Windows 10: HDD in external hub spins after safe removal

Discus and support HDD in external hub spins after safe removal in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Win 10 build 17134. I have a HDD hub U.S.B. 03, auto-supplied. After ejection or safe removal or disconnection from devices panel etc-etc (I'd tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LoLee1, Mar 28, 2019.

1. LoLee1 Win User

HDD in external hub spins after safe removal

Win 10 build 17134. I have a HDD hub U.S.B. 03, auto-supplied. After ejection or safe removal or disconnection from devices panel etc-etc (I'd tried all the possible ways) some of my drives keep spinning (obviously also after shutdown as it has it's own plug). The hub has a power button but I'm not sure if it's completely disk friendly to turn off the disks that way, because especially some older drives after heavy use of data transfer are still spinning in max rpm some times. The hub's developer site is ridiculously spartan: "remove safely the disk from notification tray"... I found a workaround (a global and one with DEV drive specification) via Regedit but I'm guessing, if not almost sure, it's useless because the hub is not powered via U.S.B. and I suppose the registry entry powers off the U.S.B. where the specified disk is attached, instead of giving an order to the disk to retract the head and stop the spin. Also it's a Win 7 tweak. If someone knows something on the subject, I'll be glad to have the feedback. Thanks in advance.

:)

LoLee1, Mar 28, 2019

2. USB external HDD does not stop spinning after ejection

Hi,

A week ago, I bought an Asus F554L laptop that came with Windows 8.1 which I promptly updated to Windows 10, but this update did not solve the following problem:

Two different USB external HDDs do not stop spinning after being safely ejected and after being notified that it's safe to remove them. After this, the laptop no longer recognizes the HDDs. I tried updating the driver, but Windows says the best driver is already
    installed. I also conducted a system file check, but it reported no errors.

This situation doesn't occur with either HDD when safely removed from my desktop with Windows 7/10.

After a relatively intense search on the Internet, I was unable to find anything helpfull.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nelson

Nelson Calado, Mar 28, 2019
  3. Safely Remove Hardware - Windows 10

Hi Grant,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have concern about the how to safely removal of external device from Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to provide you valuable suggestion in the feedback app.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Windows Feedback" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then provide your suggestion.

We can also removely safely the external pen drives or external hard drive through below steps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. It will show the list of Drives available on the computer, then right click on the external drive which you want to remove safely.

3. The click on Eject option from the list.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 28, 2019
  4. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

1. HDD in external hub spins after safe removal - Similar Threads - HDD external hub

2. External HDD not recognized-error code 43.... need to safely remove?!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not recognized-error code 43.... need to safely remove?!: Had to repost since my first question received only one reply and no followup, and now I have more details anyway. I have been searching this forum and found there's quite a bit of those with same or similar issues.My Windows 10 pc had went into partial sleep mode when my...
  3. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed: Hi everyone,I just have a new external HDD lacie rugged 5tb usb-c and having a problem with its writing speed.Case 1: laptop is already on. Plug in the external HDD in the usb-c port. Then I speed test with CrystalDiskMark, I got 130MB/s for reading and ~ 50MB/s for writing....
  4. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed: Hi everyone,I just have a new external HDD lacie rugged 5tb usb-c and having a problem with its writing speed.Case 1: laptop is already on. Plug in the external HDD in the usb-c port. Then I speed test with CrystalDiskMark, I got 130MB/s for reading and ~ 50MB/s for writing....
  5. External HDD writing speed slows down after safely removed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  7. Can't safely eject an external HDD

Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  8. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Unable to "safely eject" external HDD

Unable to "safely eject" external HDD: I've been experiencing this for a while now. Whenever i try to safely remove my Seagate External hard drive, an error pops up which says its being used by some programs when i am not actually using it. I tried to find out what was causing the problem and i found two warnings...
  10. Cannot safely remove external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot safely remove external HDD: I am trying to remove my WD Passport, I am using Windows 10, but also fairly new to it. I am trying to eject it by using the option on the task bar, but get the error message: 'This device is currently in use. Close any programs or Windows that might be using the device and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i remove the hdd and sssd drives from a external hub