Windows 10: HDD in caddy CD swap notworking

Discus and support HDD in caddy CD swap notworking in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, for the second time, with a different caddy, I'm trying to add a second HDD to my laptop. The hardware part seems to be ok: both the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DavidMonten, Apr 2, 2020.

1. HDD in caddy CD swap notworking

Hi everyone,

for the second time, with a different caddy, I'm trying to add a second HDD to my laptop.

The hardware part seems to be ok: both the bios and the device manager can recognise the drive; moreover, the drivers are updated there was no exclamation mark but I've run an update anyway.

Still, the drive does not appear in MyComputer.

The drive is the old system drive, so it has some small partition recovery, system, and so on and one bigger to use as storage.

Shall I format everything? I don't want/need to free the space occupied by those partitions.

Please could somebody enlight me on what I'm missing?

Thank you for your support.

• Aggiungi al Frasario
      • Non ci sono elenchi di parole per Inglese -> Italiano...
      • Crea un nuovo elenco di parole...
    • Copia

:)

DavidMonten, Apr 2, 2020

2. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 2, 2020
  3. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi!

I recently bought Lenovo Z50 which came with a regular HDD. I had a spare SSD drive from an older laptop so I cloned the OS that came with Z50 to it and then did a clean install with installation media. Everything went well and the system is running very
    smoothly on the SSD.

The problem is that I can't get the regular HDD that came with new laptop running if I boot from the SSD. Regular HDD is in a HDD caddy that I used to replace my DVD-drive. HDD in the caddy shows up in device management as an other device, not as a hard
    drive and it's not showing up in the disk management. Is there a way to clean this drive without OS? Would it help? I have everything backed up on an external hard drive so it's okay if I lose the data. That's what I want actually.

If I boot from the regular HDD in the caddy the original OS starts up just fine and even the SSD shows up in the disk management. If I swap the SSD to the caddy and put the HDD inside the laptop I can boot from the HDD but not from the SSD...

What should I do to get the OS running on the 128 MB SSD so that i could use the regular 1 TB HDD also to store everything i need?

AapoOinonen, Apr 2, 2020
  4. HDD in caddy CD swap notworking

2nd hdd caddy and windows 1809

Hey

I have posted 2 topics about the inability to update to 1809 and I have figured out that it is due to the 2nd hdd caddy

I have installed a 2nd Hdd caddy instead of my DVD rom on my laptop
    Since windows 7
    Then I have upgraded my laptop to asus with windows 10 which had 1507 and installed the 2nd hdd as well
    And upgraded till version 1803 which everything was running smoothly
    But for some reason the 1809 is not booting from the usb
    I have removed the 2nd hdd and was able to perform a clean install of windows 1809
    Fixing the 2nd hdd makes it stuck on the boot logo

Maybe it's a bug!

MohamedAl.nasser, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

HDD in caddy CD swap notworking

1. HDD in caddy CD swap notworking - Similar Threads - HDD caddy swap

2. Swapping a HDD for an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Swapping a HDD for an SSD: I am swapping an HDD for a Samsung SSD in an HP Pavilion Laptop, what would be the easiest way to make a clean install of windows on the SSD? I don't want to clone the drives since the HDD is extremely slow and I don't need most of the files. submitted by /u/VolphanGaming...
  3. HDD caddy NOT working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD caddy NOT working: Altough there are many posts about this topic, i could not find a solution. I own an HP 15ba107ng with AMD Prozessor running Windows 10 home. A month ago i decided to upgrade to SSD, so i switched the 1 T HDD with a 500 GB SDD. It worked well, and then i heard of HDD caddies...
  4. HDD Caddy not showing up

HDD Caddy not showing up: Hi I'm using HP laptop that i bought back in 2017. It came with 1TB HDD, and now it's starting to slowing down. I recently bought an SSD and a HDD Caddy, I've clone the Local Disk C from the old HDD to the brand new SSD and it's working fine now. The problem came up when...
  5. HDD with caddy not initializable, says "incorrect function"

HDD with caddy not initializable, says "incorrect function": I own a Dell Inspiron 5767 laptop which came with a Seagate ST2000LM003 2 TB HDD. However, I got Crucial CT250MX500SSD1 250 GB SSD and replaced the HDD with it in the primary slot. Now the Seagate HDD is installed in the DVD reader slot using a Caddy, while the SSD is in the...
  6. unable to update to 1809 with HDD caddy (2nd HDD)

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to update to 1809 with HDD caddy (2nd HDD): hey i have rmoved the dvd rom and installed a seconed hdd i have ran windows 7 till windows 10 1803 (april update) hence the update to 1809 is not showing neither the setup ( when creating a USB) so I am unable to enter the boot menu of the 1809 i have to remove the 2nd...
  7. 2nd hdd caddy and windows 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2nd hdd caddy and windows 1809: Hey I have posted 2 topics about the inability to update to 1809 and I have figured out that it is due to the 2nd hdd caddy I have installed a 2nd Hdd caddy instead of my DVD rom on my laptop Since windows 7 Then I have upgraded my laptop to asus with windows 10 which had...
  8. 1 TB HDD in HDD caddy is not recognized

1 TB HDD in HDD caddy is not recognized: Hello folks, Just to speed up the aging laptop (Acer Aspire 5740), I replaced HDD with SSD and in the process of replacing the optical drive with the old HDD in HDD caddy. I have been trying to figure out what's wrong all weekend. The HDD works flawlessly. If I put the HDD...
  9. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...
  10. HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD in caddy slow read/write speeds: I have a TOSHIBA 1TB HDD which is inside a caddy. When I copy a file from the HDD, the copying starts from 20mb/s to 0KB to Calculating and eventually, the explorer crashes. I open Task Manager and the Disk shows at 100%. But when I plug in another 320GB HITACHI drive, the...