Windows 10: HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment

Discus and support HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HelloI was using my computer which is windows 10.i went to play a game and had to re download it as my HHD was no longer in the file explorer.Although... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xXhutchoXx, Sep 16, 2021.

1. HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment

HelloI was using my computer which is windows 10.i went to play a game and had to re download it as my HHD was no longer in the file explorer.Although i can see it in device manager and disk management,in disk management it is now un-allocated, previously it was my "E" drive.I am unable to initialize new volume, as it states "the request could nopt be preformed because of an I/O device error"Any help would be appreciated Thanks

:)

xXhutchoXx, Sep 16, 2021

2. HDDs Listed Twice in File Explorer & Device Manager

I did a clean install of win 10 on a new SSD. Everything appears to have gone well except the assigning of drive letters. I have 4 HDDs that were assigned drive letters E, F, G, & H in win 7. When I added them to the win 10 install they were assigned
    drive letters J – M and the USB3 drives were assigned drive letters D – G. I need my HDDs to have drive letters E – H because some of my software expects data to be on those drives. In Disk Management I changed the drive letters of the HDDs and USBs to
    reflect drive letters of E – H for the HDDs. While looking at File Explorer I discovered that the HDDs are all listed twice. I looked in Device Manager and the HDDs and the USBs are listed there as Disk Drives and as Portable Devices.

The USBs don’t show up in File Explorer unless there is a drive plugged into them, although the box in Folder Options “Hide empty drives” is not checked.

Is anyone out there aware of this problem and a solution for it?

My hardware is Intel i7 3770 on an ASUS p8z77 - v pro motherboard.

LeonardJames, Sep 16, 2021
  3. HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 16, 2021
  4. ARH_999 Win User

HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment

Portable HDD not available in Explorer but in Device Manager

I'm on Ver 1703 of Win 10 and tried to use my 250 GB Toshiba portable HDD to Back up some files on my laptop - I last used it in May with no issue. Now, while Device Manager reports it as a HDD and reports the drive and partition size, it does not appear
    in Explorer as a device that I read/write to. I've attempted driver updates , but nothing seems available from MS or Toshiba. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ARH_999, Sep 16, 2021
Thema:

HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment

1. HDD missing from file Explorer. But can be found in device manager and disk managment - Similar Threads - HDD missing file

2. Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.: I started my laptop as usual but I am unable to see my secondary HDD, only primary system C drive is accessible. When I open disk management only the C drive is shown but not the HDD D drive1std Pic. I am getting this notification when I open a folder from "quick access" that...
  3. Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.: I started my laptop as usual but I am unable to see my secondary HDD, only primary system C drive is accessible. When I open disk management only the C drive is shown but not the HDD D drive1std Pic. I am getting this notification when I open a folder from "quick access" that...
  4. Can't access Internal HDD from file explorer or disk management.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB HDD not seen in explorer but is in disk manager and on other devices.

USB HDD not seen in explorer but is in disk manager and on other devices.: Hi, my WD 5TB black was doing really well until I plugged it into my familys TV to show them a clip, it ran on their TV, when I came home I plugged it into my computer where it then said its now not accessible, I plugged it into my TV and my Samsung sees the files, my media...
  6. External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager: I was transferring data to my external HDD when the transfer dropped to 0b/s and refused to pause and cancel, eventually resulting in the window becoming unresponsive. I ended up plugging out the HDD at that point as I couldn't get it to eject. Subsequently the HDD was no...
  7. Hdd not in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hdd not in Disk Management: I am trying to add a second hdd to my new laptop (The first hdd is a m2 ssd). It is a hdd from an older laptop but the drive still worked yesterday in that old laptop. On the new laptop the hdd does show up in the bios but not in disk management in windows. I also booted the...
  8. A disk volume not found by Explorer but recognized in Disk Management

A disk volume not found by Explorer but recognized in Disk Management: Volume Z is not recognized in Explorer. It was recognized normally in the recent past, but not any more. Y and Z are volumes in a Western Digital 1TB drive. If you look at the included Snips you can see the issue. Thanks, Terry[ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  9. Missing HDD in BIOS, Explorer and Disk Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing HDD in BIOS, Explorer and Disk Manager: I recently started having issues with Windows 7 and decided to upgrade the system in stages. I was running the following: C: Main WD 1TB Caviar Black (Windows 7 and most software) D: Photos (WD 500MB Caviar Blue) E: DVD G: Simulator software (WD 1TB WD Caviar Black) and all...
  10. Missing HDD in BIOS and Disk Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing HDD in BIOS and Disk Manager: I recently started having issues with Windows 7 and decided to upgrade the system in stages. I was running the following: C: Main WD 1TB Caviar Black (Windows 7 and most software) D: Photos (WD 500MB Caviar Blue) E: DVD G: Simulator software (WD 1TB WD Caviar Black) and all...