Windows 10: HDD is sitting at 100% usage for 5 minutes after boot

Discus and support HDD is sitting at 100% usage for 5 minutes after boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am running Windows 10 version 1903 on a Western Digital Black 1TB drive (model number WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0). As the title implies,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Aggserp4, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Aggserp4 Win User

HDD is sitting at 100% usage for 5 minutes after boot

Hello everyone,

I am running Windows 10 version 1903 on a Western Digital Black 1TB drive (model number WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0).

As the title implies, every time that I start my computer it is sitting at 100% disk usage for several minutes, usually around 5. It's also quite slow during startup, usually icons in the taskbar are missing and icons in the desktop are just the generic "paper" icon for a few seconds after booting. This has been going on for a while, but I think it's been getting slower and slower over time.

In addition, I've noticed my hard drive making a very slight ticking noise. I don't know whether it's been doing this since I got it or if it's recently started since it's barely audible from a normal distance but it can be distinctly heard when I listen close to the computer.

I haven't noticed anything else unusual and according to the S.M.A.R.T. information from Crystal Disk Info my drive is fine. I even ran an extended test with Western Digital's own DLGDIAG utility and found no issues. And to my knowledge, the computer isn't infected with any malware.

Is anything actually wrong with the hard drive or am I being paranoid? I should mention that this computer is running on a Pentium G3220 dual core CPU, which is not exactly fast. Does anyone else here have the same hard drive so that they can tell if it's normal for it to make noise or not?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Aggserp4, Nov 14, 2019

2. 100% disk usage on boot up for at least 5 to 10 minutes

Hi there, I did a clean boot as you suggested and the boot up time became considerably longer and although disk usage was 100%, this was only for a minute or so. The program at the top of the disk utilisation list this time though was service host:superfetch.

However I then didn't disable anything in the services tab but disabled all the programs in the startup tab and restarted. This resulted in a very speedy boot up AND there was no 100% disk utilisation. I've done this several times enabling a couple of programs
    on startup and the disk utilisation is no longer 100%.

It appears therefore as though it was some kind of conflict in the startup programs that was causing the 100% disk utilisation.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Colin Smith 18, Nov 14, 2019
  3. 100% disk usage on boot up for at least 5 to 10 minutes

My laptop is showing 100% disk usage every time I boot it up. When I look at task manager I can see that it is "system" causing the 100% usage. I've checked out the folllowing link but it is not appropriate for my system as I don't have StoreAHCI.sys

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...00-disk-utilization-on-windows-10-devices-wit

I've run the performance analyser and the results can be found here.

COLINSDELL.07-23-2017.09-35-31.etl

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to how to fix the 100% disk usage?

Thanks.

Colin Smith 18, Nov 14, 2019
  4. HDD is sitting at 100% usage for 5 minutes after boot

100% disk usage.

Summer has ended and my girlfriend booted her school laptop for the first time in months, only for it to be so unbearably slow that it took several minutes to log in. She handed it to me and said "fix it"... that was 3 days ago and now I am here to humbly
    ask the community what is going on with this GD laptop.

It boots and task manager reports 100%CPU usage, it then lags for several seconds and displays 100%disk usage with CPU usage bouncing between 30-60%.

If you leave it alone with task manager running it will eventually quiet down to a reasonable 0-5% disk usage, but doing ANYTHING causes it to bounce right back to 100%.

I have tried EVERYTHING.

• disable superfetch.
    • disable microsoft search.
    • disable updates and suggestive tips.
    • updated to the most current version of microsoft. (it hadn't been updated since 2018 when she bought it.)
    • reconfigured AHCI PCIE.
    • changed energy options.
    • disabled indexing.
    • reset the virtual memory.
    • ran disk defragment and disabled all scheduling.
    • updated all drivers.
    • deleted google chrome.
    • Disabled all services that weren't microsoft services and disabled all startup programs (clean boot).
    Still no change in the disk usage.

Its an HP Laptop model 15-bw0xx with Windows 10 home edition version 10.0.18362

after messing with it this long im considering replacing the HDD with an SSD but I fear that it wont fix the issue.

LucasParsons, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

HDD is sitting at 100% usage for 5 minutes after boot

1. HDD is sitting at 100% usage for 5 minutes after boot - Similar Threads - HDD sitting 100%

2. HDD usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD usage at 100%: My Dell laptop's Hard Drive usage continually shoots up to 100% and can last up to 1 hour before the disk usage drops again. This happens every time work starts and I thought it was because they were updating or scanning Windows Defender, but in the middle of the day it also...
  3. HDD usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD usage at 100%: My Dell laptop's Hard Drive usage continually shoots up to 100% and can last up to 1 hour before the disk usage drops again. This happens every time work starts and I thought it was because they were updating or scanning Windows Defender, but in the middle of the day it also...
  4. BSOD after 5 minutes of boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after 5 minutes of boot: Hi My PC was working fine until yesterday. This morning I opened it up to clean out dust, like I usually do every few months. Since then, it take much longer to boot up, almost 4 to 5 minutes I can use the device for another 5 minutes but it is slow and then a blue screen...
  5. BSOD after 5 minutes of boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after 5 minutes of boot: Hi My PC was working fine until yesterday. This morning I opened it up to clean out dust, like I usually do every few months. Since then, it take much longer to boot up, almost 4 to 5 minutes I can use the device for another 5 minutes but it is slow and then a blue screen...
  6. BSOD after 5 minutes of boot

7. 100% disk usage HDD

100% disk usage HDD: so when load up my computer my pc is slow and is at 100% disk usage when i go to task manger to look at processes it says my disk is at 25% but when i go to performance it shows it is at 100% non stop my memory is at 5.7 out of 15.7 36% cpu at 2% gpu at 6% any ideas how to...
  8. 100% disk usage HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage HDD: so when load up my computer my pc is slow and is at 100% disk usage when i go to task manger to look at processes it says my disk is at 25% but when i go to performance it shows it is at 100% non stop my memory is at 5.7 out of 15.7 36% cpu at 2% gpu at 6% any ideas how to...
  9. 100% disk usage HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. 100% cpu usage after boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% cpu usage after boot: Basically when i boot my pc after few seconds my CPU starts running at 100% but it goes to normal once i open the task manager, it doesnt leave me the time to look at which process is using the cpu. i first noticed this when i booted my pc and went afk, came back and saw the...