Windows 10: HDD inaccessible

Discus and support HDD inaccessible in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a HDD that is now inaccessible and would appreciate some advice before I take the next step. My system has: -main SSD (C:) which has the Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dsscottage, Jun 7, 2019.

1. HDD inaccessible

I have a HDD that is now inaccessible and would appreciate some advice before I take the next step.

My system has:
    -main SSD (CHDD inaccessible :) which has the Win system and all frequently used programs.
    -secondary HDD (DHDD inaccessible :) which has all data and infrequently used programs.

Briefly here is what has happened and what I have done:
    -about 2 days ago, the D: drive occasionally became very slow to access and eventually froze File Manager. A reboot would restore functionality for a short while but the problem would return.
    -I ran an "error check" on the HDD. It found and fixed errors but the above symptoms continued.
    -I ran a "chkdsk" on the HDD. It found and fixed errors but the above symptoms continued.
    -Ultimately, the D: is totally inaccessible. It does not appear in File Manager
    -Checking "Disk Management", the HDD is shown as "Disk 1 unknown" and it gives me a window asking to initialize the HDD as either MBR or GPT.
    -When I boot the computer, it used to boot in less that 30 seconds. Now the POST seems to take forever before proceeding to boot.

I'm inclined to initialize the HDD but I'm worried that this will delete all data on the HDD. (I do have a back up but it doesn't include hundreds of irreplaceable pictures from a recent vacation.)

Any advice before I proceed and screw this up any further?

:)

dsscottage, Jun 7, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jun 7, 2019
  4. HDD inaccessible

HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

HDD inaccessible

1. HDD inaccessible - Similar Threads - HDD inaccessible

2. external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible: I booted my my computer and it booted slower than usual so I just shrugged it off. When I noticed it just appeared as "Local Disk F:" I started to worry and whenever I would interact with it, it would crash explorer so I had to restart. then I unplugged it and the computer...
  3. external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible: I booted my my computer and it booted slower than usual so I just shrugged it off. When I noticed it just appeared as "Local Disk F:" I started to worry and whenever I would interact with it, it would crash explorer so I had to restart. then I unplugged it and the computer...
  4. external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition: I recently installed a new ssd into my pc and cloned the old hdd to the new ssd. I noticed there was a little bit of allocated space on the hdd so I used minitool to resize it. I then was not able to access the drive and there is a question mark next to it. I want to have my...
  6. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition: I recently installed a new ssd into my pc and cloned the old hdd to the new ssd. I noticed there was a little bit of allocated space on the hdd so I used minitool to resize it. I then was not able to access the drive and there is a question mark next to it. I want to have my...
  7. Inaccessible hdd after cloning and resizing partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Inaccessible HDD's in a new Win 10 PC build, also has major slow down and performance issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccessible HDD's in a new Win 10 PC build, also has major slow down and performance issues: I recently built a new PC for my parents after their old one stop working. No idea how the old one broke, but it was covered in dust so I assumed it was from overheating/bad airflow, and that their old HDD should be fine to at least recover their old data in the new...
  9. Inaccessible HDD's in a new Win 10 PC build, also has major slow down and performance issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccessible HDD's in a new Win 10 PC build, also has major slow down and performance issues: I recently built a new PC for my parents after their old one stop working. No idea how the old one broke, but it was covered in dust so I assumed it was from overheating/bad airflow, and that their old HDD should be fine to at least recover their old data in the new...
  10. Inaccessible HDD's in a new Win 10 PC build, also has major slow down and performance issues

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 external hdd inaccessible 1903