-hdd-partition/d91c95f8-11c8-44b4-9bba-fb79ee563776
  3. Clean Install - Partitions

Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  4. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  5. Clean Install 2004 Has New Partition Order

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install 2004 Has New Partition Order: I just noticed on both my platforms that were given clean installs of 2004 using the MCT that the partition order that's been consistent since 1511 has now changed and the naming is slightly different. Not that it really affects anything, but has anybody heard why or have a...
  6. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    11 partitions on HDD after clean install: I did a clean install on my daughters old laptop (Lenovo G580) and after looking into disk management there are 11 partitions on the HDD. Can anyone tell me why so many and if I can delete them. The laptop is 7 years old so way out of warranty and she never uses any of the...
  7. 11 partitions on HDD after clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    11 partitions on HDD after clean install: I did a clean install on my daughters old laptop (Lenovo G580) and after looking into disk management there are 11 partitions on the HDD. Can anyone tell me why so many and if I can delete them. The laptop is 7 years old so way out of warranty and she never uses any of the...
  8. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  9. Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions

Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions: I want to re install windows 10 on my laptop [img] How can I keep my D: and E: partitions? Do i just delete the other 4 including C: where windows is installed and make a new 1 and install windows there? 111289
  10. Perform a clean install on a disk that has a data partition?

Perform a clean install on a disk that has a data partition?: I've been considering shrinking my one disk (disk 0) to create another volume, a data partition, but I'm still not clear what happens in the event that I want to refresh, reset or clean install Windows 10 in the future. Would the data partition remain or, as I thought I read,...